Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Thank You For Postiing the Link to the Butler Menu

We have a stay booked for Gild Hall soon; somewhat in hopes it would remind us of the long-lost Stanhope we so loved.

My spouse is gluten-sensitive and egg and lactose intolerant. From the looks of the menu this might not be the place for her.

Does anyone have a Hyatt, or even Marriott, suggestion in New York that would be better able to feed her? Now that I made my way back to Globalist with Hyatt and Platinum with Marriott, I want her to get the darn free breakfast.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
There's 50,000 places to get breakfast in Manhattan.

None that are any good for a gluten, egg, and lactose intolerant person are going to be provided free by a hotel.
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Fair enough. Do you remember what you ordered?

Looking through the list of properties using this service across , I think I’ll be having lots of Butler breakfasts over the course of the year.
The food is perfectly fine. It's certainly better than a fast food breakfast, IMO. The avocado toast was liked by the two girls in my group and I thought the egg and cheese on bagel was good as was the breakfast egg platter (bacon and something else that I can't recall).
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I see upthread the desk in the King Suite is narrow. Is it also poor for natural light?

I'm thinking of mixing business and pleasure, working a half day and leisure after lunch. I'm looking for a suite and the King Suite is certainly affordable.

The Gild Hall suite seems spacious and a deal at around $228 for when I want to go.

50 Bowery seems like a fun location (I know the city well, and wind up spending time around here once or twice per trip. However, the tariff is $355 for the Manhattan Suite with Terrace. Anyone stay in both and can opine on the hard product comparison? Of course a terrace and location may be worth the extra $120, but I could rent two rooms at the midtown south Hyatt Place for $123 or so each, one for work and one for fun/sleep.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
This place is a Thompson??

I just stayed here earlier this week as my last two days as a NYC resident, just prior to a cross-country move. We needed extra space since we were taking large suitcases, a large pet carrier, etc. We booked the King Suite in advance using a standard daily room rate (just over $100) and points upgrade. I’m kind of surprised how positive the feedback has been on this hotel, but I guess it comes down to expectations. The suite was spacious and suited our needs, but I’ve stayed at many of the Thompson hotels and love their style and service - this hotel in no way belongs in the category of the others. They slapped some paint and artwork on the walls to make a feeble attempt to bring this up to brand standards, but otherwise this is a dilapidated hotel that really belongs more in the “Centric” category. If you set expectations accordingly, I guess it’s “fine”.

Issues we had:
-We had a lot of luggage at check in. The staff could not find a crate and while they were trying to locate something, the restaurant host came out to the street within 5 minutes complaining that we had to move because we were in her space. Note that we were not blocking anything, even the sidewalk, and it is the hotel restaurant. We moved everything into the lobby piece by piece to appease her.
-We checked in at 4p (well after check-in time) and the room was not ready. The worst part is that they couldn’t give us any estimate as to when it would be ready and claimed it shouldn’t be too long and we should just wait in the tiny lobby. After 30 minutes, we asked again and said we could leave and come back if they wanted to call us, but they said it was almost ready. One hour after we arrived, the room was ready. They apologized for the wait, but no compensation offered, the only thing they offered while we were waiting was bottled water.
-As others have mentioned, AC is loud and not very effective.
-Looks and feels like an old hotel with minor cosmetic changes to make it feel Thompson - it doesn’t.
-Needed to pack up a few boxes to ship, they have no packing tape anywhere in the hotel (??).
-At check out, I saw that they had added $40 per night as a “Suite Upgrade Upcharge”. They had asked at check-in whether I was paying with points, I explained it was a paid stay with a points upgrade, but seems like they hadn’t understood that. They did take it off.

Can’t comment on Globalist benefits as this stay actually will put me over the line from Explorist to Globalist. As an Explorist, they did offer 2p check-out at check-in, which we used. And the restaurant (yes we went there despite the rude host) was quite good. We did the set lunch, which was a decent price and quality was great.

I honestly can’t complain too much about a $100/night hotel in Manhattan. At the end of the day, it was a cheap stay for a large room that met our needs. But when rates go back to normal, they really need to up their game and I can’t see any justification for this being under the Thompson umbrella, unless they really start to cheapen what I think is an excellent brand.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by daslax
I just stayed here earlier this week as my last two days as a NYC resident, just prior to a cross-country move. We needed extra space since we were taking large suitcases, a large pet carrier, etc. We booked the King Suite in advance using a standard daily room rate (just over $100) and points upgrade. I’m kind of surprised how positive the feedback has been on this hotel, but I guess it comes down to expectations. The suite was spacious and suited our needs, but I’ve stayed at many of the Thompson hotels and love their style and service - this hotel in no way belongs in the category of the others. They slapped some paint and artwork on the walls to make a feeble attempt to bring this up to brand standards, but otherwise this is a dilapidated hotel that really belongs more in the “Centric” category. If you set expectations accordingly, I guess it’s “fine”.

