Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chase discontinuing legacy $75 hyatt card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase discontinuing legacy $75 hyatt card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by xfisgsm
If we allow the card to convert, will we receive the 5 night stay credits next year (or will the conversion year be treated like the "first year")?
The fold-out cardstock mailer says you’ll get 5 night credits within 8 weeks after conversion.
xfisgsm likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
That's what I had initially planned, but mine doesn't renew until after the conversion, and there is no concrete proof that canceling the upgraded (even involuntary) card would allow me to maintain eligibility for the SUB (I did read your comments about value of SUB).
The terms for getting a new member bonus for the WOH card are “The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.” It appears that you would be able to get the SUB for a new WOH card after cancelling the upgraded card as long as you received the bonus for your legacy card more than 24 months before the date you apply for the WOH card.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:23 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Richard1148
The terms for getting a new member bonus for the WOH card are “The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.” It appears that you would be able to get the SUB for a new WOH card after cancelling the upgraded card as long as you received the bonus for your legacy card more than 24 months before the date you apply for the WOH card.
I realize that's what in the T&Cs. However, Chase can get around that by not approving me for the new WOH should I decide to cancel after I get upgraded card & then apply. That's a possibility and the risk I will need to factor in when deciding if I want to renew at the current rate.

LAX
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
I realize that's what in the T&Cs. However, Chase can get around that by not approving me for the new WOH should I decide to cancel after I get upgraded card & then apply.
I'm going to take that chance. I have been approved by Chase before for the same card again, but I waited a while before reapplying.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX
not approving me for the new WOH should I decide to cancel after I get upgraded card & then apply. That's a possibility and the risk I will need to factor in when deciding if I want to renew at the current rate.
That's the same risk/benefit question I'm dealing with. I have a few upcoming Hyatt resort stays in the $2k+ range, so the 1 extra point per $1 spend on the new card would outweigh the annual fee increase (plus the sign up bonus). But I also have some award redemptions over the coming months where the 25% points rebate is very sizeable. Loosing the rebate (if I weren't to get approved for a WOH card after cancelling) would be a big loss that the SUB would barely offset.

Is there a consensus on best tactics for cancelling and reapplying (e.g. how long you should wait between cancelling and reapplying, if you should reduce credit limit on other cards as an additional "safety", etc, etc)?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:05 am
LAX

Originally Posted by coleslaw
That's the same risk/benefit question I'm dealing with. I have a few upcoming Hyatt resort stays in the $2k+ range, so the 1 extra point per $1 spend on the new card would outweigh the annual fee increase (plus the sign up bonus). But I also have some award redemptions over the coming months where the 25% points rebate is very sizeable. Loosing the rebate (if I weren't to get approved for a WOH card after cancelling) would be a big loss that the SUB would barely offset.

Is there a consensus on best tactics for cancelling and reapplying (e.g. how long you should wait between cancelling and reapplying, if you should reduce credit limit on other cards as an additional "safety", etc, etc)?
IMHO, you have too much at stake to risk not getting approved, especially if you are thinking about cancelling & reapplying in a short time frame. I think I am going to wait for the conversion & renew at the current rate ($75), then see what happens a year from now.

LAX
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:06 am

I have a legacy Hyatt card... to be auto-converted to WOH card on Jan.11, 2021. My question is, will the spending between Jan. 1 and Jan.11 be counted towards the $5000 for 2 elite nights?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I have a legacy Hyatt card... to be auto-converted to WOH card on Jan.11, 2021. My question is, will the spending between Jan. 1 and Jan.11 be counted towards the $5000 for 2 elite nights?
I would follow notquiteaff 's recommendation and send a secure message to Chase to ask this question...and then let the rest of us know by posting their response here.

David
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LAX
IMHO, you have too much at stake to risk not getting approved, especially if you are thinking about cancelling & reapplying in a short time frame. I think I am going to wait for the conversion & renew at the current rate ($75), then see what happens a year from now.

LAX
Also, is there a need to take that risk, instead of waiting until after the redemptions?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Also, is there a need to take that risk, instead of waiting until after the redemptions?
10 extra elite qualifying nights plus 1 extra point per $1 during.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
No. The anniversary cert for the legacy Hyatt card posts before the fee is due.
once the legacy card is converted to WoH in January, will the cert still post before the fee is due?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:08 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by panpan
once the legacy card is converted to WoH in January, will the cert still post before the fee is due?
I would assume so unless current WoH holders can chime in otherwise or the policy is changed. I have a Marriott CC through Chase and the cert gets deposited before renewal fee is posted, thus this is typical practice for Chase.

LAX
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I would assume so unless current WoH holders can chime in otherwise or the policy is changed. I have a Marriott CC through Chase and the cert gets deposited before renewal fee is posted, thus this is typical practice for Chase.

LAX
In the WoH wiki, it says you get the cert 10 weeks after the fee is due
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:33 am

We have the legacy card and just received the free night for the year. What would be the wise move here, cancel now and then apply in a month to earn the sign up bonus?

I am guessing the free nights and points earned for now won't be clawed back. I just wish there was a decent upgrade offer...
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by calculus1918
We have the legacy card and just received the free night for the year. What would be the wise move here, cancel now and then apply in a month to earn the sign up bonus?

I am guessing the free nights and points earned for now won't be clawed back. I just wish there was a decent upgrade offer...
If it were me, I'd wait for the card to be converted and to get your 5 qualifying night credits from the converted card. Then cancel, wait for it to drop off your credit report and then reapply to get the sign up bonus and another 5 qualifying nights from the new card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.