Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Prague REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Prague REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
I'd give a King's ransom to go back in time and be able to have visited Prague at 19 - 20! I've had chances over the years and have always just put it off because of the "oh, I can do that later when I'm less busy (non PC translation - making more money today is more important than leisure travel)," but my perspective has completely changed. After what I've experienced the last couple of years, f'it, I'm going.

Matter of fact, without thought, just booked flights, hotels and will just make it up as I go when I get there!
Was my last trip in Jan 2020 before all this ludicrous idiocy started and I enjoyed it immensely. My spouse passed on going with me because "we have so many other trips booked this year." Boy was that a missed opportunity. Great place, great country. Never put off until tomorrow what you can travel to today.
Visconti and js1993 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
Was my last trip in Jan 2020 before all this ludicrous idiocy started and I enjoyed it immensely. My spouse passed on going with me because "we have so many other trips booked this year." Boy was that a missed opportunity. Great place, great country. Never put off until tomorrow what you can travel to today.
Yeah, I can remember my final trip to HK as if it were yesterday, because after that, the world went crazy. My only regret is that I had listened--for a brief time--to these "do it for Grandma" folks and will regret that to the end of my days. The next time, irrespective of "their" cries, I'm telling them to f'off and go pound sand.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:24 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Andaz Brand Debuts in Czech Republic With The Opening of Andaz Prague

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124233
First Hyatt hotel in the Czech Republic marks continued growth with its luxury lifestyle brand across Europe
CHICAGO (March 14, 2022) - Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) announced today the opening of Andaz Prague, the first Hyatt hotel in the country, and the fifth Andaz hotel in Europe. The 176-room Andaz Prague marks a significant milestone in the continued growth of Hyatt’s luxury lifestyle brand in Europe and is considered to be one of the first luxury lifestyle hotels in the city.

The hotel is located on Senovážné Square, within the magnificent and historical ‘Sugar Palace’ that dates back to 1916, orginally built for the influential Sugar Industry Insurance Association. The building has since been carefully restored and preserved. True to the brand’s promise of creating a luxury lifestyle experience that is woven into the fabric of the local culture, Andaz Prague has deep roots to the city of Prague and is currently an extension of Prague’s thriving arts, cultural and fashion scene. With Josefov, Prague’s Jewish quarter known for its rich history, and the commercial hub of New Town nearby, along with inspiring museums, incredible architecture and a variety of local shops to enjoy, Andaz Prague offers guests the very best of its locale.“As the Andaz brand is known for stimulating the creativity and curiosity of each guest, we are honored to introduce the brand to the Czech Republic,” said Doris Hecht, general manager at Andaz Prague. “We are excited to welcome guests to Andaz Prague where we offer a unique experience through distinctive expressions of the local culture.

The beautiful city of Prague continues to inspire many travelers to explore its rich offerings and Andaz Prague’s location offers guests the opportunity to take in some of the most stunning historic sites in Europe.”

Concept and Design

Andaz Prague is a luxury lifestyle masterpiece, housed in the striking and historical Sugar Palace. Situated close to Wenceslas Square, the Old Town Square, and the historic Municipal house (Obecní Dum), some of the most renowned historic sites in Europe are within walking distance. A juxtaposition of heritage and modernity, Andaz Prague encapsulates the local culture that surrounds it while offering unparalleled luxury and comfort designed to elevate the senses.

Guestrooms and Suites

176 thoughtfully-designed rooms and suites capture and combine the city’s rich heritage with modern creativity to deliver a luxurious respite with breathtaking city views. The rooms offer comfortable beds, many that are guarded by Bruncvík’s lion atop the blue velvet bedposts, which is a reference to one of many Czech legends that inspired the entire concept of the property.

Guests can experience Prague's bohemian luxury with a plethora of beautiful suites, including the spacious, corner Residence Suites that feature windows that open to views of Prague’s Dancing Fountain. The palatial 1,400 square foot (130 square meter) Penthouse Suite offers stylish, handcrafted furnishings, ornate moldings, a marble fireplace and an exquisite sunroom.

