Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Dallas REVIEW - MASTER THREAD.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.

Thompson Dallas appears to be opening tomorrow (November 11, 2020).

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/te...n-dallas/dfwth
---------------

1. Rates are mid 200s. It is a Cat 6. I tried numerous random dates over the next year and couldn't find any points only availability, just pts+cash.

2. I wish more mixed used buildings would put the hotel floors up top. Sooo many newer luxury hotels in the US with no good view. This will be another where best I can tell right now, hotel guests will have somewhat limited views on floors ~10-21.

I get such good treatment at the HR Dallas and GH DFW that I need a compelling stay report before shelling out the extra 100$ to try this out over the next couple of months. Then again, the pool deck, better access to attractions downtown, and the planned restaurants here are very tempting.....

Last edited by MarkOK; Nov 10, 2020 at 8:06 am Reason: Update the link
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:27 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
link doesn't work.
here another try: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/te...n-dallas/dfwth

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Thompson Dallas appears to be opening tomorrow (November 11, 2020).

www.hyatt.com/thompson-dallas

---------------

1. Rates are mid 200s. It is a Cat 6. I tried numerous random dates over the next year and couldn't find any points only availability, just pts+cash.

2. I wish more mixed used buildings would put the hotel floors up top. Sooo many newer luxury hotels in the US with no good view. This will be another where best I can tell right now, hotel guests will have somewhat limited views on floors ~10-21.

I get such good treatment at the HR Dallas and GH DFW that I need a compelling stay report before shelling out the extra 100$ to try this out over the next couple of months. Then again, the pool deck, better access to attractions downtown, and the planned restaurants here are very tempting.....
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK
In Office-Hotel buildings, normally the hotel section will be put on upper floors, Hotel-Residential buildings will prioritize residential section and put those residences/apartments on top.
MSPeconomist and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by 59Impala
link doesn't work.
here another try: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/te...n-dallas/dfwth
fixed!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
In Office-Hotel buildings, normally the hotel section will be put on upper floors, Hotel-Residential buildings will prioritize residential section and put those residences/apartments on top.
I suppose I wish we have more luxury hotels packaged in office buildings then!

I am just thinking about how in Asia, hotels are on top of it all, but in the US, the hotels are in the shadows.

I lived in a high rise with a great view for a few years, and honestly, the view wore off rather quick. But when you stay in a hotel for a few days (or even a few weeks), a nice view to the city you are visiting is worth a lot to me. Economics varies per city, but apartments for rent usually have a 100-300$ premium for the view per month in a city like Dallas. I would think a hotel could more easily charge 8-20$ more a night (assuming just 50% occupancy) being on top. Now, the tower with PHNY I can see making sense -- selling multi million dollar condos requires only the best possible of everything.

Admittedly, I am not involved in this industry so I might quite be missing something....
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Not much of a compelling reason but you can earn 500 Bonus Points for staying here through Jan 30, 2021.

Hyatt
MarkOK likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
The rate is $203 during Thanksgiving week. The lowest I have seen so far for this hotel.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Might go check it out during thanksgiving. Hopefully they give me a suite upgrade since I'm wasting money for no reason.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:15 pm

I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Dallas over Thanksgiving and jealous of your suite!
Old Nov 14, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Excited to have this as an option once business travel picks up! The regency doesn’t have a lounge and is pretty remote. This is a welcomed addition to Hyatt’s Dallas portfolio.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:44 am

A few reviews on tripadvisor but they seem to have been new accounts with no other reviews. I would guess friends of the hotel management/ownership group.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:47 pm

Anyone stayed here yet? Just wondering how it is as I've got a one night staycation coming up here this weekend with the prive rate. Figured it was a pretty good deal at $300 for the night but free breakfast, $100 credit for dinner (Catbird looks pretty good), and the confirmed upgrade.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Daftryan
Anyone stayed here yet? Just wondering how it is as I've got a one night staycation coming up here this weekend with the prive rate. Figured it was a pretty good deal at $300 for the night but free breakfast, $100 credit for dinner (Catbird looks pretty good), and the confirmed upgrade.
Catbird is a pretty cool venue for drinks, but both Catbird and Nine have limited menus right now.
The hotel itself seems like it's still in process.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by krazieman
Catbird is a pretty cool venue for drinks, but both Catbird and Nine have limited menus right now.
The hotel itself seems like it's still in process.
how are the covid precautions? I am a little nervous the hotel and restaurants are going to be crowded...
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Daftryan
how are the covid precautions? I am a little nervous the hotel and restaurants are going to be crowded...
I can't speak for the hotel, but the restaurant and bar did a good job distancing everybody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.