FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Chase discontinuing legacy $75 hyatt card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2023202-chase-discontinuing-legacy-75-hyatt-card.html)

diesteldorf Aug 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Chase discontinuing legacy $75 hyatt card?

Just wondering if anyone else can confirm as I haven't seen any other announcements on Reddit or the travel blogs.

Apparently Chase will be migrating all legacy $75 annual fee Hyatt card holders to the new current $95 Hyatt card as of November, 2020.

Assuming this is true, will anyone be canceling the card? I'm not happy, but it's still a good deal at $95, and, I'll probably keep it.

Hopefully I'll be able to use my 2 existing certificates by next year.

bta15 Aug 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf (Post 32597643)
Just wondering if anyone else can confirm as I haven't seen any other announcements on Reddit or the travel blogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiyFzruX9ic

Apparently Chase will be migrating all legacy $75 annual fee Hyatt card holders to the new current $95 Hyatt card as of November, 2020.

Assuming this is true, will anyone be canceling the card? I'm not happy, but it's still a good deal at $95, and, I'll probably keep it.

Hopefully I'll be able to use my 2 existing certificates by next year.

I carry both of them, was able to double dip at a time when both were offering a signup bonus. I like to save the $20 bucks annually with the old card, but if they automatically convert it to the new card I will keep it because I usually get $150-$200 value out of the free night.

The real question is will I spend the $15k annually on the converted card to get another free night.

anchor79 Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm

If we apply now or close the old card before they convert us, will we able to get the new signup bonus later?

diesteldorf Aug 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by bta15 (Post 32597799)
I carry both of them, was able to double dip at a time when both were offering a signup bonus.

That's cool. I wasn't aware that there was a window that allowed people to apply for the new card if they already had the old one.

Originally Posted by anchor79 (Post 32597819)
If we apply now or close the old card before they convert us, will we able to get the new signup bonus later?

I definitely don't think that would be a problem, assuming you are eligible and under 5/24 If you are considering it, I would call Chase and move the majority of your credit line to another Chase card before you make the call to close the card. Then you can have them allocate some of your existing credit line to the new card.

mahasamatman Aug 11, 2020 7:22 pm

It would be a bummer, but I'll probably keep it anyway. I never use it, so any benefits other than the free night are meaningless.

Originally Posted by diesteldorf (Post 32597984)
I wasn't aware that there was a window that allowed people to apply for the new card if they already had the old one.

As far as I know, that's always been possible. Each card is a different product.

calculus1918 Aug 12, 2020 4:13 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32598118)
It would be a bummer, but I'll probably keep it anyway. I never use it, so any benefits other than the free night are meaningless.

As far as I know, that's always been possible. Each card is a different product.

If we close the legacy card right now, what would happen to our free night certificates? I don't have plans to travel till the pandemic calms down... Can I cancel, then reapply and keep the certificates for the long haul?

calculus1918 Aug 12, 2020 4:23 am

Wasn't aware that you can have both, this is from OneMile...

Can you have both Hyatt Credit Cards?

You’re unfortunately only able to have one Hyatt Credit Card or the other. The application terms of the new The World of Hyatt Credit Card state the following:
The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Hyatt Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.
In other words, you’re not eligible to apply for the new World of Hyatt Credit Card if you currently have the old Hyatt Credit Card, and/or if you’ve received a new cardmember bonus on the old card in the past 24 months. You can, however, upgrade to the new card.

diesteldorf Aug 12, 2020 5:44 am

Originally Posted by calculus1918 (Post 32598636)
If we close the legacy card right now, what would happen to our free night certificates? I don't have plans to travel till the pandemic calms down... Can I cancel, then reapply and keep the certificates for the long haul?

99% SURE, since that has been my experience with other hotel credit cards, but once the certificate is put in your hotel account, it should be separate from whatever you do with the credit card.

Hopefully, someone can confirm if the forced migration is true, since I don't want to spread rumors.

notquiteaff Aug 12, 2020 5:20 pm

I have resisted all offers to upgrade from my legacy card so far because the paltry bonus wasn’t worth the permanent AF increase. If this force migration is confirmed, I will cancel so I am eligible for a signup bonus for the WoH card at some point in the future.

DELee Aug 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32600323)
I have resisted all offers to upgrade from my legacy card so far because the paltry bonus wasn’t worth the permanent AF increase. If this force migration is confirmed, I will cancel so I am eligible for a signup bonus for the WoH card at some point in the future.

I would say this is for me as well.

