Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 5:48 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

Now that this hotel is a full-fledged Hyatt, it deserves its own thread.

I just reserved Monday night on points here. Will report back.

For the night before, I could either stay here on a cheap cash rate, or save another 30 at the nearby Andaz (involves moving, so I put about $20 of value in avoiding the move). I've stayed at the Andaz Wall St and it was not particularly memorable. Debating whether to split the stay or just stay two nights here.

Also tempted to drop the 20k points on the new HGU property.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
This is the only 15000 point award night in the Manhattan
Old May 12, 2019, 1:12 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
I just reserved Monday night on points here. Will report back..
We're planning on staying here or Andaz WS the night of July 4th, since the Brooklyn Bridge has been announced as the location for the fireworks. I'm looking forward to seeing your comments, and any comparisons with Andaz WS you can make.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Just checked in. So far, not _thrilled_ with the welcome, but otherwise seems like a neat hotel with a bit of an old school hip vibe.

I was welcomed as a World of Hyatt Globalist and upgraded to a slightly larger room (still tiny) but not a suite. Suites were all showing as available. Had a fruit plane and welcome note waiting for me in the room. Seems like they're not quite up to speed as to how they should treat elites here. I asked about the suites and was told sold out. I don't believe that (hyatt.com showing all suites category as available). Also had to ask about breakfast.

Tempted to complain but too tired to deal with it tonight.

Otherwise, I like the decor. Quirky.

The price is good for NYC, and given the pricing puts this as the cheapest Manhattan property in Hyatt, can't complain.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by skj
We're planning on staying here or Andaz WS the night of July 4th, since the Brooklyn Bridge has been announced as the location for the fireworks. I'm looking forward to seeing your comments, and any comparisons with Andaz WS you can make.
I am staying here on July 4th as well! Booked with FN Globalist Cert (my friend booked me).

Tempted to complain but too tired to deal with it tonight.
When my friend called the front desk to book my stay, the phone reservation agent was super rude and told him she can't make a GOH booking. They had very less clue about Hyatt and Benefits.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster

They're clearly not up to speed yet
Old May 14, 2019, 1:14 pm

Stayed here 2 weeks ago on C4 cert and another room booked w/ points. Weekend rate was over $300. Supposed to be a GOH booking for the second room but the rep clearly didn't note it in the system. Early flight and arrived at 8 am, front desk was really nice and gave us rooms right away so I didn't ask for a suite, was upgraded to a premium room with high ceilings but room was pretty standard NY-size. Breakfast was at 1st floor restaurant, much better than your standard hotel breakfast but portions are not big. We ordered 1 entree and drink each.

Overall pretty good value combining the 1k+2k points rebate from the promo. Only downside for me is it's close to Wall St & Brooklyn Bridge but I'd prefer staying in midtown if not on business.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
Nice change of pace

Stayed here Sunday night. Cool, boutique vibe. Was impressed with the front desk staff - eager to help, welcomed me as a globalist, and upgraded me from the tiny room tI booked o a less tiny room. Has a definite old school vibe, almost European.Bed was comfortable. Room service breakfast was a pricey B+, a bit overcooked, but a little more adventurous than standard-issue Hyatts. Wifi was strong. A night in lower Manhattan was a nice change from midtown. i'd go back, for sure.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Will have to hit this location up when I come back to NYC - Stayed here a few times in the past 10 years and always enjoyed the property. Interested to see how it handles elite status.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

15 Gold St New York, NY 10038

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC (3 Photos)

After a two-night stay: a few more thoughts to share with y'all.

Overall, I'm happy enough considering the cost and would stay again. Great place to burn a Cat4 certificate and still a decent place to use points in town when cash prices are through the roof.

The staff is well intentioned, still learning the ropes of Hyatt but they seem to be excited to be part of this bigger brand now and keen to provide the benefits. It's not often I see a welcome fruit plate in NYC these days.

The design of the hotel is very New York. The building has old bones and is fairly small. The hallway are bright red with edgy art hanging from the walls. The lobby has interesting furniture, included a chess set which I saw a girl playing with one evening. The lobby bar is an old-school wodden bar.

I appreciate the quirkiness of the place, given one of my frequent complaints about Hyatt is that they're cookie-cutter and a monotonous sea of beige.

Check In

My big issue stemmed from the lack of upgrade on check-in was, and being told the property was sold out of King suites when it wasn't. I spoke to the manager the next day and he apologized though didn't proactively offer compensation (aside from a glass of welcome prossecco, which they didn't offer me at check-in

Room

My room would be fine as a base room, but it was a 2-category upgrade. Given this being the largest non-suite room — I'm scared to see how small the regular rooms are. I don't like the lack of bathroom counter space and having a bathtub for a shower.

Another potential issue I had, though I'm not quite ready to blame the hotel for it, is that I had issues sleeping. I'm not sure if a noise woke me up or if it just a mix of jet-lag, alcohol, and bad sleeping habits. That said, I did notice that the HVAC system felt extremely noisy, and when it turned itself off there was a clear shift, so perhaps I was woken up by the reverse. Will have to see if it's a bigger issue on a future stay.

Dining

Breakfast is alright. Better than most Marriott properties and unlimited-ish, though I prefer the offerings at the Andaz 5th, Hyatt Centric, and Union Sq Hyatt. They're still learning how to handle this benefit and so the charge had to be manually remove at check-out. The agent mentioned a "hidden" hard limit of $104/day, though you'd be hard pressed to reach that even with two people stuffing themselves, the menu is pretty cheap and spartan. Somehow they also removed a late-night drinks charge too under the breakfast benefit (I told them what it was).

The bar is pleasant for a night-cap. I otherwise didn't dine here.

Location is decent if you want to be around this area. Being 2 blocks from Fulton St. subway stop makes it real easy to get around. Getting to the office by Grand Central took me just 20min one morning despite the distance — gotta love the 4/5 express.

Pictures

IMG_0797.jpegIMG_0798.jpegIMG_0800.jpeg

Would you like to write a review on the Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC?

No, thank you.
Yes
59Impala likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:39 pm

I had pretty much an identical experience as [MENTION=328838]helvetic[/MENTION] over the course of a 4 night stay last week. The breakfast benefit is definitely generous and the food is a few good steps above regular Hyatts.
helvetic likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone know if this hotel charges the $20 "destination fee" on points (free night award) bookings? I know Hyatt generally waives such fees for elites on points bookings. But I'm not sure that (1) the waiver applies to these new Thompson hotels in the portfolio and/or (2) the hotel is yet aware of Hyatt's rules regarding points booking for elites.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I was not charged the destination fee, but that's a Globalist benefit. On points this time
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I was not charged the destination fee, but that's a Globalist benefit. On points this time
Hopefully they know that the fee doesn't apply for all elites on points bookings.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:06 am

So no one has been able to successfully get a suite yet right? Did you guys try to ask or push back when the app clearly showed suites were available?

I have a cat 4 cert that is going to expire soon. Looking to try this place out. I'll report back if I decide to use it here.
[MENTION=328838]helvetic[/MENTION] did you ask to speak to the manager or show them you were able to book a suite? there are multiple suites showing for me for the night i am looking at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.