Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Toronto Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thompson Toronto Review

I stayed at the Thompson Toronto recently and don't see any info on here about it so thought I could share my impressions.

Property:
  • Location is close to King West, which means restaurants and nightlife, easy walking distance to West Queen West boutiques. Lots of decent food options within 10-15 minute walk. Not a typical touristy area (can be a pro or a con) and not close to the financial district (again – could go either way)
  • Hotel is 9 years old. Rooms are well maintained and the lobby is well maintained but the hallways feel their age and some minor features are a bit long in the tooth. If anyone is familiar with Toronto condominiums, the hallways, elevators, etc. feel exactly like a trendy condo from the early 2010s.
  • Gym is not massive but a very decent size with quality equipment. I was impressed.
  • All the staff I encountered were pleasant (housekeeping, room service, restaurant, front desk)
  • Basic wifi speed is atrocious. Premium wifispeed is acceptable
  • The Thompson Diner is famous amongst locals and looks really classy for the concept but I thought the food was a let down. Really overhyped.
  • Rooftop bar is the key attraction. The weather wasn’t great during my stay so I didn’t check it out.

WOH benefits:
  • I stayed in the early days of Thompson being integrated into WOH.
  • Front desk agent at check-inread me my full set of Globalist benefits.
  • Pre-upgraded to a suite. Nice room but a few quirks: the HVAC fan was either on or off - the auto mode did nothing. Although the hotel advertises floor to ceiling windows, most of the windows in the suites on the west side of the building (facing Bathurst) seem to be frosted out… light still comes in and there is a small-ish window that isn’t frosted but I didn’t like the concept.
  • For hairdryer fans, there was a Dyson in the room.
  • Free Globalist breakfast provided at the Thompson Diner. Meal vouchers provided cover one drink (coffee/tea/juice) and one main from the menu per person. Breakfast can be ordered via room service for a C$3 charge. My thoughts on the food at the Thompson Diner are above. Big portions but generally disappointed by the actual dishes.
  • Had to assert my entitlement to a late check-out on the last day but it got resolved with no further issues.

Conclusion:
  • I like the property more than the Hyatt Regency but this hotel had (has?) pretentions of being in the same league as the city’s five star hotels. It isn’t.
  • Would I come back? Sure, if the location and price were right for the trip.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:15 pm

Small issue... but according to WOH terms, you are entitled to two beverages at breakfast (one hot such as coffee/tea and one cold such as juice.)

Dislike when they use vouchers... cheapens things. Better when you can just charge to room.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Probably the best Hyatt option in Toronto until the PH is back.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Recently completed a stay at the Thompson Toronto during the Raptors’ championship parade week. As a Globalist, we were pre-upgraded to a suite (it was also my wife’s birthday so that might have helped). The staff wished her a happy birthday (which is always nice) and sent up a box of healthy snacks (dried fruits, nuts). Everyone we encountered at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. The only issue I had was housekeeping coming by on 3 separate occasions from 9-11 to see when I was checking out, despite a request for 4pm Check-out and having the “Do Not Disturb” light on.

The suite was very modern with a decent sized bedroom and smallish living room. The bathroom was quite large with a soaking tub and a rain forest shower. There was also a Nespresso machine which I always appreciate, but no tea options. The rooftop bar and pool was as advertised. The views were amazing and since we were there during the Finals parade, it was quite a popping scene.

As CXYYZ notes earlier, the breakfast taken at the Thompson diner and room service (essentially same food as diner) was large in terms of portions but a bit disappointing in the taste department. The vouchers are good for diner breakfast or room service. The slip said there would be a $3 surcharge for room service breakfast but we never saw it on our bill. “High” speed Internet was choppy but serviceable.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate to stay again the next time we’re in YYZ. We also squeezed in a night at the Hyatt Regency and the Thompson is the clear choice (at least until the Park Hyatt reopens).
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:39 am

Thanks for the updated review [MENTION=227430]tigerwong[/MENTION] Is the voucher still for one main and one drink? No sides included I'm assuming? What about the complimentary water? Is it in the room or you need to get it at the front desk? Thank you.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:45 am

Deleted duplicate post
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
One main, one drink is what’s stated. Juices do not include the cold pressed blends (which ironically are the only juices listed on the menu). We didn’t order sides since we assumed they weren’t included. I ordered a coffee in addition to an orange juice one morning with room service and saw nothing on my bill so ymmv in multiple beverages. I was given two bottles of water daily during turndown service.

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thanks for the updated review [MENTION=227430]tigerwong[/MENTION] Is the voucher still for one main and one drink? No sides included I'm assuming? What about the complimentary water? Is it in the room or you need to get it at the front desk? Thank you.
cruisingmickey likes this.

Last edited by tigerwong; Jun 26, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:05 am
Original Poster

The Thompson Toronto will leave Hyatt. It is due to close for renovation (timing not clear) and is scheduled to reopen as the 1 Hotel Toronto next summer. Hyatt is accepting reservations into next summer so no idea what's going on here.

The target for a summer 2020 re-opening after an "extensive transformation" seems pretty aggressive, bordering on highly unlikely unless they're overpromising on the extent of the transformation. I find the press release to be long on marketing and short on substance.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...815710175.html
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hotel is no longer bookable after Dec 31. Hyatt is proactively calling people with reservations after this date to make alternative arrangements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.