Had been toying with cancelling the Hyatt Rewards Card earlier this year - but kept it since I didn't see a big difference (and that was back on March 1st!).

I haven't done much travelling since early March anyway and have shifted spending away from Marriott to Hilton (AMEX point bonii) or this Hyatt Card (where AMEX not accepted - looking at you Costco...), one of my better non-moves.

David

UVU Wolverine Aug 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32600323)

Im in the same situation. I didn’t think the annual fee increase was worth it, and I solely use the card for my Hyatt stays so the annual free night is the biggest factor in the card for me.

conde Aug 12, 2020 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine (Post 32600611)
Im in the same situation. I didn’t think the annual fee increase was worth it, and I solely use the card for my Hyatt stays so the annual free night is the biggest factor in the card for me.

I agree. I have had the original Chase Hyatt Visa for 7 years, which is up for renewal in September. I will probably cancel the card. Maybe in the future, I will apply separately for the WoH card, for the signup bonus. Over the past few years, I have had some good redemptions for the annual Chase Free Night Award, such as at the Park Hyatt Saigon. There have also been some ordinary redemptions. Since the Chase Annual Free Night cannot be used with Club Access Awards, I see little future value. I can always find a way to use the Chase free night, but more often than not, using the Cat 4 Free Night at Hyatt isn't my first choice where I want to stay. The same would hold true for the Chase WoH Visa, $20 more per year.

UVU Wolverine Aug 12, 2020 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by conde (Post 32600718)
I agree. I have had the original Chase Hyatt Visa for 7 years, which is up for renewal in September. I will probably cancel the card. Maybe in the future, I will apply separately for the WoH card, for the signup bonus. Over the past few years, I have had some good redemptions for the annual Chase Free Night Award, such as at the Park Hyatt Saigon. There have also been some ordinary redemptions. Since the Chase Annual Free Night cannot be used with Club Access Awards, I see little future value. I can always find a way to use the Chase free night, but more often than not, using the Cat 4 Free Night at Hyatt isn't my first choice where I want to stay. The same would hold true for the Chase WoH Visa, $20 more per year.

I was getting to the point where finding a use for the Cat1-4 free night was difficult, but my family and I moved back to AZ. Since the Hyatt Residence in Sedona is only a Cat 4, it’s a pretty good use of it for a quick one night getaway. The rates I’m seeing for when I want to stay are over $300/night!

While a $20/year increase in the annual fee isn’t much, it would make me consider just cancelling. I need to slim down how many different CCs I have anyways, so this is a good excuse.

TTT103 Aug 13, 2020 8:19 am

This move by Chase makes me wonder if they will be consolidating all of their legacy cards that are no longer being issued sometime down the road. I'm thinking specifically of the $49 IHG card and Ritz Carlton card.

diesteldorf Aug 13, 2020 11:57 am

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 32601388)
This move by Chase makes me wonder if they will be consolidating all of their legacy cards that are no longer being issued sometime down the road. I'm thinking specifically of the $49 IHG card and Ritz Carlton card.

I also thought about the $49 IHG card as you have. At $49, it is worth it preserve my points and get a free night, even if it is limited to 40,000. If it jumped to $89, the value wouldn't be nearly as good, though I've seen many Intercontinentals that are 40,000 and under, but I am guessing that is only a temporary situation because of Covid-19.

I value the Ritz card pretty highly as well, but am less concerned for any potential changes.

Chase may see this product as a potential way to keep valuable, potentially higher spend, customers away from Amex, since some of them would surely defect to the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card (though the Ritz card is clearly better in my opinion).

The Ritz product gives them a loophole to keep and retain these customers, since Marriott has since awarded all basic cards to Chase and premium cards to Amex. It's one of the reasons Amex stopped offering their former SPG/Marriott Bonvoy $95 fee card, but I've heard that Amex will also allow customers to downgrade their Bonvoy Brilliant card to the Bonvoy $95 card if requested, much like Chase will allow customers with a basic Marriott card to upgrade to the Ritz.

Regarding the Hyatt card, I hope it isn't true, but an extra $20 isn't enough to make me cancel. If I travel to Chicago, Boston, or New York, a Category 4 Marriott certificate will put me at an airport hotel on the outskirts of the city or suburbs.

Conversely, there are category 4 Hyatt free-night hotels within city limits, close to downtown. When I went to Paris a couple years ago, I was able to get a room with a great view of the Eiffel Tower that normally went for around $300.00.