New Brand: Caption by Hyatt

Old Sep 24, 19, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP
New Brand: Caption by Hyatt

Hyatt announces a new lifestyle select service brand called Caption.

- Alluring and approachable spaces
- Conversation worthy food and beverage
- Experiences that donít begin or end at the hotelís front door

Hyatt Introduces Caption By Hyatt, A New Brand Designed to Inspire Personal Connection
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Looks similar to Hilton's Canopy brand?
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:18 pm

Seriously what is the deal with all the damn brands? I hate that hotels continue to feel like they need 15 brands. I only need low end like HP, full service like HR, higher end full service like GH and high luxury like PH. THAT'S IT. I hate this idiocy of 2 dozen brands with 3 properties each.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Probaly could have just folded this into Centric or Andaz.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
Seriously what is the deal with all the damn brands? I hate that hotels continue to feel like they need 15 brands. I only need low end like HP, full service like HR, higher end full service like GH and high luxury like PH. THAT'S IT. I hate this idiocy of 2 dozen brands with 3 properties each.
Agreed.. but it's not really for your benefit. It's so they can get more hotel projects. My partner used to only build and operate Hilton Garden Inn and similar type hotels, but now Marriott has given incentives to do other brands like Moxy and other brands. You can only have so many HGI's in the same city, but if you call them different names, you're technically "not competing" with other Marriott owners. It's complete BS, because you are still, but they don't care cause that burden is on the hotel operator.
TravelerMSY likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just waiting for some chain to open ďCardboard BoxĒ for the Millennials who donít want to put on airs.
Old Sep 25, 19, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
You can hate it if you like.

I rather enjoy the free nights I get for each 5 brands I try. Other than one night to trigger the brand, I don't have to ever return to a hotel I don't like... (which FWIW includes just as many HR, HP, etc. as any other brand)
ijkh and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton
This reads more to me like a competitor to Marriott's Moxy: integrated public-dining-entertainment areas designed for locals and guests to hang out in, rooms with small footprints offering 'funky' artwork and modular furniture, and an emphasis on food and beverage.

More brands means more options for developers, and more things for Hyatt to sell. It's all about the $$$$$.

khabah
Old Sep 25, 19, 4:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
So are we still getting tommie as a brand as well? They still seem to mention that brand on their list of Hyatt brands, even though there are 0 active hotels with that brand.

As for Caption, it kinda make sense that they would have some kind of lifestyle limited service brand. Looking at the news/development Hyatt pages, this is literally a Moxy competitor.

Video: https://www.hyatt.com/development/ou...captionbyhyatt
Concept Images:

Old Sep 25, 19, 6:39 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Hyatt's (and all hotel chains) customers are hotel owners on whose behalf they brand and management properties. The creation of endless new brands is aimed at them

World of Hyatt guests are part of the 'product' that Hyatt is selling to its hotel owner customer base
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
When I was reading this I thought Moxy, aloft and Tru competition. Small or "cozy" rooms and common spaces seem to be a theme at those properties. IMHO you have to have decent common spaces because no one wants to spend more time than needed in a Moxy 10x10 box. Since they use "cozy rooms" in their press release, I would think the photos cvseuy found of the room concepts are a tad bit misleading since they actually look pretty spacious.

Not sure why they would need to create a new brand because as mentioned before...why not just use Tommie since there are no properties yet.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 7:24 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by khabah View Post
This reads more to me like a competitor to Marriott's Moxy: integrated public-dining-entertainment areas designed for locals and guests to hang out in, rooms with small footprints offering 'funky' artwork and modular furniture, and an emphasis on food and beverage.

More brands means more options for developers, and more things for Hyatt to sell. It's all about the $$$$$.

khabah
This was my impression as well as I read the press release. However, I would say, an upscale version of Moxy as the mention the high quality food etc. And no real desk in the room.
Old Sep 25, 19, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by FLYGVA View Post
This was my impression as well as I read the press release. However, I would say, an upscale version of Moxy as the mention the high quality food etc. And no real desk in the room.
Millennials don't need desks because they are all on their mobile devices. Most rooms aren't big enough to put a desk in them anyway.
Old Sep 25, 19, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I get the idea of new brands for developers and such (Millennial doublespeak garbage side).

However - having stayed in a couple Centrics so far - how is this any different at all?
Old Sep 25, 19, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
However - having stayed in a couple Centrics so far - how is this any different at all?
Probably lower quality furnishings, limited service and a lower price point.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: