Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by jayer
. . . .and there was no alternative arranged for other guests?

Really thought hard about this place. Changed destinations away from New York two or three times and and even cancelled reservations here once. Sounding like I made the right decision.
The restaurant did not offer anything, and I didn't bother with the front desk. We were hungry and ended up going out for coffee and (average at best) bagels from Leo's.

Like I said, the stay was fine, but I wouldn't return. I only stayed here because they had a decent rate and wanted to check off a Thompson hotel from the list. I think it's only a good choice if you want to stay in NYC at a Cat 4 hotel or need to stay in FiDi and can't swing the Andaz.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:36 pm

Gild Hall is adequate. (Obviously this description is subjective but I think broadly it applies well) If you're seeking a special experience, or if your needs are beyond adequate, then you really want to look elsewhere. It's "cheap" as a cat 4 with generally lower cash prices compared to most comparable hotels for a reason. Literally the only cat 4 Hyatt in Manhattan.

My singular stay there was totally fine, but my needs and expectations are relatively basic. Next trip we are booked at HR Jersey City. Will then be able to compare these two cat 4s and know for the future which one will be our preference moving forward, though I still think if the price is right then I'd rather stay at 50 Bowery or Park South for my budget/tastes. Oh, and as I understand it, Gild Hall isn't a great representation of Thompson.
xooz likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:40 pm

If it weren't for the silliness at the restaurant this would be my go to place for lower manhattan. The staff at the hotel are great but day after day a plain omelet would drive me nuts and one of the pleasures of this hotel is the intimate European feel so I value being able to eat in the restaurant.

Shame really.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Gild Hall is adequate. (Obviously this description is subjective but I think broadly it applies well) If you're seeking a special experience, or if your needs are beyond adequate, then you really want to look elsewhere. It's "cheap" as a cat 4 with generally lower cash prices compared to most comparable hotels for a reason. Literally the only cat 4 Hyatt in Manhattan.
Yeah it's 15k points in Manhattan, and thus the only place to burn a Cat 1-4 cert. Time for folks to adjust expectations. I don't expect anything beyond a clean room when burning a Marriott Cat 5 to stay at the RI Downtown/WTC, and I would expect about the same here.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah it's 15k points in Manhattan, and thus the only place to burn a Cat 1-4 cert. Time for folks to adjust expectations. I don't expect anything beyond a clean room when burning a Marriott Cat 5 to stay at the RI Downtown/WTC, and I would expect about the same here.
I tend to agree, but I think a Cat 1-4 Cert/15k WoH is worth a lot more than a Cat 5 Marriott FNC.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I tend to agree, but I think a Cat 1-4 Cert/15k WoH is worth a lot more than a Cat 5 Marriott FNC.
I agree the Hyatt program is better and the Hyatt certs thus more valuable. But a Hyatt Cat 1-4 and Marriott Cat 5 are very similar in terms of the types of properties they give access to.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I agree the Hyatt program is better and the Hyatt certs thus more valuable. But a Hyatt Cat 1-4 and Marriott Cat 5 are very similar in terms of the types of properties they give access to.
And trying to find a redemption for either program for certificates at these levels on Manhattan are few and far between.

David
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
(Tl;dr IMO, a nice stay. I'd probably go back.)

Stayed here recently, and the experience had a few similarities to puddy's.

Room: I thought the room (and bathroom) were nicely appointed; no issues with water pressure/temperature, room temperature, cleanliness, or wifi. Room is well stocked with snacks and drinks, but nearly everything has a charge (charges are well labeled). Amenities were typical to Thompson: individual D.S. & Durga, Bowmaker Scent.

Breakfast and Staff: Breakfast menu and hours were similar to others' experiences (except I had room service, explained below). I tried the "American Breakfast" option, and found it nicely prepared: each component was surprisingly tasty. One rather nice touch was the orange juice must've been fresh squeezed (like the kind you might find at a farmer's market). Breakfast hours seem to be both evolving and not correctly quoted on the website, so inquire ahead.

I too was there during a private party, so instead Felice (the restaurant) offered an informal room service option (overall elapsed time, ~30 min). At first, it was a bit of a hassle as it took a few calls to make it happen (there must've been a miscommunication between Felice and the front desk about correct procedure when the former has a private event). That said, once aware of the issue, the staff seemed proactive; desk staffer offered to walk over to the restaurant to ensure the room service request was fulfilled, and [I think] the restaurant manager/host herself delivered the doggie bag to my room. I think this is notable (maybe even laudable) because I've seen several recent reports of apathetic or idle staff at other properties (Hyatt or otherwise, NYC and elsewhere). Other staff experiences were similarly professional-yet-hospitable, though it helps to be courteous I think.

