Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Which Cat. 2 Hyatt in Phoenix is best for 8,000 points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

So I have 1 night in Phoenix before I catch a flight the next day. It's not an early flight (14:00PM). I have 8,000 Hyatt points, and never been to Phoenix before. I just wanted to ask which Cat. 2 8,000 point Hyatt is best in Phoenix? When I search there are like 5 or 6 different options including:

Arizona

I'm looking for best value and most comfortable rooms. I was originally thinking Tempe/Phoenix Airport because I'm flying out, but I saw the reviews aren't too good. I temporarily booked Mesa.. but I'm not sure if that's the best choice or what other more experienced Hyatt people recommend.

Would love to get any input and experiences with Hyatt in Phoenix. Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

They're all HPs. I would pick the closest one with the least commute because afterall it's just a room for the night.
MSPeconomist and dpb132 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
They're all HPs. I would pick the closest one with the least commute because afterall it's just a room for the night.
In my experience Hyatt Places can differ vastly from one location to another, not just in category but in quality.

For example - I would give HP Dallas Galleria 2/5 while Hyatt Place Pasadena a 4/5 as I’m sure many people would.

Not having stayed at the Phoenix locations I couldn’t say for sure, but a good way to determine is usually whichever is newer in Hyatt Places tends to be better quality.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:08 pm

Not gonna be the most helpful answer since I haven't stayed in any of those.
But if you've never been to Phoenix before, then I'd consider one of the category 3 Hyatt Places in Scottsdale Old Town. You're right there in Old Town. If you want to go hike Camelback, you're close by. Mind you, downtown Scottsdale is not everyone's cup of tea.
None of the ones you list are at particularly exciting locations... although the Tempe / PHX Airport one has a nice central location. Gilbert one's way out there and there's not much of interest out there. The North Phoenix one is actually near Metrocenter... forget about that one. Although it does give you an excuse to drive the freeway up through North Mtn / Piestawa Mt which gives you a striking taste of Phoenix's dramatic landscape. Btw, If you do stay in Tempe and you have time, you should hike the A Mountain.

Maybe extraneous info, but Hyatt Gainey Ranch is my favorite. I know you're looking for value and category 2. I like value also. But paid rate for Hyatt Gainey Ranch during hot months is quite reasonable. If you're going to be checking in fairly early (at least a couple hours before sunset), then I know I would be choosing Gainey Ranch if I were you. The pool complex there is unreal. There's even an artificial beach. We'd go spend a night there and be out in the pool/beach from check-in till dinner and breakfast till check-out. I just love it there.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
HP Tempe/Phoenix Airport is old and gross. Avoid.

The Mesa location is pretty good (better than any of the others), but I've never stayed there.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
In order of your list....forget No. 1
2 thru 4 are the newer properties
5 makes sense to me.
I've stayed in three of the five. Tempe more than the others for personal purposes.
This time of year, using points is not something I'd do. It's a good time to aim higher.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Maybe you just want to get rid of some points, but normally 8,000 points for an $80 room isn't good value.

Not much difference between HPs. Some are older, some are newer, but most have pretty similar rooms.

I happen to like the Tempe Mission Palms, which has interesting bars/restaurants nearby and an airport shuttle.
MSPeconomist and dpb132 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by evergrn
Not gonna be the most helpful answer since I haven't stayed in any of those.
But if you've never been to Phoenix before, then I'd consider one of the category 3 Hyatt Places in Scottsdale Old Town. You're right there in Old Town. If you want to go hike Camelback, you're close by. Mind you, downtown Scottsdale is not everyone's cup of tea.
None of the ones you list are at particularly exciting locations... although the Tempe / PHX Airport one has a nice central location. Gilbert one's way out there and there's not much of interest out there. The North Phoenix one is actually near Metrocenter... forget about that one. Although it does give you an excuse to drive the freeway up through North Mtn / Piestawa Mt which gives you a striking taste of Phoenix's dramatic landscape. Btw, If you do stay in Tempe and you have time, you should hike the A Mountain.

Maybe extraneous info, but Hyatt Gainey Ranch is my favorite. I know you're looking for value and category 2. I like value also. But paid rate for Hyatt Gainey Ranch during hot months is quite reasonable. If you're going to be checking in fairly early (at least a couple hours before sunset), then I know I would be choosing Gainey Ranch if I were you. The pool complex there is unreal. There's even an artificial beach. We'd go spend a night there and be out in the pool/beach from check-in till dinner and breakfast till check-out. I just love it there.
I wouldn’t advise hiking up Camelback mountain, probably until late October. High temps of 114+ are common, currently.

I’ve stayed at a few of these properties, and none stick out in my mind, one way or the other. I’ve stayed the most at the North location, years ago when there were some good promos, and I had Hyatt certs. Nothing special. Unless there is something else you want to visit, I’d stick with the one with a free airport shuttle.

There is an excellent Mexican Mexican (As opposed to a Gringo style Mexican) restaurant near the airport (43rd St and McDowell) that is excellent. Ruta 15 Mexican Grill. It has the best carne asada burrito I’ve ever had, and their vampiro tacos are great.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP doesn't say how long he/she will be near PHX. My normal priority for an overnight connection would be an operating hotel airport shuttle with reasonable frequency (or on demand service). IIRC there's also a light rail line that serves the airport and downtown Phoenix, so don't forget to check for hotels there in terms of easy logistics and relatively cheap airport transportation. If OP will have more time, Scottsdale would be fun, Andaz (main main pool and interesting restaurant and bar too) or Gainey Ranch, which is way up in northern Scottsdale, quite far from the airport. I also like Mission Palms in "downtown" Tempe if you want to walk around a bit.

