Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalist, being told that I need to pay for my kids that are 6 and 8 in lounge??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Globalist, being told that I need to pay for my kids that are 6 and 8 in lounge??

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Hi there,
I am currently staying at the Grand Hyatt Manila, was at the lounge tonight eating with my 12, 8, and 6 year old kids (there were only four of us). As we were leaving the lounge the lounge attendant came to the elevator banks and said that for tonight she won't charge me for the kids but in the future they will. I told them that Hyatt policy stated that as a globalist i was entitled to 2 adults and 2 kids having lounge access. The attendant then goes on and asks me to show me the terms and conditions that i quote, mind you this is with my three kids in tow and it's making a little bit of a scene. I show her the website and the terms and she says "Thank you for your feedback." and I leave...

Now I realize as i read through the program details that defining a child is at a properties discretion but defining a child that is above 8 as an adult is asinine in my opinion. Have any of you experienced this before?

Last edited by ZBigFam; May 7, 2019 at 5:55 am
Old May 7, 2019, 8:12 am

In three, two, one, someone will say you have been bonvoyed

sometimes it just takes a reminder to the property that you don’t need to pay per the terms as you did.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Hi there,
I am currently staying at the Grand Hyatt Manila, was at the lounge tonight eating with my 12, 8, and 6 year old kids (there were only four of us). As we were leaving the lounge the lounge attendant came to the elevator banks and said that for tonight she won't charge me for the kids but in the future they will. I told them that Hyatt policy stated that as a globalist i was entitled to 2 adults and 2 kids having lounge access. The attendant then goes on and asks me to show me the terms and conditions that i quote, mind you this is with my three kids in tow and it's making a little bit of a scene. I show her the website and the terms and she says "Thank you for your feedback." and I leave...

Now I realize as i read through the program details that defining a child is at a properties discretion but defining a child that is above 8 as an adult is asinine in my opinion. Have any of you experienced this before?
My hunch is that it was just an overzealous employee. In the Airline world, I guess they would call that a "lounge dragon".

Anyway - no, I've never seen that at a couple dozen Hyatt lounges. Thank you for doing the annoying work of educating the Hyatt employees for the rest of us!
Old May 7, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
In three, two, one, someone will say you have been bonvoyed
I was more expecting someone to come along and say that children should never be allowed into the lounge...
Old May 7, 2019, 11:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Terms and Conditions:

(d) Club Lounge Access: When staying at a participating hotel or resort that has a Club lounge, Globalists will receive access to the Club lounge. When staying at a participating hotel or resort that does not have a Club lounge (or if Club lounge is closed), Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children. The age cut-off for a “child” is determined by each hotel or resort in its sole discretion. (For stays at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda, Globalists will instead be provided with daily continental breakfast (tax and gratuity included) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children.) Breakfast benefit (where provided) is not valid for in-room dining. Not valid at Miraval, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I was more expecting someone to come along and say that children should never be allowed into the lounge...
should be the case for at least the evening lounge service but then again morning can be a zoo at some places as well.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I heard from my concierge:

"Good morning! I am sorry but at this property children up to five years is free and 6-12 years is 50% off the rate so they would not be free and it is for up to two adults and two children in the room but some hotels have restrictions on age and if they charge.

I am sorry that I don't have better answers for you and please enjoy your stay."

I find this to be in direct contradiction to what my globalist benefits should be. I'm sorry you may think that kids shouldn't be in the lounge but this is part of the reason I value being a globalist so that when I do go on vacation I can bring my kids and we can enjoy ourselves. My kids are well behaved and we don't bother anyone.

I am severely disappointed.
christine, LASUA1K and strickerj like this.

Last edited by ZBigFam; May 7, 2019 at 6:17 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 6:42 pm

I really hated that they changed from 4 adults in room to 2 adults and 2 kids. Should just be 4 people period. Frankly that's is an absurd way to interpret that provision. So all 3 kids are adults? Come on. So basically a hotel can call any random age an adult or kid and make it so your 2 and 2 works or doesn't work.
christine likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You concierge is wrong. Escalate.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Liquor consumed by all those kids is not cheap
Employees in asia tend to be overzealous or overcautious as they fear for job security and money taken out of their paychecks - i came across variations of this on numerous occasions.
Find someone empowered to make decisions and it will be likely be easily resolved.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

"Good morning! I am sorry but at this property children up to five years is free and 6-12 years is 50% off the rate so they would not be free and it is for up to two adults and two children in the room but some hotels have restrictions on age and if they charge.

I am sorry that I don't have better answers for you and please enjoy your stay."

I find this to be in direct contradiction to what my globalist benefits should be. I'm sorry you may think that kids shouldn't be in the lounge but this is part of the reason I value being a globalist so that when I do go on vacation I can bring my kids and we can enjoy ourselves. My kids are well behaved and we don't bother anyone.

Ask to see where that is stated on the website. I’ve stayed at many Hyatt’s in Asia, and never seen that. I’d ask to speak with a manager.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:10 pm

just for kicks I played around with room rates and noted that children between 0-12 do not incur an extra cost. Once you put the kid at 13, the price changes at this property. To me that means children up to 12 should be free. Should escalate.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

I wrote the general manager and have yet to hear from him. This is absolutely ridiculous Imo. I don't mind them viewing my 12 year old as adult but my 8 and 6 year olds? This makes no sense at all. Who do I escalate past my concierge and the GM? The GM hasn't answered and my concierge as you can see hasn't been helpful.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hi there,

I have seen this kind of “we will charge you” thing happen with Hyatt RC access this year, including at some US locations.

The most ridiculous version was when a single parent of 3 young children was told that the parent and one child can use the lounge together at a time but that efforts to bring in more than one child at a time would result in being charged for lounge access. The kids looked to be under 8 years of age with the youngest being a little walking kid in diapers. And the time before I saw this happen to a single parent with two even younger kids.

Included Regency Club/lounge access per room cut to 2 guests per room ?

Leaving young children unattended in a hotel room is a bad idea. And yet to use the lounge would mean paying up even more in one way or another.
christine likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:43 am

I stay at the Hyatt Regency in City of Dreams monthly and we have a group that occasionally stays at the Grand Hyatt when they visit. One of my co-workers who is globalist stays over there when they visit and out rate includes breakfast. At the Grand Hyatt they would only allow him to take breakfast in the lounge while everyone else took breakfast in the restaurant. They just did not understand that it made no sense since our rate includes breakfast in the restaurant regardless of status. We ended up reaching out to Peter Sullivan, the GM of the Regency and he took care of it. He is really solid and knows what he is doing and might be worth while reaching out to him. He will reach out to the folks in BGC and help if needed.
christine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.