Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chintzy offer from Hyatt for those having to cancel for Corona Virus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Edited to add the following on March 14, 2020:

After Hilton and IHG offered to return money, Hyatt improved their offer as well. If you have a stay through April 30, 2020, you may now request a rebooking or refund. Unfortunately, for May or June, 2020, bookings, the chintzy offer remains, but the new policy is definitely an improvement.

************************************************** **************************************************

Just got an email from Hyatt CEO Mark Hoplamazian. If you need to cancel a fully pre-paid reservation through June 20, instead of letting you do it penalty-free, Hyatt will give you a measly 10,000 points if you don't use the booking. No, not even per night, that's for the entire booking. Some of you may know I am a huge Hyatt fan but this offer (which has further conditions including a time limit) seems really tacky.

Here's the entire letter I got:

Dear Richard,

I am reaching out on behalf of the entire Hyatt family to assure you that in times of uncertainty surrounding travel, your safety and wellbeing remain our highest priority.

We understand that you may be experiencing stress given the rapidly changing information on travel restrictions and cancelled or postponed public events. We want you to know that we are monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation closely, keeping those who are affected in our hearts, and are listening carefully to the questions and concerns we receive from guests such as yourself.

Inspired by Hyatt’s purpose – we care for people so they can be their best – I would like to share a few updates that might help as you consider your next visit.

Confident in our care

Providing safe and clean environments for our guests and colleagues is always a top priority for Hyatt hotels globally – even more so today. We remain committed to upholding the highest standards of cleanliness, and want you to feel at ease when you visit Hyatt hotels, knowing you’ll experience the quality you expect from the Hyatt brand.

The below precautionary and response measures are helping us continue to provide a safe and clean environment:
  • Comprehensive COVID-19 guidance is in place at Hyatt hotels globally, detailing how to protect against transmission of the virus (including implementing hand sanitizer stations and frequent cleaning of high-touch areas), and procedures in case there is a suspected or confirmed case among our guests or colleagues
  • Cross-functional, global response teams, including infectious diseases and occupational health experts, provide guidance to our hotels and help address specific needs and situations when needed
We will continue monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) updates, and will respond based on the advice of governments, public health authorities, and medical professionals.

Flexible in your travel plans

We believe in responsible and safe travel while staying vigilant and following the recommended procedures and protocols by the World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and local authorities.

Hyatt hotels continue to welcome business and leisure travelers with our established operational excellence and commitment to care.

As a reminder, to provide additional flexibility to our guests with travel plans in countries with severe travel restrictions, Hyatt is waiving cancellation fees for stays through March 31, 2020 for the following:
  • Guests residing in Greater China, South Korea, Japan and Italy with reservations at Hyatt hotels globally
  • Guests with reservations at Hyatt hotels in Greater China, South Korea, Japan and Italy
Guests who booked via online travel agents or other third parties are advised to contact their booking provider for information on their policies and for assistance.

We understand the need for increased flexibility with travel planning right now. To help guests, World of Hyatt is now extending special exceptions for all Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations made directly with Hyatt on or before March 8, 2020 for travel through June 2020. If interested, guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may opt to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points compensation in lieu of their stay to use toward future travel at any of our 900+ hotels across 17 brands globally. For full details and to make arrangements, guests can call one of our Global Contact Centers or email us at [email protected]. Guests must contact us at least 48 hours before their stay to elect this (World of Hyatt Explorists and Globalists must contact us at least 24 hours before their stay dates to elect this). For interested non-members, colleagues will be able to quickly assist with enrolling the guest into World of Hyatt and creating a World of Hyatt account to deposit the points.

Committed to inclusion and respect

While travel – our shared passion – may temporarily be challenged, at Hyatt we believe in its enduring power to connect us and move us closer to our vision: a world of understanding and care. At all times, we remain grounded in our purpose and focused on our values of inclusion and respect. COVID-19 does not distinguish between nationality, race or geographic origin, and Hyatt’s steadfast commitment to inclusion and care guides our actions, at our properties and in our communities.

Thank you for your support and your loyalty. We will keep you updated through this dynamic situation and can’t wait to welcome you at one of our hotels soon.

My best, MARK HOPLAMAZIAN
President & CEO

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 14, 2020 at 1:42 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
What are other hotel groups offering if people decide to cancel prepaid advance reservations globally? Is it chinzy?
nancypants and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
So basically, if I purchased a stay of a couple of nights at $200/nt (we are not talking including tax or any fees) and I go, I earn the night credit of 2 nights and 2,000 base points. BUT - if I decide I don't want to travel due to COVID-19, I can cancel it at least 48 hours prior and Hyatt will give me 10,000 bonus points? How is that "chintzy?" Because I'm still coming away with something and it's actually the equivalent of $2000 spend. Yes, I know it's not "base" points but still. Really, they don't have to do anything if they don't want to.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:00 pm

Obviously for people who have 1 night booked, they can make out. People who have non refundable stays of like 7 days, 10k is nothing. I have a week in korea and a week in tokyo next month but they fortunately aren't prepaid.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Again, I don't understand what the beef is. If you are purchasing nonrefundable stays, you are trading flexibility and the ability to cancel for a low price. You know what you're doing, right? You are specifically choosing to book this type of stay, it's not like you're wanting a stay that can be canceled and you are forced to purchase a nonrefundable.

