Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: khabah
Open hotels
  • Caption by Hyatt Beale Street Memphis / Memphis, TN, USA / July 2022 / hotel website
Pipeline hotels
  • Caption by Hyatt Shanghai Zhongshan Park / Shanghai, China / 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Osaka Namba / Osaka, Japan / H1 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Chattanooga Southside / Chattanooga, TN, USA / 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Nashville / Nashville, TN, USA / 2024 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Sydney / Sydney, Australia / 2025 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Tokyo Kabutocho / Tokyo, Japan / 2025 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Ba Son Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam / 2025 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Roseville / Roseville, CA, USA / 2026 / source
  • Caption by Hyatt Sacramento / Sacramento, CA, USA / 2026 / source
Rumored hotels
Print Wikipost

New Brand: Caption by Hyatt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Caption has been added to the brand collection at the bottom of Hyatt's main page under the Boundless Portfolio, and a website has finally been launched at this link. Strangely, Hyatt has elected to use the same images as when they launched the brand in September 2019 rather than freshen it up with new ones, and they're all grainy and low-resolution.

Not a lot of info either, but locations mentioned are Shanghai and Memphis. The Shanghai location will be a reflag of the Pentahotel by Zhongshan Park and was supposed to open at the end of this year, while the Memphis one will be built next door to the Hyatt Centric and is planned for a March 2022 opening. The site doesn't mention the switchover of tommie Hollywood to the Caption brand, but that one is due to open in March 2021.

khabah
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
A search of Los Angeles brings up the Caption hotel on Hyatt's booking website.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
A search of Los Angeles brings up the Caption hotel on Hyatt's booking website.
The only new Hyatt hotel in Los Angeles will be Thompson. The first Caption by Hyatt barely started being built this month and is in Memphis, TN. I’ve searched all over Hyatt and can’t find anything relating to a Los Angeles property as we stay in LA/OC frequently.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
The only new Hyatt hotel in Los Angeles will be Thompson. The first Caption by Hyatt barely started being built this month and is in Memphis, TN. I’ve searched all over Hyatt and can’t find anything relating to a Los Angeles property as we stay in LA/OC frequently.
Caption Hollywood is the project up-to-recently known as tommie Hollywood on Selma Ave, close to Thompson Hollywood. Actually, there would be a cluster of 3 Hyatt properties close to each other:
  • UBC at 1525 N. Cahuenga Blvd,
  • behind that is Thompson at 1523 Wilcox Avenue
  • and around the corner is Caption at 6516 Selma Avenue.

Hyatt's pipeline in LA is also quite lively. Out side of those 3 properties, there're also:
  • The Park Hyatt
  • 2 Centric hotels (1 in Korea Town, 1 on Broadway)
  • The Shay (Destination) at Ivy Station in Culver City
  • Combo Hyatt Place + Hyatt House on Century Blvd. (next door to the Crowne Plaza, soon-to-be Sonesta)
  • and a Hyatt House at USC Medical Center that will open on Dec 17
happychic likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:07 am

PHLA probably will never open
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
PHLA probably will never open
I don't disagree with that, but Hyatt does have a fairly extensive pipeline in the works in the LA area. And the Caption By Hyatt West Hollywood is now up on Hyatt.com which is a good thing, plus of course the Thompson. And it's my understanding that one of the two Centrics and the Unbound are both under construction, so we'll likely soon have several additional options in the LA area which has long been lacking.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by khabah
While Hyatt has been silent as to how Caption is/isn't ramping up, I found this [translated] TTG China article from July 10th with a little more light on Caption's plans:

As for the Caption by Hyatt brand created last year, we are currently negotiating a new hotel. We hope that this year's first store will be located in big cities, especially Shanghai. The brand will first take Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and other central cities as its "base", and then look for opportunities to expand to other regions. By creating comfortable and flexible public spaces, the hotel meets guests' all-round needs for work, dining and social interaction, and stimulates more meaningful dialogues and connections. Although the rooms are relatively small, simple and not luxurious, they can also meet the needs of guests as much as possible.
Interesting to look at this in hindsight - did this end up basically converting into UrCove?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Interesting to look at this in hindsight - did this end up basically converting into UrCove?
Caption and UrCove are in different swim lanes - Caption is lifestyle select-service upscale while UrCove is classic select-service and pitched more as a midscale brand. The first Chinese Caption is coming to Shanghai as a renovation and conversion of the Pentahotel next to Zhongshan Park.