Elevator and Coffee and Neighborhood: The elevator is a bit of a wait at peak times, but IMO, it's probably in the normal range for a building of this height and "average population." Be aware that the lobby [pod] coffee machine is only available from 6am to 10am; one day when I wanted coffee at 10:30am (unaware of the 10am cutoff), they had punctually shut it down already but also made an exception for me. Building doesn't get a lot of sunlight because it's in FiDi, but also has excellent subway access for the same reason; neighborhood felt safe [to me] and almost too quiet.

Overall, I thought it was a decent/nice stay and would go back again, especially given the category level and the fact that Butler is gone.

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Nov 5, 2021 at 1:25 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am at the property thru Monday if folks have questions they'd like some boots on the ground to get answers for.

So far biggest issue was asking floors have the ice machines over the house phone and getting bad data so I had to go all the way back to the front desk and ask directly.

David
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had a one night stay on Thursday and just wanted to note that the free breakfast now has a 4th option, the "Felice Oatmeal" which is described as "warm organic oats, fresh blueberries, and honey." I had the American breakfast, and the eggs were cooked perfectly to my liking, bacon was tasty and crispy, but I thought the breakfast potatoes were pretty bland. Would have preferred toast instead but per the above, didn't want to make a potentially costly substitution error Staff didn't seem to be in a particularly welcoming mood. Didn't explain that I apparently could have had juice (per the post two above) and didn't refill my coffee or anything other than visit once to drop off my plate. That said it still beats Butler by a mile!

As with my prior visit, I was upgraded to the relatively roomy King Deluxe.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Am at the property thru Monday if folks have questions they'd like some boots on the ground to get answers for.

So far biggest issue was asking floors have the ice machines over the house phone and getting bad data so I had to go all the way back to the front desk and ask directly.

David
Do they actually have ice machines? I remember they had a tiny plastic ice “bucket” on the desk but I don’t remember seeing any ice machines while I was there. I ended up just going to the bar to get ice.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Do they actually have ice machines? I remember they had a tiny plastic ice “bucket” on the desk but I don’t remember seeing any ice machines while I was there. I ended up just going to the bar to get ice.
Yes this hotel does have ice machines. I was told specific floors when I used the house phone which were wrong/incorrect. However when I went down to the front desk and asked directly and specifically, floors 4, 10 and 14 are magic floors for ice machines.

Here's the tiny ice bucket that's in our room:

I've only confirmed the existence of the ice machine on the 4th floor but now I have more confidence of similar machines on the 10th and 14th floors.

David
Old Nov 7, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I had a one night stay on Thursday and just wanted to note that the free breakfast now has a 4th option, the "Felice Oatmeal" which is described as "warm organic oats, fresh blueberries, and honey." I had the American breakfast, and the eggs were cooked perfectly to my liking, bacon was tasty and crispy, but I thought the breakfast potatoes were pretty bland. Would have preferred toast instead but per the above, didn't want to make a potentially costly substitution error Staff didn't seem to be in a particularly welcoming mood. Didn't explain that I apparently could have had juice (per the post two above) and didn't refill my coffee or anything other than visit once to drop off my plate. That said it still beats Butler by a mile!

As with my prior visit, I was upgraded to the relatively roomy King Deluxe.
Agree on the service. Not exactly welcoming which doesn't really bother me. However, it was like pulling teeth just to get a cup of coffee. When I asked if I needed to sign anything, I got a "Not really" as the server walked away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ That said, it was a tasty breakfast with perfectly cooked eggs.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
This is my approach to the hotel as well. If I want a "nice" stay in NYC with my wife, I go for one of the higher end properties, usually the PH (yes, I know how many hate the place, but I've always had great stays there), but if its just me and I'm paying, Gild Hall is a great use of a cat 1-4 cert, but I'd suggest that if you can also use a suite upgrade, its actually a pretty nice hotel, especially given the size for a NYC property.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
3rd overnite stay this year. Asked for larger room and was given a Suite. Great to have the extra space with our dog so enjoyed the upgrade. Finally to eat breakfast at hotel but limited options and hours. My American breakfast didn't come with bread. Waitress said only comes with potato's or bread as a choice. Unfortunately she didn't offer me a choice. My wife got bread with her fruit bowl so it was fine. It appeared the waitress wasn't thrilled serving the hotel guests with breakfast vouchers.
parking was free no issues with billing at checkout

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.