Wiki Posts
Search

Milestone Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
And you'd have to stay at a Cat 4 to get the most value out of it, and that makes up maybe 10% of Hyatt's portfolio (never stayed at a Cat 4 myself...don't think they exist in Japan?) Plus the fact that points are essentially eternal for a Globalist.

You might convince me that a Cat 1-4 free night is worth 6000 points, but I still find that valuation generous.
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Exactly, I would have ballparked it at 5,000 pts. To many members it is next to worthless. ....
LOL. I’m endlessly amused by the number of FlyerTalkers who supposedly stay at Hyatt dozens of times per year to the point that the welcome amenity points were a huge loss, but who also — somehow — can’t manage to use a Cat 1-4 certificate within 6 months, or use it at a valuation above Cat 1.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by escape4
Pardon my ignorance, but this is news to me: let's say I want a 7-night stay, the first 6 are paid cash (or 15k pts times 6), and for the last night I want to use the Cat 1-4 free night, are you saying I cannot use a Globalist Suite Upgrade on my 7-night stay? Or I would have a suite for the first 6 nights but not for the last night? I always thought the cat 1-4 free night was exactly the same as using 15k pts, except that you have an expiration date attached to it.

If I cannot use an upgrade, then I should only use my free night on a stay where I do NOT intend to use one of my 4 suite upgrades?

By definition the maximum value the cat 1-4 can be worth is 15k pts so a fair valuation would put it below 15k pts. How far below 15k pts depends on the guest's stay patterns.
No, per the T&C you cannot use a TSU with those Cat 1-4 or Cat 1-7 free nights, and if you attach it to a reservation on which you are using a TSU, the TSU becomes invalid for the entire reservation. In practice there are ways to try to circumvent this restriction, but that is what the T&C say, so your luck may vary.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami

LOL. I’m endlessly amused by the number of FlyerTalkers who supposedly stay at Hyatt dozens of times per year to the point that the welcome amenity points were a huge loss, but who also — somehow — can’t manage to use a Cat 1-4 certificate within 6 months, or use it at a valuation above Cat 1.
DUH, maybe you could try reading a post before quoting it...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by uppereastsider

HR Tokyo is a category 3 in Japan (great value). The HR in Okinawa is cat 4

I routinely use my free cat 1-4 night at the HR Boston where I’ve had room rates for 550/night and used the award. I’ve also used it for a Guest or Honor (free night coupons work with it) for my friend staying in Bangkok for the GH Bangkok there. The HR Amsterdam would be a good use of it as well.

Ive used the feee cat 1-7 award each year at the Hyatt ziva Cancun and have started a tradition of booking that in a January after I get the award. Right now that room rate is 500/night.

For me, these are very nice substitutes vs the diamond amenity award, especially since I do a lot of HH/HPs in rural towns I visit for work, so I’d only be getting 500 points. On the flip side tho. I did do 82 nights this year, so maybe my math sucks and I would have done better with the amenity
So you would pay 15,000 pts for one of these awards? Or are you saying the 41,000 to 82,000 pts (supposed average of 61,500 pts) would somehow be worth more than one Cat 1- one Cat 1-7 and 5,000 pts? PT Barnum would have a nice description of people like that.

I did not say that these award are worthless to everyone. But ask yourself how many pts you would exchange for one, considering a 6-month expiration, limited availability, and inability to combine with a TSU (or Club Access Upgrade) on the same reservation.

Go ahead, how much? People who think they are really worth a lot should be able to put a pt price on them. Would you be willing to exchange more than 5000-6000 pts for one of these Cat 1-4 free nights, especially WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SPECIFY THE TIMING OF THE TRANSACTION?