Issues we had:
-We had a lot of luggage at check in. The staff could not find a crate and while they were trying to locate something, the restaurant host came out to the street within 5 minutes complaining that we had to move because we were in her space. Note that we were not blocking anything, even the sidewalk, and it is the hotel restaurant. We moved everything into the lobby piece by piece to appease her.
-We checked in at 4p (well after check-in time) and the room was not ready. The worst part is that they couldn’t give us any estimate as to when it would be ready and claimed it shouldn’t be too long and we should just wait in the tiny lobby. After 30 minutes, we asked again and said we could leave and come back if they wanted to call us, but they said it was almost ready. One hour after we arrived, the room was ready. They apologized for the wait, but no compensation offered, the only thing they offered while we were waiting was bottled water.
-As others have mentioned, AC is loud and not very effective.
-Looks and feels like an old hotel with minor cosmetic changes to make it feel Thompson - it doesn’t.
-Needed to pack up a few boxes to ship, they have no packing tape anywhere in the hotel (??).
-At check out, I saw that they had added $40 per night as a “Suite Upgrade Upcharge”. They had asked at check-in whether I was paying with points, I explained it was a paid stay with a points upgrade, but seems like they hadn’t understood that. They did take it off.

Can’t comment on Globalist benefits as this stay actually will put me over the line from Explorist to Globalist. As an Explorist, they did offer 2p check-out at check-in, which we used. And the restaurant (yes we went there despite the rude host) was quite good. We did the set lunch, which was a decent price and quality was great.

I honestly can’t complain too much about a $100/night hotel in Manhattan. At the end of the day, it was a cheap stay for a large room that met our needs. But when rates go back to normal, they really need to up their game and I can’t see any justification for this being under the Thompson umbrella, unless they really start to cheapen what I think is an excellent brand.
You should have prefaced it with your last paragraph. It's a 100 dollar room in NYC.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by haeil
You should have prefaced it with your last paragraph. It's a 100 dollar room in NYC.
And I'm not sure I'd expect a Hyatt Place in Manhattan to have a bunch of packing materials (crates?), either.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by haeil
Originally Posted by Kacee
And I'm not sure I'd expect a Hyatt Place in Manhattan to have a bunch of packing materials (crates?), either.
I’m not sure I get the point of these comments. I mentioned the room rate at both the top and the bottom of the post and my main point was that I was not dissatisfied given what I paid, but this place shouldn’t be branded a Thompson hotel. If I pay $100 for a Hyatt Place, I expect a Hyatt Place level of service and this hotel would have lived up to those standards (except for the 1 hour wait for a room with no communication). Even if the rate is the same, if I’m staying at a Thompson I expect them to live up to the standards of the brand.

And sorry, shouldn’t have used “crate” - all we were looking for was a luggage CART and later just some packing tape for a box we needed to ship.
futuramadramallama and gbdbld like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC 50K | WS Gold | Bonvoy Titanium | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here a few days ago (early June) for two nights to burn some FNCs (cash rate was $200+ because of memorial day long weekend). Check in lady was very nice and helped me upgrade to a larger room (no suites) as a globalist and confirmed my late check out at 4pm. Got my two bottles of water delivered to me at the door and it was fiji water and not just poland spring, which was a surprise.

I loved the mattress because it was firm. It was really firm. I had some really good sleep on it. DS & Durga bath amenities.

Breakfast was delivered by a third party company called Butler. Mainly standard fare (scrambled eggs, omelette, oatmeal, etc) but they had lox bagel which was quite nice. Generous spread of lox. You order it through a site and they'll deliver it to your room. The first day it was delivered within 15 minutes, but the second day it took almost an hour. So YMMV on that.

If the cash rate is $100, then it's definitely worth it. Even with a 15k FNC, I thought it was not bad, given that the other choice I would've had was the HP / HH.

CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by thereisnoaddress

I assume it's been pointed out that this carpet is identical to that of the Overlook Hotel. Have to figure it's intentional.
khabah likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Parking on Free Night stay (Globalist)

Does their billing relationship with the parking garage they use allow us (Globalists for sure, maybe others during promotions and Guest of Honor) get free parking on Free Night stays (or equivalent)?

Or is this one of those places where, after you get bit, you learn, "
? Er, parking garage.

TIA.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Jun 20, 2021 at 10:33 am Reason: visualization
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
They use the parking garage right across the main entrance when I last stayed. I was not billed as I used points.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I was billed. Perhaps I should have followed up. Concierge was useless.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Gild Hall Thompson NYC = Dark Room, Not Very Clean, Soundproofing Terrible

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

15 Gold St New York, NY 10038

Gild Hall Thompson NYC = Dark Room, Not Very Clean, Soundproofing Terrible (12 Photos)

I have lots of Hyatt cat 1-4 free night certs to burn and I had never stayed at a Thompson brand hotel before, so I thought trying Gild Hall would kill two birds with one stone because it’s one of the few Hyatt properties in NYC which is cat 4 and I would tick off that brand to make progress to earn another cat 1-4 free night.  I was under the impression that Thompson was somewhat of a premium brand but after my stay I am not sure Gild Hall was very different from a DoubleTree or a Four Points.