Dining and Entertainment

Guests and locals will delight in a modern Czech bistronomy within ZEM, which serves a combination of bistro dishes created with haute cuisine methods. Local ingredients coming from Moravia and Bohemia are crafted into modern versions of Czech comfort food through, using high-quality ingredients and natural flavors. The menu also honors the influences of authentic Nikkei, which include Japanese meat dishes from the charcoal grill and handmade dumplings.

The standalone MEZ bar delivers an exhilarating atmosphere for both locals and visitors. The signature cocktails, infused with local ingrendients, are inspired by the historical figures of Prague.

Social Spaces

The Andaz Studios include three flexible event spaces that can accommodate anything from boardroom meetings to intimate private dinners, or can be combined into one large 1,615 square foot (150 square meters) space for conferences, receptions and corporate events.

The unique meeting spaces are inspired by Prague bygone sugar barons that used the building in the early 20th century. Meeting spaces Collegium 1 and 2 feature magnificent, high, ornate ceilings and oak parquet flooring, with sunlight flooding these rooms through their grand windows.

Wellness

Guests can enjoy a rejuvenating workout in the fitness center with state-of-the-art cardio equipment and free weights. The property also offers spa services by Klara Rott, the award-winning, world leader in natural organic skincare.

The 26th Andaz hotel globally and the fifth Andaz hotel in Europe, Andaz Prague invites curious travelers and neighborhood guests to uncover the historical roots of this thriving modern city. It joins Andaz Munich Schwabinger Tor and Andaz Vienna Am Belvedere, Andaz London Liverpool Street and Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht.

For more information about the hotel, please visit: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/cz...z-prague/prgaz

Guided by its purpose of care, Hyatt’s multi-layered Global Care & Cleanliness Commitment further enhances its operational guidance and resources around colleague and guest safety and peace of mind. More information on Hyatt’s commitment can be found here: hyatt.com/care-and-cleanliness
demue likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Drew523
I booked my stay here few months ago through points advance. Will be staying at the end of April, hopefully the service and rooms are great. redemption was 88k for 4 nights.
Matter of fact, without thought, just booked flights, hotels and will just make it up as I go when I get there!
Have either of y'all stayed here yet? Likely spending a few nights in Prague soon, curious to hear reports of the property!
Old May 7, 2022, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Have either of y'all stayed here yet? Likely spending a few nights in Prague soon, curious to hear reports of the property!
Not yet, but will in several weeks, assuming life doesn't throw a money wrench into my plans. I just need to rearrange my return flight via CDG, since in the unlikely event I test positive before my return, France is the only foreign country I'd be willing to "be at the mercy of" in that scenario.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Not yet, but will in several weeks, assuming life doesn't throw a money wrench into my plans. I just need to rearrange my return flight via CDG, since in the unlikely event I test positive before my return, France is the only foreign country I'd be willing to "be at the mercy of" in that scenario.
If at first you don't succeed, test, test again...

I just booked 4 nights here later in the summer. Took advantage of the 50,000-mile Delta One redemptions into FRA (by way of 39,000 Chase points per ticket, transferred to VS). Will take the train over to Dresden, spend a couple nights at the Autograph Collection joint there, then train down to Prague, then head to Menaggio on Lake Como. Found availability to use SWUs on AA for the ride back. The only thing I'm really paying for (other than the $400 airfare that I upgraded on the way back) is the Andaz Prague, 25k/night points didn't seem worth it with rates at 352 euro. All the other hotels fell into place on points -- I was expecting a lot more difficulty playing the points game this summer!

ETA: I applied a TSU. The standard suite here is the "junior suite" and the premium suite is the "Andaz Suite." I will wait until I get there to call shenanigans / to add this to the growing list of properties that has a non-real-suite as the TSU standard suite. Interestingly, the junior suites have a (wide) range of 43 to 71 sq meters, whereas the Andaz Suite is listed as 53 sqm w/ a separate living room. There are also a bunch of fun-looking larger suites that I may inquire into paying for if no further upgrade happens to be forthcoming at check-in.

Last edited by platbrownguy; May 7, 2022 at 11:15 pm
Old May 8, 2022, 2:38 am

If at first you don't succeed, test, test again...

