Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Emotional support dogs and pet fee

Old Feb 17, 20, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite

I have been traveling with my dog for 5-6 years and have a card. I have always of course registered the dog and every single time no questions asked they waive the fee. In the middle of a Bay Area trip and now just checked into my 3rd Hyatt since Friday at the Hyatt House Emeryville. The front desk guy who was rude from the start asked what purpose does she serve , told him the answer and he says “nope wrong answer” we charge for that. I then asked to speak with the manager and although he finally waived it said that’s the policy and always has been. I guess I have just always been lucky in the past ? From now on it makes no sense if that’s the policy to stay in 3 or 4 different locations in a given week since that is potentially 3 or 4 pet fees
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
ESA are not service dogs and are not covered under the ADA. If you want to travel with one, you need to pay pet fees.

Under the ADA, unless you can answer the following questions, your dog is not a service animal: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
Old Feb 17, 20, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sch_flyer View Post
ESA are not service dogs and are not covered under the ADA. If you want to travel with one, you need to pay pet fees.

Under the ADA, unless you can answer the following questions, your dog is not a service animal: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

good to know for the future. Had about 150 different check ins over the years and this is the first time
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cbrown5294 View Post
I have been traveling with my dog for 5-6 years and have a card. I have always of course registered the dog and every single time no questions asked they waive the fee. In the middle of a Bay Area trip and now just checked into my 3rd Hyatt since Friday at the Hyatt House Emeryville. The front desk guy who was rude from the start asked what purpose does she serve , told him the answer and he says “nope wrong answer” we charge for that. I then asked to speak with the manager and although he finally waived it said that’s the policy and always has been. I guess I have just always been lucky in the past ? From now on it makes no sense if that’s the policy to stay in 3 or 4 different locations in a given week since that is potentially 3 or 4 pet fees
There's no "card" that verifies that an ESA is officially recognized or is entitled to special treatment. Anyone can buy an ESA card and vest on the internet.
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - ESA has become a major controversy to the travel industry.

So you may be lucky in the past, you should expect stronger than ever resistance given the abuse.
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:59 pm

A card like this?

https://smile.amazon.com/Just-Paws-H...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old Feb 17, 20, 9:31 pm

From now on it makes no sense if that’s the policy to stay in 3 or 4 different locations in a given week since that is potentially 3 or 4 pet fees
It makes perfect sense, actually. While some hotels do nothing but keep the pet fee, many other actually will do a deep cleaning every time a pet occupies a room. In that situation, the pet fee is used to cover the costs to ensure future guests aren't bothered by your pet.

If you stay at 7 different hotels in one week, you should be paying 7 different pet fees. Additionally, an emotional support dog is not a service dog.
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:37 pm

Nothing excuses rudeness from the FD, but also there's no reason for them to waive the pet fee (or even allow pets at all)
FLTripper and Dsm2m2 like this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have a real ESA, not a fake one who used an internet "doctor" to get the letter.

In any event, I only stay at pet friendly Hyatts OR I contact the hotel and tell them he's all of 9 pounds and trained. I pay the pet fee whenever there is one. Sometimes the hotel doesn't actually charge it.

I stayed at the GH Tampa and paid their $100 pet fee. I also stayed in Disney and paid the obscene pet fee of $50 a DAY.

If you're only staying one night, I was contact the hotel in advance and ask if the fee could be reduced or waived. I wouldn't talk to the front desk about it upon arrival.
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
good to know for the future. Had about 150 different check ins over the years and this is the first time
consider yourself fortunate and look at all the money you saved. I own two dogs and am fine with that in My residence. When I travel I don’t want dog smells permeating my room. This is why they charge the fee so they can cover additional cleaning costs periodically.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:19 am

so you have a fake card? you are part of the problem.
Old Feb 18, 20, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The recent controversies highlighting ESA abuse coupled with the DOT NPRM (which does not affect hotels) has put a spotlight on the issue. My guess is that hotels have come to understand that they need not waive pet fees other than for qualified service animals and the practice will spread.

If people want to travel with an animal which is not a service animal, that is fine. But, there is no reason why the fees ought to be waived and operating costs subsidized by one set of pet owners over another.
Old Feb 18, 20, 1:29 pm

op what you have is known as a Pet. fees are typically charged for those.
shillard likes this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
I have a real ESA, not a fake one who used an internet "doctor" to get the letter.

In any event, I only stay at pet friendly Hyatts OR I contact the hotel and tell them he's all of 9 pounds and trained. I pay the pet fee whenever there is one. Sometimes the hotel doesn't actually charge it.

I stayed at the GH Tampa and paid their $100 pet fee. I also stayed in Disney and paid the obscene pet fee of $50 a DAY.

If you're only staying one night, I was contact the hotel in advance and ask if the fee could be reduced or waived. I wouldn't talk to the front desk about it upon arrival.
This seems like a totally reasonable way to approach it.

I think that the problem is that there are some people who think that they are entitled to special treatment.

Having said that, I don't think that there's a technical difference between a "real" ESA and a "fake" one, since there are no laws around ESAs. Absent regulation around ESAs, there's no formal definition to judge "real" vs "fake". But you aren't trying to get any special treatment, so I don't think that this really matters.

I don't think that the size of the animal or the length of the stay is really important here. Once there is an animal in the room (even a small one, even for just one day) I hope that they are doing a proper deep cleaning of the room, including steam cleaning the carpets and any furniture that the animal may have sat on. Some people do have severe animal allergies after all. This cleaning costs money and time (it may make the room unavailable for a night after your stay) so I think that the per-stay fees are reasonable (not so much the per-day ones -- that's ridiculous) I hope that they are actually doing this and not just pocketing the fee without actually doing anything special to the room -- that would be a rip-off and also a disservice to the future customers.
Old Feb 19, 20, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post

Very reasonable attitude.

IMO if the ESA is legitimate, the owner ought to be completely willing to pay any pet fees and/or adjust their planning appropriately. Otherwise it's just a scam to get out of paying those fees.
MSPeconomist and writerguyfl like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: