Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel Kabuki San Francisco (JdV) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Kabuki San Francisco (JdV) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
No a la carte period or just not giving it to Globalists? If it's the former then I suspect they will change on that one.
When I asked I was told it's not offered whatsoever
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I didn't see a spot for a la carte breakfast. The breakfast is in the downstairs area and it's not great. Plenty of spots nearby though.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
I didn't see a spot for a la carte breakfast. The breakfast is in the downstairs area and it's not great. Plenty of spots nearby though.
Not great is an understatement, even Hyatt House offers a wider selection. I don't see how they can justify charging $28pp for it.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invalyd
Not great is an understatement, even Hyatt House offers a wider selection. I don't see how they can justify charging $28pp for it.
Yep that's the only downside to this hotel, otherwise for me it's amazing
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Recent say

I just wrapped up a 3 night stay at Hotel Kabuki. Overall a great option for staying in the city. Super clean part of downtown SF (Japan town) with a number of great areas a short walk from the hotel. As others have mentioned, the gym is top notch -- everything you could ask for and more. The breakfast onsite is super limited and wasn't anything special. However, Kabuki is opening a full service onsite restaurant soon that looks like it is going to be a winner.

The bar is pretty active at night and serves some good small bites and saki. You can order enough plates to have a decent meal.

Room is also good size -- shower in particular is huge. Nice balcony with city or water views.

I'll definitely stay here again next time I'm working in SF.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Great neighborhood. Plenty of good places to eat/shop on Fillmore St, all a short walk away.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:05 am

Didn’t love it

It’s definitely unique but I prefer the more traditional Hyatt full service properties. We were booked for four nights but moved to the Grand Hyatt SF after two (which we liked much better).

We got upgraded to a suite but the room reminded me of a 60s era college dorm in some ways. Old building with loud and clanky AC in each room. Small windows. Exposed pipes, and lots of stains on the newish carpet (light colored), too. Huge TV but in our room the streaming features didn’t work.

No welcome amenity (well to be fair there was a hand written note but nothing else waiting in the room) nor was there any pre-arrival reach out as is now common at most full service Hyatt’s that I visit.

Breakfast was sub par - like a limited club lounge offering (minus the all day perks you get from a club).

I disagree with others on the quality of the location. It’s great if you want to be in Japantown but it’s NOT very convenient to the Muni Metro which we like to use when in SF.

The positives are well documented: nice staff, unusual decor, nice gym (although I don’t think it’s any nicer than a Regency or higher gym unless you want to box or take a yoga class). It definitely has character but we were much happier at the (also very well run) Grand Hyatt.
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The $31/night greed fee makes this one a no-go.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The $31/night greed fee makes this one a no-go.
No doubt, it is much better to pay $25 at Grand Hyatt or $30 at Hyatt Regency.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by invalyd
No doubt, it is much better to pay $25 at Grand Hyatt or $30 at Hyatt Regency.
It is much better to go to a hotel that doesn't try to fool potential customers by charging any such fees.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:35 pm

It is much better to go to a hotel that doesn't try to fool potential customers by charging any such fees.
Sounds like Wyndham is the program for you, sir, since all the 4 star and up chains charge the same fees at domestic properties. Of course you can go luxury but you won’t save any money at the Four Seasons....

Personally I’d rather pay the stupid fee than set foot in a Super 8....
invalyd likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:40 pm

Sounds like Wyndham is the program for you, sir, since all the 4 star and up chains charge the same fees at domestic properties.
Sorry, but you either have an incredible bias or have never booked outside the Hyatt family. As an example, Marriott has quite a few properties in SF that fit your requirement (anywhere from 8 to 13 depending on your personal definition of "4 star"), and exactly one charges a greed fee.

Fortunately, Hyatt properties in the Boston area don't play this game (yet).

But if Wyndham is truly as transparent and honest as you say, perhaps I should check it out.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 24, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:04 am

Sorry, but you either have an incredible bias or have never booked outside the Hyatt family. As an example, Marriott has quite a few properties in SF that fit your requirement (anywhere from 8 to 13 depending on your personal definition of "4 star"), and exactly one charges a greed fee.

Fortunately, Hyatt properties in the Boston area don't play this game (yet).

But if Wyndham is truly as transparent and honest as you say, perhaps I should check it out.
The fees are coming to all of them in SF.... watch and see. Boston won’t be far behind. The only way that changes would be through government intervention - which probably will happen someday....

Your obviously not a Globalist (and I encourage you to stay away.... the last thing we need is too many Globalists) BUT if Hyatt treated you as good as they treat me, I promise you wouldn’t stay anywhere else, either. 😉

Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The fees are coming to all of them in SF.... watch and see. Boston won’t be far behind. The only way that changes would be through government intervention - which probably will happen someday....

Your obviously not a Globalist (and I encourage you to stay away.... the last thing we need is too many Globalists) BUT if Hyatt treated you as good as they treat me, I promise you wouldn’t stay anywhere else, either. 😉

I wouldn't be surprised to see these fees in every major US city. They can charge them and still get full occupancy.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I wouldn't be surprised to see these fees in every major US city. They can charge them and still get full occupancy.
Exactly. The ship has sailed. BUT I predict a state like California or Massachusetts will make them illegal and that will start the process of unwinding them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.