I just booked 4 nights here later in the summer. Took advantage of the 50,000-mile Delta One redemptions into FRA (by way of 39,000 Chase points per ticket, transferred to VS). Will take the train over to Dresden, spend a couple nights at the Autograph Collection joint there, then train down to Prague, then head to Menaggio on Lake Como. Found availability to use SWUs on AA for the ride back. The only thing I'm really paying for (other than the $400 airfare that I upgraded on the way back) is the Andaz Prague, 25k/night points didn't seem worth it with rates at 352 euro. All the other hotels fell into place on points -- I was expecting a lot more difficulty playing the points game this summer!

ETA: I applied a TSU. The standard suite here is the "junior suite" and the premium suite is the "Andaz Suite." I will wait until I get there to call shenanigans / to add this to the growing list of properties that has a non-real-suite as the TSU standard suite. Interestingly, the junior suites have a (wide) range of 43 to 71 sq meters, whereas the Andaz Suite is listed as 53 sqm w/ a separate living room. There are also a bunch of fun-looking larger suites that I may inquire into paying for if no further upgrade happens to be forthcoming at check-in.
I'll post a review shortly but I applied a TSU and was placed into a junior suite. There were no further upgrades though I'm not sure if it's because I was upgraded from a base twin room instead of a king as the junior suite had separate beds.

The real distinction between the junior and the Andaz suites seems to be whether or not you get a properly separated living room as I'd like to believe that my junior suite was one of the larger ones. It was on the top floor facing the dancing fountains (it sounds better than it looks) and was sandwiched between two of their specialty suites as those showed up on the floor map with an extra corner nook.

Room size aside, it was probably my favorite stay in large part due to the a la carte breakfast which had European/Japanese fusion elements and the dishes were different than your standard breakfast offerings.

In the meantime, here's a pancake from breakfast.

Old May 8, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FatPigs

Pancake? Looks like puffed pastry.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:05 am

Room size aside, it was probably my favorite stay in large part due to the a la carte breakfast which had European/Japanese fusion elements and the dishes were different than your standard breakfast offerings.

Glad to hear it!

Originally Posted by CIT85
Pancake? Looks like puffed pastry.
Looks like a stack of Japanese style pancakes to me! My wife loves those.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:06 pm

Stayed 4 nights at the Andaz Prague, just got back over the weekend. I got upgraded to a Junior Suite upon check in, and the rooms had a pretty good size and well worth the 22k per night.. The hotel is pretty awesome, everything is still pretty new and great location. Got a a tram line right behind the hotel and about 8-10 min walk from the central train station as well. The staff was super friendly and nice. The breakfast is ala carte like FatPig said which is nice and different than your typical breakfast buffet, you go in each morning and place your order and it is made to order. They give you like ridiculous amount of bread in the bread basket everyday. Also, Andaz will give you small accessories if you need like they had a list of small items they will provide to you free of charge such ... shaving cream, razor, laundry detergent, comb/brush, etc. We requested it and they brought it up within 10 mins. Also, the unlimited mini bar was great, it was awesome the first night but the novelty wore off because I'm not going to clean it out every night. No alcohol, just water, juices, 2 small snacks and soda.

I'm not a big photography person but here are my crappy photos of the Jr Suite. Had some more photos but whatever reason it won't upload.

Old May 11, 2022, 4:49 pm

I'm not a big photography person but here are my crappy photos of the Jr Suite. Had some more photos but whatever reason it won't upload.
Awesome, thanks for the pics! Def glad I burned the TSU to ensure I will get that room or better for our 4 night stay.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Stayed 4 nights at the Andaz Prague, just got back over the weekend. I got upgraded to a Junior Suite upon check in, and the rooms had a pretty good size and well worth the 22k per night.. The hotel is pretty awesome, everything is still pretty new and great location. Got a a tram line right behind the hotel and about 8-10 min walk from the central train station as well. The staff was super friendly and nice. The breakfast is ala carte like FatPig said which is nice and different than your typical breakfast buffet, you go in each morning and place your order and it is made to order. They give you like ridiculous amount of bread in the bread basket everyday. Also, Andaz will give you small accessories if you need like they had a list of small items they will provide to you free of charge such ... shaving cream, razor, laundry detergent, comb/brush, etc. We requested it and they brought it up within 10 mins. Also, the unlimited mini bar was great, it was awesome the first night but the novelty wore off because I'm not going to clean it out every night. No alcohol, just water, juices, 2 small snacks and soda.

