Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Favorite international Hyatts with low cash rates & good benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite international Hyatts with low cash rates & good benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mster
I've considered longer stays at the HP / HH properties in Shanghai since they look really nice. The dangers of staying in new construction in China (dramatically more lax standards for chemical emissions) make it hard to justify staying any longer than absolutely necessary though.
Apologies for inquiring about your tangential comment, but I'm curious about this because I spend a lot of nights in newly constructed hotels in China, and I haven't heard about this issue yet. Can you elaborate?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Apologies for inquiring about your tangential comment, but I'm curious about this because I spend a lot of nights in newly constructed hotels in China, and I haven't heard about this issue yet. Can you elaborate?
VOC and formaldehyde emission limits are very lax in China so the flooring, paint, carpeting etc. that is most often used would be illegal to sell in the EU or US.

What the government in China believes to be "safe" for construction materials, air quality, water quality, food purity etc. is... not safe if you value your health. Additional concerns with corruption and lax enforcement further complicate the overall picture. In general these concerns extend to all other developing countries as well - particularly in South & Southeast Asia.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mster
VOC and formaldehyde emission limits are very lax in China so the flooring, paint, carpeting etc. that is most often used would be illegal to sell in the EU or US.

What the government in China believes to be "safe" for construction materials, air quality, water quality, food purity etc. is... not safe if you value your health. Additional concerns with corruption and lax enforcement further complicate the overall picture. In general these concerns extend to all other developing countries as well - particularly in South & Southeast Asia.
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
For some added color, see Lumber Liquidators (LL). If you pull up some reports (if I recall, 60 minutes did something on this), there's lots of possibly relevant data for you to access the potential risks with extended exposure.
mster and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.