Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Emotional support dogs and pet fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional support dogs and pet fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't think that the size of the animal or the length of the stay is really important here. Once there is an animal in the room (even a small one, even for just one day) I hope that they are doing a proper deep cleaning of the room, including steam cleaning the carpets and any furniture that the animal may have sat on. Some people do have severe animal allergies after all. This cleaning costs money and time (it may make the room unavailable for a night after your stay) so I think that the per-stay fees are reasonable (not so much the per-day ones -- that's ridiculous) I hope that they are actually doing this and not just pocketing the fee without actually doing anything special to the room -- that would be a rip-off and also a disservice to the future customers.
I'm skeptical that they are deep-cleaning these rooms or steam-cleaning the carpets & furniture after every dog stay. With the huge collective number of nights stayed by members of this board...has anyone ever seen or heard a steam cleaner being used by housekeeping in a guest room?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mysterym
so you have a fake card? you are part of the problem.
6 years ago fake cards did not exist all around the Internet , so the answer is NO
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ehallison
I'm skeptical that they are deep-cleaning these rooms or steam-cleaning the carpets & furniture after every dog stay. With the huge collective number of nights stayed by members of this board...has anyone ever seen or heard a steam cleaner being used by housekeeping in a guest room?
I would bet money 99% of the time they are not. In this example there was dry vomit on my patio and when I took a wet towel to wipe water off the wood floor in kitchen area it was black
Many humans especially children make much lore of a mess than some well behaved animals ...just saying
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
6 years ago fake cards did not exist all around the Internet , so the answer is NO
you make no sense

there is no ESA card

so whatever you had you made or purchased aka its FAKE
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I would bet money 99% of the time they are not. In this example there was dry vomit on my patio and when I took a wet towel to wipe water off the wood floor in kitchen area it was black
Many humans especially children make much lore of a mess than some well behaved animals ...just saying
The room should be cleaned whether children, pets, or none of the above stayed in it. The issue VegasGambler mentioned is that a fee is specifically charged for pets, which one would hope goes toward deep-cleaning after every pet stay. I'm doubtful.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This seems like a totally reasonable way to approach it.

I think that the problem is that there are some people who think that they are entitled to special treatment.

Having said that, I don't think that there's a technical difference between a "real" ESA and a "fake" one, since there are no laws around ESAs. Absent regulation around ESAs, there's no formal definition to judge "real" vs "fake". But you aren't trying to get any special treatment, so I don't think that this really matters.

I don't think that the size of the animal or the length of the stay is really important here. Once there is an animal in the room (even a small one, even for just one day) I hope that they are doing a proper deep cleaning of the room, including steam cleaning the carpets and any furniture that the animal may have sat on. Some people do have severe animal allergies after all. This cleaning costs money and time (it may make the room unavailable for a night after your stay) so I think that the per-stay fees are reasonable (not so much the per-day ones -- that's ridiculous) I hope that they are actually doing this and not just pocketing the fee without actually doing anything special to the room -- that would be a rip-off and also a disservice to the future customers.
There are fake ones - those who get a letter from an internet doctor. My husband's letter comes from an MD whom he has seen for 10 years. He fills out all the proper forms for airline travel, and we assume responsibility.

As well, my husband is allergic to most dogs. We specifically got one that is hypoallergenic (for most people). He is small. We travel with items to clean up after him should the need arise. It has not. We still wipe the floor with clorox cleanup or Lysol around the entire area we put his wee wee pad (if he uses it).

People like the OP are ruining it for the rest of us.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:39 pm

There is no card. My husband has a letter, from a real MD, with a license number on it an phone numbers to each of his two offices. We travel with that letter in the event someone asks for it. We also travel with the airline forms we've had to provide as proof he's been vaccinated and healthy.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:41 pm

I've only seen one room steam cleaned before my arrival. A penthouse suite in the HR Waikiki and I believe it was their general rotational cleaning. OR, the previous guest had one heck of a party there
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:37 am

I worked in hotels for over a decade. I worked in two upscale hotels plus a chain of 30 hotels where I worked in Central Reservations. Every time an animal was in a room, it was deep cleaned. Every single time.
ehallison likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:00 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I worked in hotels for over a decade. I worked in two upscale hotels plus a chain of 30 hotels where I worked in Central Reservations. Every time an animal was in a room, it was deep cleaned. Every single time.
That is good to hear that the fee is actually being used and not just collected ...
VegasGambler likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 20, 2020 at 7:37 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:55 am

Funny thing I noticed.... the hotels I've been in (mostly Hyatt with a Disney thrown in), when I've gone to wash down the bathroom floor in the area of the wee wee pad the floor was disgustingly dirty - and it wasn't from the dog. This was years of caked on dirt that wasn't visible until you used a real cleaner on it.