Prices will be bargains now, do don't waste points.
beltway likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP doesn't say how long he/she will be near PHX. My normal priority for an overnight connection would be an operating hotel airport shuttle with reasonable frequency (or on demand service). IIRC there's also a light rail line that serves the airport and downtown Phoenix, so don't forget to check for hotels there in terms of easy logistics and relatively cheap airport transportation. If OP will have more time, Scottsdale would be fun, Andaz (main main pool and interesting restaurant and bar too) or Gainey Ranch, which is way up in northern Scottsdale, quite far from the airport. I also like Mission Palms in "downtown" Tempe if you want to walk around a bit.
I don’t think Gainey Ranch is “way up” in northern Scottsdale. Maybe in the late 80’s, it might have been described as such. If someone is getting a rental car, anything within 20 miles is generally going to be pretty easy to get to.

If you wanted some retro hotel stays, I think there are still some old hotel properties when Van Buren St was a notorious hooker stroll. I recall when a customer of mine came to town for a trade show 20 years ago, and mentioned laying on his bed, staring up in his room and seeing blood splatters on the ceiling. Ah, those were the days!
24.05.2004 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP will have more time, Scottsdale would be fun, Andaz (main main pool and interesting restaurant and bar too) or Gainey Ranch, which is way up in northern Scottsdale, quite far from the airport.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don’t think Gainey Ranch is “way up” in northern Scottsdale.
Gainey Ranch is definitely not North Scottsdale. It's below Shea, which is the traditional divider.
If you wanted some retro hotel stays, I think there are still some old hotel properties when Van Buren St was a notorious hooker stroll.
For a retro experience, Hotel Valley Ho is pretty cool, with classic mid-century architecture and furnishings, plus excellent service. The only issue I have there is the beds are waaaay too soft.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

I don’t think Gainey Ranch is “way up” in northern Scottsdale. Maybe in the late 80’s, it might have been described as such. If someone is getting a rental car, anything within 20 miles is generally going to be pretty easy to get to.

If you wanted some retro hotel stays, I think there are still some old hotel properties when Van Buren St was a notorious hooker stroll. I recall when a customer of mine came to town for a trade show 20 years ago, and mentioned laying on his bed, staring up in his room and seeing blood splatters on the ceiling. Ah, those were the days!
I'm a newbie with points and frankly right now only had 12,000 Hyatt points, which isn't much, and now I'm down to 8,000 only. I thought about just finishing the points. Is there a better strategy for saving the points for a later time to get more value out of them? I used 4,000 Hyatt points at the Tucson airport, and have 8,000 remaining.

I have a rental car that will go to PHX airport on day of flight. It's too bad had to pay the extra $75 surcharge for returning the car to Phoenix airport instead of Tucson where I got it, but seems easier to drive to to Phoenix than take public transit there with a lot of luggage.

I was hoping maybe one of the Hyatt Places would stand out especially in terms of cleanliness or comfort of the room. There is a price difference between them if I were to use cash.. like $80 for the airport location and up to $120 for other ones.Thought the more expensive ones might be better but I dunno.

It will be my first time to Phoenix, too bad it's only 1 night.. but also curious if there was only thing
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
As a local, I agree with the feedback above.
- 8,000 points is not a very effective use for one of these HPs overnight.
- If you decide to pay for the night rather than use points, stay in a better hotel and enjoy a good breakfast and with a nice vista somewhere in Scottsdale or Arcadia. Some of the ones that would be relaxing and have a pleasant environment would include:
A. The Royal Palms in Arcadia - an original hacienda mansion from the 1950s that is now a resort. Very nice grounds.
B. The Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale, which is a golf resort with very nice grounds.
C. The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch, which is usually a bargain and located on Camelback Lake.

For the hotels you listed originally:
1 - No. Right on the freeway in a grim part of Phoenix.
2 - No. In the middle of nowhere next to a dying mall.
3 - No. Out in the middle of nowhere amidst thousands of Canadian living in RVs.
4 - Sure. In the newly-developed part of Mesa just south of the Tempe Town Lake Riparian area, north of good dining in Mekong Plaza, just east of downtown Tempe's dining spots, fairly close to the airport.
5 - No. Bad reviews all around for this location, and not significantly easier to get to the airport than #4 .
Kacee, FlyingSloth and evergrn like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I'm a newbie with points and frankly right now only had 12,000 Hyatt points, which isn't much, and now I'm down to 8,000 only. I thought about just finishing the points. Is there a better strategy for saving the points for a later time to get more value out of them? I used 4,000 Hyatt points at the Tucson airport, and have 8,000 remaining.
Hyatt points are valuable. I don't like to waste them. To me "waste" is any redemption at a value of 1.5 cents per point or less. It's pretty easy to redeem them over 2 cpp.

Note that if you timely registered for the promo, and this stay is prior to October 8, you would get a 25% points refund (i.e., 2000 points back).
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Note that if you timely registered for the promo, and this stay is prior to October 8, you would get a 25% points refund (i.e., 2000 points back).
25% rebate is only if you have the Hyatt credit card, isn’t it? Otherwise 15%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.