Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by akleopard
Silly question, are you allowed to order more than one item per course (e.g. 2 starters or 2 desserts)?

Also, do they allow you to do the same meal twice? For example breakfast at 7 then again at 11?

Hope I’m not coming off as a glutton . Just want to make sure my parents know what they can ask for while here.
Yes, you can pick more than one if you need.

Originally Posted by oc2005
Currently having a great stay here -- gorgeous property and very friendly staff. We booked a forest shower suite as a premium suite using points and it's a nice room, but definitely what I would call a junior suite not a full suite with bed/living separation. I wish Hyatt would have a more consistent naming scheme for suites since it used to be a room like this would always be called a junior or studio suite, but now it's harder to predict what you're going to get based on the suite name. Dinner at Sur House was excellent, though menu was much more limited than the sample menu they have on their site (3 courses, not 4 as the sample menu showed, and not as many options). Here is the menu plus some of the food...it was all delicious.

We are here now as well, and I think they are experimenting with the new menu still. Two nights ago it was indeed 4 courses, but dinner took over 2 hours.
TM849b likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Alaska MVP, Caesars Diamond, MGM Gold
Dinner at Sur House was excellent, though menu was much more limited than the sample menu they have on their site (3 courses, not 4 as the sample menu showed, and not as many options). Here is the menu plus some of the food...it was all delicious.
Ugh that's pretty disappointing. Food was great when we went last Labor Day weekend, and it looked like the "new" menu still had a bunch of legacy items, although none of the simple preparation options that used to be at the bottom of the old menu that are now part of in room dining. It looks like the PDF on the website is just from this past weekend, so that's wild that they change the menu so frequently.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lexi123
Ugh that's pretty disappointing. Food was great when we went last Labor Day weekend, and it looked like the "new" menu still had a bunch of legacy items, although none of the simple preparation options that used to be at the bottom of the old menu that are now part of in room dining. It looks like the PDF on the website is just from this past weekend, so that's wild that they change the menu so frequently.
The good news is they do change up the menu nightly -- I was afraid we'd get tired of the same very few dishes, but they did mix them up tonight (though is was still only 3 courses/5 options). They also did encourage us to get more than one dish per course if we wanted, and you can get an entrée size main of a appetizer (which we did). I did notice a weird thing that many of the items don't quite match up with the description, so watch out for that especially if you have an allergy/aversion. Menu and pics below.

​​​​​​​Also, highly recommend the falconry for any animal/bird/nature lovers -- worth every penny (pics also below). I think my wife hit the nail on the head what this place is -- adult (luxury) summer camp. We're definitely returning, and next time we're planning on 3 nights since 2 seemed a little quick.

Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I was told by the front desk that the menu on their website is the latest. Hoping that is the case next week.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
I was told by the front desk that the menu on their website is the latest. Hoping that is the case next week.
Looks like they have updated the dinner menu on the site to reflect the new 3 course/5 choices menu they currently have. Interestingly it also now lists a price ($95 for 3 courses) - wonder if that means they are reopening dinner service to non resort guests?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:59 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Looks like they have updated the dinner menu on the site to reflect the new 3 course/5 choices menu they currently have. Interestingly it also now lists a price ($95 for 3 courses) - wonder if that means they are reopening dinner service to non resort guests?
The Sur House has been open for lunch and dinner to outside guests for at least a month now (when we were there).
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:25 am

They sure did, they updated the website menu last night or this morning. Have a 5 night stay coming up, not happy at all with this new menu.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
They sure did, they updated the website menu last night or this morning. Have a 5 night stay coming up, not happy at all with this new menu.
Yeah, the new menu does look fairly thin. I'd be apprehensive on a five night stay too. Maybe they're limiting the standard menu to allow for more interesting nightly specials? Since they have a new executive chef, that would be my hope. I guess it depends on how much freedom the property owners are giving him.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lomic
Yeah, the new menu does look fairly thin. I'd be apprehensive on a five night stay too. Maybe they're limiting the standard menu to allow for more interesting nightly specials?
Spoke to Chef when we stayed last week.