The terms of a nonrefundable are no refunds and I think you can't make any adjustments either. So you know what you're buying. To call an offer a company DOESN'T have to make "chinzy" just shows everyone there is really nothing that makes anyone happy that doesn't bankrupt a company. It's really sad.

And if you have stays that can be canceled, the letter doesn't apply.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrldwide1
So basically, if I purchased a stay of a couple of nights at $200/nt (we are not talking including tax or any fees) and I go, I earn the night credit of 2 nights and 2,000 base points. BUT - if I decide I don't want to travel due to COVID-19, I can cancel it at least 48 hours prior and Hyatt will give me 10,000 bonus points? How is that "chintzy?" Because I'm still coming away with something and it's actually the equivalent of $2000 spend. Yes, I know it's not "base" points but still. Really, they don't have to do anything if they don't want to.
Sorry for misspelling "chintzy" in the headline (which only a moderator can correct).

As to your main point, you don't get the stay which is the vast majority of what you paid for! And if you stay in higher grade Hyatts, like I tend to do, you get only enough points for 1/3 of a free night (or maybe even less).

Contrast this with how many airlines which are letting you cancel non-refundable tickets and receive a full refund.

Marriott's current policy allows penalty-free cancellation at all hotels located in a list of affected countries. It isn't clear whether this applies to non-refundable reservations. It appears that Hilton is doing the same.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Marriott's current policy allows penalty-free cancellation at all hotels located in a list of affected countries. It isn't clear whether this applies to non-refundable reservations. It appears that Hilton is doing the same.
Same as hyatt right?

plus hyatt offers 10k for any non refundable at other locations... seems more generous to me...
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wrldwide1
I wonder if Hyatt has anticipated that some people may game this 10k points thing. I know Hyatt had someone who was aware of gaming of hotel loyalty program promotions with China stays has been in a league of its own before.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m not sure I follow the title, but the offer seems quite generous to me. It is a non flexible booking, so you should be taking this up with your travel insurer.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’m not sure I follow the title, but the offer seems quite generous to me. It is a non flexible booking, so you should be taking this up with your travel insurer.
Agreed. Hyatt don't have to do anything of the sort, but have made a useful gesture. They can't force hotels to cancel non-refundable bookings for free, especially those hotels that are nowhere near the current hotspots for the coronavirus.

And, as always, some people think for some reason that "non-refundable" doesn't actually apply to them...
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I personally do not consider this to be a very generous offer, but regardless of whether you think is it generous or chintzy, it is definitely scattershot. Someone who can't use a 7-night prepaid reservation at PH Vendome gets the same 10,000 points as someone who can't use a 1-night prepaid reservation at a podunk Hyatt Place.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I think the 10K points per stay is pretty odd and chintzy.

I have a prepaid stay coming up next weekend for $76 for one night. It seems like I should cancel, collect my 10K points, and then rebook! On the other hand, I have a NYC trip in the summer where a stay is 3.4K. I could save about $300 by booking the advanced purchase rate, but if I can't travel (for whatever coronavirus related reason), 10K does indeed feel like a cheap trick.

I think Hyatt would be better served by serving its customers a little better in this situation.

(for a point of reference, though every situation is different, when Eyjafjallajökull erupted in 2010, I had 4 different hotels booked in Europe over 2 weeks on non-refundable rates. I had no problems getting full refunds for all hotels, as well as inter European flights, and train/bus tickets. Hotels don't usually blame the customer for one-off events outside their control.)
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I received the email as well. I read it differently (and quite possibly wrong), I assumed that any prepaid reservation to any country, made before March 8 could be cancelled and fully refunded as well as being able to receive the 10,000 points?? What's the point of not getting the prepaid amount back, if you make the decision to cancel due to Corona concerns. As others here mentioned, there is a vast difference between property costs and a blanket 10,000 points has a wide variance of value.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: Globallist
Any trip over 21 days out, I haven't booked a non-refundable reservation in the last 20 years. I never would, don't care what the savings is. My travel changes more often than it stays as originally booked. BOTH personal and business.
MSPeconomist and birdiedouble like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steveholt
What are other hotel groups offering if people decide to cancel prepaid advance reservations globally? Is it chinzy?
I had two prepaid stays at the St Regis Florence and St Regis Rome and received a full refund for both, so I'd say yes, very weak offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.