FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thompson Dallas REVIEW - MASTER THREAD.
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:14 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
In Office-Hotel buildings, normally the hotel section will be put on upper floors, Hotel-Residential buildings will prioritize residential section and put those residences/apartments on top.
I suppose I wish we have more luxury hotels packaged in office buildings then!

I am just thinking about how in Asia, hotels are on top of it all, but in the US, the hotels are in the shadows.

I lived in a high rise with a great view for a few years, and honestly, the view wore off rather quick. But when you stay in a hotel for a few days (or even a few weeks), a nice view to the city you are visiting is worth a lot to me. Economics varies per city, but apartments for rent usually have a 100-300$ premium for the view per month in a city like Dallas. I would think a hotel could more easily charge 8-20$ more a night (assuming just 50% occupancy) being on top. Now, the tower with PHNY I can see making sense -- selling multi million dollar condos requires only the best possible of everything.

Admittedly, I am not involved in this industry so I might quite be missing something....