Last edited by OsakaWino; Dec 20, 2018 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
No, per the T&C you cannot use a TSU with those Cat 1-4 or Cat 1-7 free nights, and if you attach it to a reservation on which you are using a TSU, the TSU becomes invalid for the entire reservation. In practice there are ways to try to circumvent this restriction, but that is what the T&C say, so your luck may vary.
I was completely unaware of this, thanks for bringing it up! ^
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

DUH, maybe you could try reading a post before quoting it...
I did read the post, which echos the complaints we’ve read in a dozen prior threads. The idea that a 6-month Cat 1-4 certificate is only worth 5,000 to 6,000 points for people who supposedly have dozens of Hyatt stays per year is simply laughable. (I suppose there’s a very small demographic of people making dozens of Cat 5+ stays per year, but that’s a demo that’s unlikely to worry about welcome-amenity points.)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:30 am

I did read the post, which echos the complaints we’ve read in a dozen prior threads. The idea that a 6-month Cat 1-4 certificate is only worth 5,000 to 6,000 points for people who supposedly have dozens of Hyatt stays per year is simply laughable. (I suppose there’s a very small demographic of people making dozens of Cat 5+ stays per year, but that’s a demo that’s unlikely to worry about welcome-amenity points.)
where did I say that I have dozens of Hyatt stays a year. nor did anyone else you quoted. but of course that is irrelevant; it is simple economics, with the emphasis on simple. a cert with a max value of 15,000 pts but with a limited expiry, restricted availability, no control over exchange timing, and no sanctioned combinability with other instruments is simply not intrinsically worth 15,000 pts. To me, if I were given such a cert, at most times of the year I would consider it worthless.

Not sure what they teach in US schools, but it does not seem to be much emphasis on the 3 Rs.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I have yet to have trouble 'naturally' using a free night cert for anything less than a Cat 3 stay. I have actually earned and easily burned five certificates in the last 6 months at nothing less than a cat 3 (the 30 night cert, the 60 night cert, the first CC cert, the 15K spend CC cert, and the brand explorer cert). I would easily give a cat1-4 certificate a 12,000 pt valuation, but I know I would at least get that much value from it, with a decent shot of a getting 15,000 pts worth out of it.

Personally, I don't give any care about the amenity point system. I would have gotten a grand total of 25,000 points this year in 'amenity points', and all but four stays were at 'full service' hotels. Meanwhile, with WoH, my 100 nights for the year provided me with a Cat 1-4 (used at a cat 3 for 12,000 points), a Cat 1-7 (used at a cat 4 for 15,000 points), and 40,000 bonus points at the 70/80/90/100 levels. If I just counted my first 60 nights, I would have gotten only 17,000 worth of amenity points, meanwhile, I happily burned 24,000 worth of value from the two certificates.

But, nothing should be looked at individually. By leaps and bounds, I will take today's WoH (and their WoH CC) over GP.

And to swing back on topic, the only change a 'loyal' member like me incurs from the milestone rewards is that I will get an additional 5000 pt bonus at 40 nights, and a couple of TSUs a little bit earlier in the year. The 55/60 nights re qualification change makes no difference.

Just like other changes since WoH rolled out, this is just another UP-valuation of the program for a high-night stayer like me.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
So you would pay 15,000 pts for one of these awards? Or are you saying the 41,000 to 82,000 pts (supposed average of 61,500 pts) would somehow be worth more than one Cat 1- one Cat 1-7 and 5,000 pts? PT Barnum would have a nice description of people like that.

I did not say that these award are worthless to everyone. But ask yourself how many pts you would exchange for one, considering a 6-month expiration, limited availability, and inability to combine with a TSU (or Club Access Upgrade) on the same reservation.

Go ahead, how much? People who think they are really worth a lot should be able to put a pt price on them. Would you be willing to exchange more than 5000-6000 pts for one of these Cat 1-4 free nights, especially WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SPECIFY THE TIMING OF THE TRANSACTION?
The examples I brought up... these were all reservations I would have done with or without the award. I stay at the HR Boston 4-5x a year for pleasure, more than once every 6 months, so yes, I would gladly exchange 5000, 6000 or even 10k points for the Cat 1-4 nights with a 6 month expiration, because otherwise I would have spent 15k. I am able to charge my rent to a credit card, and I'm putting the first 15k on my Hyatt card just to get the free cat 1-4 night, vs putting it on my CFU paired with CSR, which costs me 7500 UR points... so yes, that's a price I'm willing to pay (15k points earned vs 22,500 UR points). I've never had an issue using my certificate if there was points space available.. and the one time I had an issue, my concierge had no problem securing the reservation.

