Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House/Place Shanghai Hongqiao CBD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ch...qiao-cbd/shazh

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ch...qiao-cbd/shaxh

I'm new to Hyatt so I'm not sure where Place and House lies in Hyatt's line of brands. It seems like these two hotels are next to one another and the price is fairly similar. It also doesn't seem to be too far from a subway station, which I like. Anyone here been there before? I'm looking for some comments on this property. I'm currently a Hyatt Discoverist and potentially be a Explorist by the time I get back to Shanghai.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hyatt Place and Hyatt House are the base level brands. House is said to be more towards family, but those are almost the same.

Foreign hotels are generally considered better and priced very attractively. If you don’t need the super luxury like Ritz Carlton or Park Hyatt, they are very good economic stays.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun
Hyatt Place and Hyatt House are the base level brands. House is said to be more towards family, but those are almost the same.

Foreign hotels are generally considered better and priced very attractively. If you don’t need the super luxury like Ritz Carlton or Park Hyatt, they are very good economic stays.
Have you been to this hotel before?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:49 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by lsquare
Have you been to this hotel before?
Not this particular one. We generally like to stay at hotels with club lounges on status.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
These are pretty standard HP/HH. HH is a bit more apartment style with a kitchen. Both share the same breakfast area.

When I went last year, Google Maps had them in an entirely different position than reality. Hongqiao station is massive and hard to figure out. Finding these hotels (or the shuttle bus) even more so.

Once you've found the hotels, they are quite convenient for a day trip to Zhujiajiao. And the metro into Shanghai isn't too long or difficult.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
These are pretty standard HP/HH. HH is a bit more apartment style with a kitchen. Both share the same breakfast area.

When I went last year, Google Maps had them in an entirely different position than reality. Hongqiao station is massive and hard to figure out. Finding these hotels (or the shuttle bus) even more so.

Once you've found the hotels, they are quite convenient for a day trip to Zhujiajiao. And the metro into Shanghai isn't too long or difficult.
Sounds like you've been here before. Would you go with HP or HH? The price difference is minimal. I'm not sure why one is more expensive than the other though.

I've been to Hongqiao station a few times before and you're right, it's massive. Are these two hotels far from the station? I'm assuming I can just take line 2 from PVG all the way to Hongqiao Station to reach the hotels?

Can you comment on what the breakfast is like?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ch...qiao-cbd/shazh

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ch...qiao-cbd/shaxh

I'm new to Hyatt so I'm not sure where Place and House lies in Hyatt's line of brands. It seems like these two hotels are next to one another and the price is fairly similar. It also doesn't seem to be too far from a subway station, which I like. Anyone here been there before? I'm looking for some comments on this property. I'm currently a Hyatt Discoverist and potentially be a Explorist by the time I get back to Shanghai.

Thanks.
Is Hongqiao really considered the CBD = central business district of Shanghai?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is Hongqiao really considered the CBD = central business district of Shanghai?
I'm not an expert on that. I think maybe moondog will know. Hongqiao is not really that close to Pudong, which is where the tourists go.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not an expert on that. I think maybe moondog will know. Hongqiao is not really that close to Pudong, which is where the tourists go.
Tourists go to Pudong? I don't think so. They all want to see the Bund and go to the big cultural anthropology museum.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tourists go to Pudong? I don't think so. They all want to see the Bund and go to the big cultural anthropology museum.
Well...there are lots of shopping malls and the Oriental Tower is in Pudong so maybe that's more like my thing then?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:22 pm

Yeah, the iconic Oriental Tower and its Shanghai history museum are in Pudong, but it's more fun to look at it from Puxi. I don't come to China to spend time in modern shopping malls with stores selling imported merchandise.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, the iconic Oriental Tower and its Shanghai history museum are in Pudong, but it's more fun to look at it from Puxi. I don't come to China to spend time in modern shopping malls with stores selling imported merchandise.
I should clarify that I've been to Shanghai before. It's not something I do each time I go to Shanghai. My point is that most people that I know would go to see stuff like that. I'm not saying the Bund isn't a nice place to go to. It is. I've been there dozens of time. In my opinion, Shanghai probably have the best shopping experience in all of Mainland China.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I don't come to China to spend time in modern shopping malls with stores selling imported merchandise.
Yeah, malls are not for me. They all become the same after a while.

Also, I am mesmerized by the food in Shanghai (and China in general) - OMG! one time I ate 36 xiaolongbao in one sitting.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:15 pm

Personally, I vote for the food in Hong Kong and Singapore, plus fewer concerns about food safety. In fact, Singapore is one of the few places where I will voluntarily consume stuff from street vendors (or the equivalent). The restaurants in mainland China without basic hot water and toilet facilities scare me.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Personally, I vote for the food in Hong Kong and Singapore, plus fewer concerns about food safety. In fact, Singapore is one of the few places where I will voluntarily consume stuff from street vendors (or the equivalent). The restaurants in mainland China without basic hot water and toilet facilities scare me.
Hong Kong and Singapore have different kinds of cusine. It's not a contest which country has better food, at least not for me; I eat my way throught all of them. Good food is good food.

Hot water? Haha, try asking for cold water in Chinese restaurant.
Hydro88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.