Perhaps they should worry less about steaming the carpets and clean the floors better.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Full disclosure: I love dogs. My wife is allergic to dogs and we always inform the airlines and they tend to move her (and not the dog) if there is a dog near us, even when I am a top tier elite. Mary2e , my wife appears to be allergic to hypoallergenic dogs as well. We tried several kinds because we wanted to have a dog.

We have many friends with dogs who honestly think that because their dog is so wonderful and loving that my wife isn't really allergic to their dog.

We were staying in Florida earlier this month and friends of ours from Boston, who had just retired, were on a road trip to the South. The husband had become very attached to an extremely well-behaved short-haired dachshund, who died, so they bought a whiny, poorly behaved long-haired dachshund. He is happy to say that animal is a support animal when they fly (though he admits that this is just to get around paying for the animal to fly). They reported getting kicked out of a Ritz Carlton because the dog barked -- he does whine for extended periods whenever his papa is not with him. We would not let him bring the dog into our house in FL or at home, but Anyway, he brought the dog to meet us for dinner at a restaurant (we asked for outdoor seating) and he ate with the dog in his lap.

This seems like weird, entitled behavior. I have no issue with true service dogs -- people need them for mobility. There may be some cases where a person's psychological disability makes it difficult or impossible for them to travel without the pet for 2 or 4 hours. But, my sense from people I know is that the system has been grossly abused and the pendulum needs to swing back.

On cleaning, my wife can be allergic to chemicals used in cleaning but she has never reported being allergic to dogs/cats in a hotel room. So, that probably suggests that the hotels are deep-cleaning as described by writerguyfl .
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
It looks like the DOT has become concerned about the abuse of ESAs and is proposing regulation that makes it clear that an ESA is not a service animal unless there is a documented psychiatric disability and the animal has the same kind of training as a service animal. (https://www.regulations.gov/document...018-0068-12959). Per the link, it is soliciting public comments on its proposed new rule. It is not clear to me how well this will close the loophole that current pet-owners use to fly for free with their pets. How much will it cost to get an online psychiatrist or psychologist to diagnose a psychiatrist disability and to pay for certification that the animal has received the appropriate training? Given that the alternative to free transport is paying for a kennel (or dog-sitter/dog-walker) or to pay to ship the animal, I suspect that a number of the folks I know would pay for the bogus diagnosis and training.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawbridge
It looks like the DOT has become concerned about the abuse of ESAs and is proposing regulation that makes it clear that an ESA is not a service animal unless there is a documented psychiatric disability and the animal has the same kind of training as a service animal. (https://www.regulations.gov/document...018-0068-12959). Per the link, it is soliciting public comments on its proposed new rule. It is not clear to me how well this will close the loophole that current pet-owners use to fly for free with their pets. How much will it cost to get an online psychiatrist or psychologist to diagnose a psychiatrist disability and to pay for certification that the animal has received the appropriate training? Given that the alternative to free transport is paying for a kennel (or dog-sitter/dog-walker) or to pay to ship the animal, I suspect that a number of the folks I know would pay for the bogus diagnosis and training.
Well if they're trained properly and servicing a true need, fine. Even if it's a bogus need, as long as the dog's trained to service animal standards, I don't see an issue. Sure, some rich people will get over on a fat cat corporation that's business model is nickel and diming travelers into profitablity. Don't care as long their dog is actually trained.
And it'll certainly keep barnyard animals and reptiles out of cabins. Maybe even the kind of people who think bringing farm animals onto an airplane is somehow appropriate.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by shawbridge
I would pay not to have to keep him in a small kennel under the seat. He is better behaved than most children I've seen in flight. His last flight he slept the whole way on one of our laps and didn't make a single sound, nor even sniff the person in the aisle (we were window & middle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.