Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:31 am

Has anyone done the free foraging hike? Unfortunately my stay doesn't match up with the Falconry experience.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:00 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1k650
Well, for whatever it is worth, there is a standard room still available for tonight! But nothing 13 months out.
Saying the room is "still available" is probably not correct. More likely, it's newly available as the guest holding the reservation has been upgraded to a different room.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ocAndrew
Has anyone done the free foraging hike? Unfortunately my stay doesn't match up with the Falconry experience.
How early are people booking their experiences?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by skj
Saying the room is "still available" is probably not correct. More likely, it's newly available as the guest holding the reservation has been upgraded to a different room.
Likely was my booking. Had standard points room and got upgraded to a premium suite for my stay
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by cleanes
How early are people booking their experiences?
Booked falconry and bee keeping about 5 days out
Old Feb 19, 2022, 2:20 pm

I managed to book 8/1-8/4 at 30k/night. It seems there's a 3-day minimum for most (all?) days for award bookings. FWIW, I was able to book a 2-day stay a month and a half ago, so the 3-day minimum must be new.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by satellite779
I managed to book 8/1-8/4 at 30k/night. It seems there's a 3-day minimum for most (all?) days for award bookings. FWIW, I was able to book a 2-day stay a month and a half ago, so the 3-day minimum must be new.
Thanks for sharing. Your post inspired me to check again and found 3 nights 6/21-6/24 at 35k a night. I booked two rooms. Doesn't seem to be more on that date.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by midnightblade
Yea I definitely had a hard time hitting the button but I figure I can continue to mull on it for a while and it won't cost me anything to cancel in a few months if I change my mind or maybe as we get closer I'll be able to book a standard room which would be more ideal for me. I can easily justify the 70k for 2 nights over the 140k now.
So I saw someone mention that for standard rooms there's a 3 night minimum. I went back and extended my dates from 2 nights to 3 nights and am able to book a standard room for 35k points a night.

Question to the knowledgeable folks on this forum. If I book 3 nights but only stay 2 there's no charge for that correct? And secondly, is it worth downgrading to the standard room from the big sur outdoor shower suite to save 35,000 points? 3 nights @ 35k each vs 2 nights @ 70k each.

Edit: Nevermind, guess it's no longer available. I suppose that helps make my decision easier.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by midnightblade
So I saw someone mention that for standard rooms there's a 3 night minimum. I went back and extended my dates from 2 nights to 3 nights and am able to book a standard room for 35k points a night.

Question to the knowledgeable folks on this forum. If I book 3 nights but only stay 2 there's no charge for that correct? And secondly, is it worth downgrading to the standard room from the big sur outdoor shower suite to save 35,000 points? 3 nights @ 35k each vs 2 nights @ 70k each.

Edit: Nevermind, guess it's no longer available. I suppose that helps make my decision easier.
If you book three nights and just leave after the 2nd night (without checking out) then there's no issue. If you don't turn up on the first night... then technically there may be an issue since the property could, in theory, charge you the cash rate for the night. In reality they would probably not do this if you turn up the next day and give them a heads up on check in date that you've had an unexpected travel delay.

Personally I would have done the 3 nights at 35k rather than 2 nights at 75k. 75k a night is a lot for any property... and the shower suites aren't worth a >2x premium over the standard room rate.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 4:33 am

Interested in this question, too, if anyone has any experience!

edit: sorry, this was in reference to the foraging hike question above.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I see your point but unfortunately there's significantly more demand than supply. They only have so many rooms available for redemption and points have been amassed by the millions through out the pandemic. Not to mention you can just transfer from Chase which has made it incredibly easy to earn URs. You wouldn't pay 2k/night but plenty of people from Silicon Valley and Hollywood would. This property is routinely sold out for weddings and corporate retreats despite its price tag.
We have been fortunate to stay in 20-30 top resorts over the last couple of years (Blackberry Farm, Amanera, Amanzoe, Montage PB, Auberge, and several wilderness lodges and ranches…). Many, if not most, of these were around $2k+/night. We thought they were all worth it.

Having stayed at Ventana 3 times now on points, I don’t think it’s in the same league as many of the top resorts in the US. Personally, I’d be fine paying $1-1.5k/night for Ventana, but certainly not more than $2k. The rooms aren’t that special and the service / interactions with the front desk have generally felt more 4-4.5 stars. My sense is that the rates for base rooms at Ventana are a little inflated to compensate for those using points. I’ve noticed the same thing (unusually high rates for base rooms with suites barely more expensive) at other popular points hotels such as the St Regis Deer Valley. I assume it’s a way for properties to maximize the payout they get for redemptions from corporate.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
We have been fortunate to stay in 20-30 top resorts over the last couple of years (Blackberry Farm, Amanera, Amanzoe, Montage PB, Auberge, and several wilderness lodges and ranches…). Many, if not most, of these were around $2k+/night. We thought they were all worth it.

Having stayed at Ventana 3 times now on points, I don’t think it’s in the same league as many of the top resorts in the US. Personally, I’d be fine paying $1-1.5k/night for Ventana, but certainly not more than $2k. The rooms aren’t that special and the service / interactions with the front desk have generally felt more 4-4.5 stars. My sense is that the rates for base rooms at Ventana are a little inflated to compensate for those using points. I’ve noticed the same thing (unusually high rates for base rooms with suites barely more expensive) at other popular points hotels such as the St Regis Deer Valley. I assume it’s a way for properties to maximize the payout they get for redemptions from corporate.
It matters none if you think it's worth the price tag or not. What matters is tech bros and hollywood celebs are willing to shell out the dough for it. Sure they can go to post ranch inn but ventana is a close second choice.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
It matters none if you think it's worth the price tag or not. What matters is tech bros and hollywood celebs are willing to shell out the dough for it. Sure they can go to post ranch inn but ventana is a close second choice.
That’s not my point.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:29 am

For anybody that may be interested, there is a free night award available for tomorrow night.

I’m having the hardest time finding anything other than 70k suites well out into the year.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: American Airlines Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just keep looking

Brand new to FT...I've been following for years but never signed up.

About 2 weeks ago I found 3 nights (Sept 5-8, 2022) at Ventana using 30-35k points/per night. Since then I've been trying every day to find 3 more nights. This morning I found Sept 2-5 for 35k per night and booked in an ADA room. Keep checking! As others have noted, though, nothing in March of next year. I was hoping to book before the March 22 devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.