I also use my points for guest of honor reservations, so saving points to get an award certificate would be great. People really enjoy being surprised with a hotel room, especially the infrequent traveller who gets my globalist benefits #BestWeddingGift #BestCelebrationGift

I also stay at the Andaz Amsterdam, Ziva Cancun, PH Zurich and GH Tokyo multiple times each year, all on points, so yes, I'd gladly spend 15-20k for an award with 6 month expiration to save the points!!

The inability to add a TSU sucks, but I'm just glad they count for elite credit... baby steps with Hyatt

Again, this is all YMMV, but I'm just sharing the experience of someone who finds great value in these awards. Many people won't get the same benefit or have the same travel patterns. For me, my work and pleasure travel just happen to directly align with Hyatt
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:47 am
Suspended

where did I say that I have dozens of Hyatt stays a year. nor did anyone else you quoted. but of course that is irrelevant; it is simple economics, with the emphasis on simple. a cert with a max value of 15,000 pts but with a limited expiry, restricted availability, no control over exchange timing, and no sanctioned combinability with other instruments is simply not intrinsically worth 15,000 pts. To me, if I were given such a cert, at most times of the year I would consider it worthless.

Not sure what they teach in US schools, but it does not seem to be much emphasis on the 3 Rs.
Exactly zero people here have said they’d pay 15,000 points for a Cat 1-4 cert. The debate is over the discount rate, which certainly isn’t ~70 percent.

Beyond that, if you’re making Globalist but not on dozens of stays, then you’re not losing that many welcome-amenity points vis-a-vis the replacement bonus(es). Indeed, you’re probably coming out ahead.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:04 am

I hope the brand can find some consistency on implementing these restrictions.

Case in point: the PH Vendome refused my using a TSU when a Cat 7 free redemption was part of my stay, but allowed it for others. Here's my issue. If special treatment is based on merit (spending, value, relationship), fine--this is how the world works. But, for Glob tiers applying a standardized TSU, it should be uniform, and there shouldn't be cases where some Globs were allowed to "circumvent" this, while others were not.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:13 pm

I have never had a tsu rejected because I used a free night. Frankly there is ZERO reason to justify that because you can apply tsu to award nights now, so there is absolutely NO logic to denying that type of use.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Exactly zero people here have said they’d pay 15,000 points for a Cat 1-4 cert
Saying that a Cat 1-4 cert is "the equivalent" of 15000 points doesn't imply that that's what the person who said that is willing to pay?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish Hyatt would publish and standardize their policy of giving points for expiring cat 1-4 certs.

Actually, I just wish that they would give a choice of points or certs. Why are they encouraging someone who stays at high-end properties to stay at cheaper ones? Almost all my stays are at Cat 5 or 6 properties -- I have to really struggle to find a place to use a cat 1-4 cert. I'd rather pay to stay in a nice place -- why would Hyatt discourage that?

I am using 2 cat 1-4 certs for 2 nights at the HR Tokyo (out of 4 nights in Tokyo) I'm paying $500/night at the GH Tokyo for the other two. I'd be paying $500/night at the GH for all 4 nights if they didn't give out these stupid certs. Just offer me a choice, I'd take the 10k points per cert or whatever, and spend more money at the higher end property. Win/win.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Exactly zero people here have said they’d pay 15,000 points for a Cat 1-4 cert.
Um, you even liked the post (66) that started this line of argument, in which the cert is literally stated as a "15k point equivalent".
hailstorm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.