Awesome pics - thanks for them and the stay report!

David
Old May 12, 2022, 4:04 am

Excellent stay

Andaz Prague

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Andaz Prague

Excellent stay (26 Photos)

Andaz Prague

We booked the Andaz Prague for 88,000 points for 4 nights and applied a TSU to our reservation. From a value perspective, the hotel doesn't have a standard twin room but is automatically blocked into a deluxe room. If you care about how many cents per point you get, this should help :) 

The hotel is located a few blocks from the main train station which makes the trip an easy walk. Though its location is within walking distance from most tourist sites, street noise was minimal and mostly came from pedestrians or the wheels of nearby trams. Conveniently, the property can be accessed from two sides and one of the entrances puts you immediately by the Jindrisska tram stop. Named after the tower directly beside the hotel, this area is a major tram hub and branches out to many different areas of the city which makes exploring even easier.

IMG_0314.JPEG

Check In

One of the employees greeted us at the entrance, took our luggage, and guided us past a long white hallway with blue accents toward the lobby. Like most Andaz properties without standard check in desks, checking in here is done over a large kitchen island. Welcome drinks were offered and the rest of the process was straightforward as I had already applied a TSU to my stay. Though no further upgrades were offered beyond my standard suite, the host had mentioned that I was blocked into a twin suite as I was previously booked into a standard twin room. The website lists junior suites as varying anywhere from 43-71 sqm, a designation which seemed to be a catch-all for their open-plan suites below a specialty suite.

The rest of the lobby was new and contemporary with splashes of colors and accents everywhere. Though we never saw anyone using this area, the hotel didn't seem to be very full in the middle of April. Towards the back wall was another inspired decor choice that seemed to recall the property's previous life as a sugar factory (office?). The remaining floor space was devoted to the hotel bar and the hotel restaurant, as well as meeting spaces and a restroom. One floor below that was the spa and gym, which we skipped due to the ample amounts of walking over the past week. The gym was relatively small and hidden behind several layers of doors and corridors and had no views given its subterranean location. 

IMG_0333.JPEG1_IMG_0334.JPEG2_IMG_0335.JPEG

Room

Opposite the check in area were two elevators that took us to our suite on the fifth (top) floor. Along the way to the room the walls were accented by plaster motifs that tied back to the historical and legendary nature of the city. A pair of suites were hidden behind an exterior door, ours and what I presume to be one of the Wintergarden suites based on the floor maps. 

Inside past the door was an open closet with hangers, a hat rack, complimentary umbrellas (very useful), and the in-room safe. To the left of that was a living room featuring a work table (missing a wastebasket, though), a bust of an unknown figure, a buffet table for refreshments, and a sofa setup with a ton of extraneous decor pieces. Also, real plants! The sleeping area was partitioned by a media console with the TV on a swivel, depending on where you wanted it to face. The bedside table had a B&O bluetooth speaker, a socket, and a built-in USB-C charger, which was also convenient. 

1_IMG_0297.JPEG1_IMG_0293.JPEG2_IMG_0294.JPEG1_IMG_0296.JPEG

Our welcome amenity was placed on the buffet table in the room beforehand and I had mistaken part of it for decor had it not been for the granola mix beneath it. Fruit was provided and the minibar was free as usual, though there were no alcoholic drinks inside (given how much beer we drank, not really a problem). The highlight was a strawberry lemonade that I admit to having smuggled into our next hotel. Additionally, there was a local soda and some ginger ale that tasted partially like kombucha.

1_IMG_0303.JPEG

Unlike a lot of Andaz properties with exhibition style bathrooms, the one here was fully enclosed (but not locking). Inside were dual vanities,  a large soaking tub along with two rooms for the toilet and the shower. This was so far the only hotel to feature a bidet - not as good as a Japanese heated seat bidet - but an integrated bidet, nonetheless. Amenities were provided by Klara Rott, a local cosmetics supplier, which were decent except for the conditioner which was rather runny.

