Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chintzy offer from Hyatt for those having to cancel for Corona Virus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chintzy offer from Hyatt for those having to cancel for Corona Virus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Now that travel for EU residents is banned to the USA, Hyatt is going to have to refund the Europeans who cannot get here? I await the update to their policy. I am sure it is coming soon........
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I contacted The Eliza Jane in NOLA, which since it isn't even branded Hyatt I assume is a franchise. They said and I quote "Hyatt has advised that we are not to refund full prepayment/non-refundable cancellations but we will issue 10,000 points to be used on future stays."

That very much reads as though Hyatt could direct the hotel to offer refunds for prepaid reservations, but they've opted not to do so at this time. I suggest anyone reading this thread email their specific hotel, as well as Hyatt corporate, to push them to offer free cancellations. This isn't the type of event where it's a failure to plan around... I was 100% certain I could make the trip outside of this type of black swan event.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Now that travel for EU residents is banned to the USA, Hyatt is going to have to refund the Europeans who cannot get here? I await the update to their policy. I am sure it is coming soon........
You'd think so. But Argentina has also banned flights from the EU, and I can't get a refund on the Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
You'd think so. But Argentina has also banned flights from the EU, and I can't get a refund on the Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires.
Argentina has banned flights or travellers who have been in Europe?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Argentina has banned flights or travellers who have been in Europe?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Foreign and Commonwealth Office
On 12 March the Argentine President announced a 30 day suspension of all international flights from the UK (as well as the whole of Europe, the US, China, Japan, South Korea and Iran) to Argentina. This suspension is expected to come into force on 16 March.

The government has also imposed a mandatory 14 day self-isolation period for anyone travelling to Argentina from any of the countries listed above, in order to limit the spread of the virus. See Health
I suppose Hyatt's view is that technically I could wait two weeks in a quarantine before checking in to the Park Hyatt, but by the time my canoe gets to Argentina this whole thing is likely to have blown over anyways.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
The EU hotel I had booked for Thurs (5 nights) - canceled me with no penalty...even though it was inside 48 hr window. Not a pre-paid reservation...but was inside the window
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:23 am

An update on my post above - after much insistence, the Park Hyatt Buenos Aires refunded my prepaid room.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
As a mere Discoverist, I was able last night to get an award reservation starting this Sunday cancelled without penalty by sending a DM to HyattConcierge on Twitter. I was already past the 7-day cancellation / 2-night penalty deadline. I mentioned the changes to IHG's and Hilton's policies in my message to them.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
Hyatt updated their policy regarding this
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/info/cor...alertbanner_en

Reservations can be canceled for a full refund til April 30th even if its a pre-paid rate. The 10K PTs offer is still valid for cancelling prepaid rates through May-June.
JonIND and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cvseuy

Reservations can be canceled for a full refund til April 30th even if its a pre-paid rate. The 10K PTs offer is still valid for cancelling prepaid rates through May-June.
Thanks for the update, I’m glad they’re doing the right thing.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
In this current time, it is just best to wait for policies to update as COVID-19 is an ongoing issue. We shouldn't just jump to conclusions until a statement is made.

If competitors are making consumer-friendly changes, then its likely for Hyatt to follow suit.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by cvseuy

Thanks! The statement in your link also says this:

New reservations for any future travel:Any reservation you make between March 13, 2020, and April 30, 2020 – for any future arrival date – can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
This means there's no reason to book any regular member rates at this time if you don't mind paying now, right? Anything I am missing?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CIT85
Non-refundable reservations are only at the discretion of the individual hotels if you want to cancel/postpone your stays. Hotel chain has no control.

I've had non-refundable reservations that hotels allowed me to change dates, I never asked for refund only change to future dates.
I was in Spain on vacation when the s**tshow hit the fan early Thursday morning Europe time. After I changed my return flights to the US, I called Hyatt hotel I was supposed to check in Thursday for 3 nights on a prepaid, non-refundable 3rd night free rate for 500 euros total and informed them of the circumstances leading me to return to the States and asked for consideration of refund. I also emailed the hotel contact who had reached me earlier and requested consideration or refund. By the time my flight landed in IAD, hotel had emailed me back and stated that my payment will be refunded.

I called the hotel at 4:30 AM local time, before the planned 3 PM check in time.

I just read the updated Hyatt cancellation policy to cover my scenario, even though this was done before new policy was in effect.

Last edited by CIT85; Mar 13, 2020 at 3:09 pm Reason: Hyatt new policy reflected.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:57 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
This means there's no reason to book any regular member rates at this time if you don't mind paying now, right? Anything I am missing?
Why would you want to tie up your money for any length of time now ? I'm making several bookings at higher end properties for next winter and early spring and I'm seeing less than a 2% discount for the Advance Purchase Rates. For that little return, I'll keep the money in my pocket.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by skj
Why would you want to tie up your money for any length of time now ? I'm making several bookings at higher end properties for next winter and early spring and I'm seeing less than a 2% discount for the Advance Purchase Rates. For that little return, I'll keep the money in my pocket.
Thanks for the reply. I'm asking because of one booking in particular which is 3 months from now and 9% cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.