Check In

I booked two separate reservations and for some reason I did not realize I selected two different room types for each night: one with two beds and one with a king.  Not only did I not get any upgrade on the first night, but also they told me I would have to change rooms for the second night, more on that below.  

Room

The color tone of the room was dark and because the building in front was very close there was almost no natural light coming into the room, not to mention that if the blinds were not closed there was limited privacy from the room because there were no sheer curtains.  The room also had carpet, the bathroom had the dreaded shower in the bathtub, the toilet was leaking and the tub was not the cleanest with some signs of mold.  The air conditioning was not central and instead was an old-style unit on the wall, but thankfully it was strong and the room was cool.  There were no convenient power plugs near the bed and soundproofing was absolutely terrible, I could frequently hear noise either from the street or from the hallway, even modest noises.  Near the free Fiji water provided as a welcome gift, there was some kind of bowl with crumbs in it.  I thought perhaps they normally give cookies or a snack and forgot to refill and clean, but I was told this was just meant to be for ice.

On the positive side, the bed and bed sheets were very comfortable and probably the strongest aspect of this hotel.  There was good water pressure in the shower and bathroom toiletries were nice, a sub-brand of La Bottega.

My second room looked almost the same as the first except for having only one bed, and I did not observe the same problems in the bathroom thankfully.

IMG_7071.jpegIMG_7072.jpegIMG_7073.jpeg1_IMG_7074.jpeg1_IMG_7075.jpegIMG_7076.jpegIMG_7081.jpegIMG_7082.jpegIMG_7083.jpegIMG_7084.jpegIMG_7089.jpeg

Service

Service was hit and miss.  Before arrival I informed them that I was going to NYC specifically for covid vaccine and I needed some help and information but their response was the bare minimum and only halfway helpful, when I asked for clarification they did not bother to answer which is questionable for a hotel which wants to be an upscale brand.  Once at the hotel, I suspect it would not have been very hard to plan the room assignments to ensure a Globalist member does not need to change rooms in the middle of a 2-night stay simply because two free night reservations have different bed types.  I did not care because I thought I would get a clean room for the second night so I did not protest, but some other guests might not appreciate being requested to move.  It’s not the first time that I book separate reservations with different room types and I am rarely asked to change.  Hotel staff also knocked on my door for mini-bar service when I had the do not disturb sign on, and charged me for consumptions I did not take.  Service was not universally weak, at reception on day 2 it was better than the day I arrived; also the hotel has a doorman which gave a bit of luxury flavor to the hotel relative to select service hotels.

There are no amenities available in the room, they sold toothbrushes for $5 which raised eyebrows, and there was no bathrobe or slippers; since they advertise on their website having Frette bathrobes, I am assuming they have been temporarily discontinued due to covid although I am not sure there is a strong link with virus transmission via bathrobes.

Dining

For breakfast they use an external vendor (butlermenu.com); guests can order the Globalist breakfast with a QR code but the menu was slim pickings and limited to one beverage and one breakfast item.  Globalist solo travelers may want to consider booking their reservation as two adults to get two vouchers otherwise they will still be hungry.  It’s not directly the hotel’s fault other than choosing to do business with this vendor, but on the first day they did not have my choice of drink, and on the second day they were 1.5 hours late relative to my chosen delivery time.  For people paying for that breakfast, a modest avocado toast and drip coffee for $20 not counting tip and/or delivery and not arriving on time - not exactly a screaming deal.  Food was good though.

IMG_7085.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi was ok but below average speeds of 5-10 Mbps.

Overall

I guess the fact that Gild Hall is cat 4 whereas most other Hyatt hotels in NYC are cat 5-7 it should be a sign; you get what you pay for.  It’s a decent use of free night certs but there is no way I would pay cash for this hotel (over 250 USD for my dates) with low chances of suite upgrade, a dark room not all of them being clean, uneven service and an unimpressive breakfast benefit.  

Gild Hall Thompson NYC = Dark Room, Not Very Clean, Soundproofing Terrible

Would you like to write a review on the Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
IFor breakfast they use an external vendor (butlermenu.com); guests can order the Globalist breakfast with a QR code but the menu was slim pickings and limited to one beverage and one breakfast item. Globalist solo travelers may want to consider booking their reservation as two adults to get two vouchers otherwise they will still be hungry. It’s not directly the hotel’s fault other than choosing to do business with this vendor, but on the first day they did not have my choice of drink, and on the second day they were 1.5 hours late relative to my chosen delivery time. For people paying for that breakfast, a modest avocado toast and drip coffee for $20 not counting tip and/or delivery and not arriving on time - not exactly a screaming deal. Food was good though.
When ordering via Butler as a Globalist, does delivery charge (if any) and tip get included or you're expected to cover that? I understand the program terms say that tip is included in Globalist breakfasts but not all properties handle that correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.