@bcosinteno mentioned that Hyatt executives were considering merging tommie, what was to be Thompson’s more affordable, microhotel little brother, with Caption since they were both essentially going to serve the same purpose. With the switchover of tommie Hollywood at 6516-6526 Selma Avenue to Caption by Hyatt Hollywood, he said it seemed that they decided to move on that plan. The only other planned tommie, in a mixed use development at 5th and Brazos in Austin in a tower shared with a Thompson hotel and residences, is almost complete but still listed as a tommie on Hyatt’s pipeline site, so I wonder...

khabah
Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Caption and UrCove are in different swim lanes - Caption is lifestyle select-service upscale while UrCove is classic select-service and pitched more as a midscale brand. The first Chinese Caption is coming to Shanghai as a renovation and conversion of the Pentahotel next to Zhongshan Park.
Right - not so much suggesting Caption replaces UrCove as a concept, clearly both have different targets and serve different needs - more that did the focus shift to launching UrCove in those same 4-5 markets originally mentioned for Caption in China.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:32 pm

This looks to me like a Tru (Hilton) but with less condecending interior design and slightly better in-room seating.

A super-narrow room without a desk and with nothing except a wall-mounted tv on the wall opposite the bed.

Centric is quite different from this. At least the ones I've stayed in have a long built-in (but reasonably sized) combination desk/tv stand/fridge/dresser/counter combo on the wall across from the bed, along with a normal ergonomic desk chair and normal soft seating. One can easily set oneself up to work on a laptap in a Centric room. In Tru it's impossible to comfortably do anything in the room aside from sleep, sit on the bed, or do bathroom stuff.

Also, Centric's have a real restaurant and nomal bell/front desk.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by LawFly
This looks to me like a Tru (Hilton) but with less condecending interior design and slightly better in-room seating.

A super-narrow room without a desk and with nothing except a wall-mounted tv on the wall opposite the bed.

Centric is quite different from this. At least the ones I've stayed in have a long built-in (but reasonably sized) combination desk/tv stand/fridge/dresser/counter combo on the wall across from the bed, along with a normal ergonomic desk chair and normal soft seating. One can easily set oneself up to work on a laptap in a Centric room. In Tru it's impossible to comfortably do anything in the room aside from sleep, sit on the bed, or do bathroom stuff.

Also, Centric's have a real restaurant and nomal bell/front desk.
Caption is to Hyatt as Moxy is to Marriott and Motto to Hilton: upper-midscale, limited service lifestyle properties with small rooms with bright designs, open public spaces that flow into each other where locals and guests can just hang out and curated restaurants that emphasize coffee, drinks and grab-and-go.

Hyatt Centric, on the other hand, is a full-service upper-upscale lifestyle brand in the same space as Le Méridien, Canopy by Hilton and Kimpton, so you can expect rooms of a reasonable size with more conventional furnishings like a real closet and desk, a full restaurant and services available around the clock.

khabah
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Caption is to Hyatt as Moxy is to Marriott and Motto to Hilton: upper-midscale, limited service lifestyle properties with small rooms with bright designs, open public spaces that flow into each other where locals and guests can just hang out and curated restaurants that emphasize coffee, drinks and grab-and-go.
Looking forward to Caption as a much more contemporary alternative to a HP (much like the few times I stayed at an AC, was a nice respite from terrible Courtyards).
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Looking forward to Caption as a much more contemporary alternative to a HP (much like the few times I stayed at an AC, was a nice respite from terrible Courtyards).
Agreed - HPs are a bit too milquetoast for my liking and as much as I enjoy the “come here to hang out” vibe of Moxy, I find them incredibly annoying and trying too hard with their bar/check-in hybrid setup, hashtags emblazoned everywhere and seeing partially naked tattooed men all over the walls and printed goods. I love bold design, color and pattern but there’s definitely a line, so I hope that Caption is able to demonstrate a tasteful combination of style and substance.

khabah
platbrownguy and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Agreed - HPs are a bit too milquetoast for my liking and as much as I enjoy the “come here to hang out” vibe of Moxy, I find them incredibly annoying and trying too hard with their bar/check-in hybrid setup, hashtags emblazoned everywhere and seeing partially naked tattooed men all over the walls and printed goods. I love bold design, color and pattern but there’s definitely a line, so I hope that Caption is able to demonstrate a tasteful combination of style and substance.

khabah
I have only stayed at one Moxy (Frankfurt) what location has half naked men?

Last edited by TravisMT81; Feb 25, 2021 at 7:06 am
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
I have only stayed at one Moxy (Frankfurt) what location has half naked men?
I believe I saw some printed material with that at Moxy London Heathrow Airport. Moxy has now moved to what they call 'Design 1.5' where they've evolved their style a bit, so I wonder if these will go by the wayside... but for now I'll attach some samples pulled from the web below.

khabah

Carolina2Cali likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.