1_IMG_0298.JPEG1_IMG_0299.JPEG1_IMG_0300.JPEG

The view directly from our room window. Sadly, the doors only open for some fresh air but won't extend all the way out. Directly below was the dancing fountain and had further views of the National Memorial on Vitkov Hill. I was expecting the 'dancing' fountain to be more interactive but it was really referring to the four musician statues that surround the fountain. 

1_IMG_0318.JPEG

Service

Service was a clear highlight of the hotel despite only having just opened, as everyone we interacted with was personable and eager to help. I was most impressed by housekeeping as we didn't see them a single time over our four days here and we were in our room during odd hours such as the afternoon. Not having housekeeping knock before 10 AM to wake you up was a real benefit. Every time we returned in the evening, the room was always cleaned, the minibar restocked (except for the chocolate pretzels, sadly). Turn down service came in separately to place or replace slippers by the bed and to refresh any water bottles that had been consumed. Speaking of water, three options were present in the minibar: still, lightly sparkling, and regular sparkling. We drank a ton of water and never ran out during our stay, though a water dispenser is also available by the lobby elevator.

Dining

I appreciated the breakfast setup at this hotel, which was essentially an a-la-carte buffet. In addition to some traditional European assortments, the menu clearly played with traditional Czech and Asian elements that made hotel breakfast considerably less boring after hopping through three prior hotels. Globalists are entitled to the entire menu, without limits, and are started off with a massive bread basket. We sampled almost the entire menu over four days, and can recommend mostly everything, though the menu is likely to change. Fun touches on food I appreciated was the fluffy, traditional Czech bread served beneath the benedict and mushroom scramble. Most of the sweet options were also well made, with a special mention to the coconut chia pudding (not photographed, oops). It's hard to condense four days of breakfast into a paragraph, so the pictures will have to suffice. 

As an aside, our waitress for the first two days was excellent at changing plates/tableware, and even swapped in chopsticks for the gyoza as seen in the photo below. Service was equally friendly the last two days, but they weren't as proactive in swapping out tableware. This was the only dip in service I could recall, but it was minor, all things considered. 

IMG_0320.JPEGIMG_0321.JPEG1_IMG_0319.JPEG1_IMG_0324.JPEG1_IMG_0325.JPEG1_IMG_0327.JPEG1_IMG_0328.JPEG1_IMG_0410.JPEG1_IMG_0412.JPEG1_IMG_0560.JPEGIMG_0562.JPEGIMG_0558.JPEG

Overall

We had an excellent stay here and the hotel was surprisingly polished for having just opened. I highly recommend waking up before sunrise and walking to Charles Bridge :)

IMG_0484.JPEG

Excellent stay

Would you like to write a review on the Andaz Prague?

No, thank you.
Yes
chad75, TravisMT81, demue and 8 others like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:48 am

a bust of an unknown figure
Wonderful review!

Do you think the bust is meant to be "unknown" or meant to represent some famous Czech? (Could be Milan Kundera?)
Old May 12, 2022, 10:35 am

FatPigs, excellent detailed review and photos. A lot better than my basic photos haha. I agree with everything you said. I didn't see much guest around at all and the lobby was completely empty other than a AMS event they had. The bar area only had a few people that I saw each night. Location was great and real convenient.

platbrownguy - For your trip I would reccomend the following restaurants: Lokal, its a insanely popular and casual restauant with cheap beer (pilsners) and local food. Pricing is really inexpensive too, beer in general in Prague is like $2.50 USD for a pint. They have multiple locations but I would suggest making a reservation. Quick eats, Nase Maso which is a butcher shop but they have a small area for dining which as awesome burgers and Czech sausages and cured meats. If you want fine dining or Michelin star dining at a reasonable price (compared to the US) then you have 2 options: Field or Le Degustation. We went with Le Degustation and the food was great, you would need to make a reservations several weeks out at minimum for a decent timeslot. One thing I did notice that many Czech dishes were very salty, I like eating salty foods but even I was like dang that is salty haha.

In general, other than the main touristy places I felt like if you didn't have a reservation they would just tell you no or they booked our for the night. Luckily we had reservations every night other than one
platbrownguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.