The plan is to do an A menu and B menu, and rotate between the two. Average stay is 3 nights so that covers most people.

That being said, it does look like the same number of items in total as the single menu. The food is so rich - everywhere - by the third night I ended up just doing the simply prepared menu. That's with me skipping lunch.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by drnilescrane
Spoke to Chef when we stayed last week.

The plan is to do an A menu and B menu, and rotate between the two. Average stay is 3 nights so that covers most people.

That being said, it does look like the same number of items in total as the single menu. The food is so rich - everywhere - by the third night I ended up just doing the simply prepared menu. That's with me skipping lunch.

is the simple still an option? That would help.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:39 pm

I also just noticed that they opened up the pool and other facilities to the general public via resort pass. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a turnoff at a $2,000+ a night property, IMO.

https://www.resortpass.com/hotels/alila-ventana-big-sur
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:59 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Cmag211
I also just noticed that they opened up the pool and other facilities to the general public via resort pass. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a turnoff at a $2,000+ a night property, IMO.

It looks like they sell only 4 passes for any given date.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cmag211

New owners specifically said they were going to start mining for ancillary revenue at the spa and the restaurant - we shouldn't be surprised that signs of both of those initiatives are starting to pop up.

I also said something flippant in this thread a year ago about how close to 90% of guests staying here must be on points... and I believed that based on my trip roughly one month after they reopened with the all inclusive model.

After this trip, I'll absolutely take that back. You can tell who is paying cash and who is on points (and I say that as a points traveller who also loves Four Seasons).

They currently have 50 rooms to sell, and at least 6 of those are for standard redemption. I don't know how many standard suites and premium suites they sell on points (and within that group, they aren't obligated to make all of them available for redemption).

As we know, the goal is to sell out 100% of the place 100% of the time for maximum Hyatt reimbursement. Upgrading Globalists to suites so they can re-sell the rooms again close in is part of that. Talking to people around the place, it seems like a lot of people do swoop in for the last moment, < 24 hours notice redemption as part of a larger trip.

Staff seem be incentivized in some way based on this happening - I know they earn gratuities based on occupancy.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Aug 25, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
New owners specifically said they were going to start mining for ancillary revenue at the spa and the restaurant - we shouldn't be surprised that signs of both of those initiatives are starting to pop up.

I also said something flippant in this thread a year ago about how close to 90% of guests staying here must be on points... and I believed that based on my trip roughly one month after they reopened with the all inclusive model.

After this trip, I'll absolutely take that back. You can tell who is paying cash and who is on points (and I say that as a points traveller who also loves Four Seasons).

They currently have 50 rooms to sell, and at least 6 of those are for standard redemption. I don't know how many standard suites and premium suites they sell on points (and within that group, they aren't obligated to make all of them available for redemption).

As we know, the goal is to sell out 100% of the place 100% of the time for maximum Hyatt reimbursement. Upgrading Globalists to suites so they can re-sell the rooms again close in is part of that. Talking to people around the place, it seems like a lot of people do swoop in for the last moment, < 24 hours notice redemption as part of a larger trip.

Staff seem be incentivized in some way based on this happening - I know they earn gratuities based on occupancy.
This property, while nice and Adults Only, is not worth $2,000 a night for a base room, not even for the Big Sur Suite.

I think most here would place the value per night at $600 a night, if a complimentary upgrade to a Suite is expected than possibly $800. Both valuations are including the All Inclusive program.

Those paying cash rates either have money to blow or are on a group rate which is negotiated and not publicly available.

Let’s say they sell all 60 rooms every night of the year and it averages to $1,000 per room per night with Hyatt Reimbursements, Group Rates and everything coming in. That’s 60k per night and 22 Million a year and that’s assuming less than 50% of the standard rate and not even increasing for suites.

For such a Small property that revenue level is insane. There are many many properties 5 times the size (300 Rooms) that don’t even make half that (11 Million), some not even 25% (5.5 Million) of that.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Those paying cash rates either have money to blow
The post right before you seems to imply that this crowd is becoming more prevalent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.