Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

I feel like most Hyatt brands are relatively distinguishable from each other and if you blindfolded me and put me in one, I could probably tell which brand it was once inside the door (and inside the room) but without access to the brand name. This applies to all Hyatt brands EXCEPT HR and GH....

I thought GH's were supposed to be more "convention" hotels attached to or near convention centers, etc, yet the (truly gorgeous) GH Playa Del Carmen isn't like that. Similarly, there are many HR's that definitely ARE heavy duty convention hotels, if this is the rule then shouldn't they be GH? Size wise, yes GH's are typically large, but not larger than many similar HR's. They seem to have basically identical brand standards, in-room amenities, etc. In terms of locations, both occupy similar locations and GH's exist in places where HR's don't (odd that NYC/Manhattan lacks a HR but has a GH, so does Playa Del Carmen...) so it's not a "we already have an HR there so let's call it a GH" issue. The ONLY difference I can think of (and this might not be accurate) is that all GH's appear to have clubs, while many HR's don't.

I just don't see any rhyme or reason. Am I missing something?

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME GH lounges are superior to HR lounges, even after setting expectations based on the location. In addition, the lounge itself seems to be bigger after adjusting for the size of the hotel.

I used to think that HR meant that there would be a lounge, but I've been told that it requires a certain amount and quality of event space.
markko likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME GH lounges are superior to HR lounges, even after setting expectations based on the location. In addition, the lounge itself seems to be bigger after adjusting for the size of the hotel.

I used to think that HR meant that there would be a lounge, but I've been told that it requires a certain amount and quality of event space.

Interesting. IME the lounges are very similar between the two brands, but I don't claim to be an expert on that. That said, I think there's more to it than event space size/quality that determines whether an HR has a club. For example, basically all the HR's in Texas have no clubs (HR Dallas, HR North Dallas, HR Houston Downtown, HR San Antonio, etc.)... Some of these are truly iconic properties, too.. like the HR Dallas (which for a decade was featured prominently during the intro to the TV show Dallas) and it does a mammoth event business.... Oddly, they DID put a club into the brand new HR Houston Galleria, which does NOT strike me as an event-centric property....
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

In Asia and the Middle East, the GHs are almost always grander and more luxurious than their HR counterparts. More F&B outlets and bigger facilities like spas and pools. The pricing usually reflects this as well.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I feel that there is a pretty strong difference between GH and HR overall, though, there are always oddities.

Really, GH seems reserved for full service Hyatts that are a level above HRs -- better soap, better service, better lounges, better restaurants, better quality meeting spaces, better gyms (with better shower facilities and stocked bath supplies). Every GH I have been is a level above the HRs in the same market on these characteristics.

HRs come in three flavors --- 1. The modest full service Hyatt, usually in suburban locations, that offers a standard guest room experience and full service amenities, oriented around a practical business traveler, 2. The modest full service not-all-inclusive "resort" property (HR Lake Tahoe, HR Honolulu, some HRs in SE Asia), And 3. Large convention center hotels with 1000+ rooms. And by large, as in entire block sized floors of meeting rooms (HR Minneapolis, HR New orleans, etc). GHs (as far as I can recall) only have fairly modest meeting room space by comparison.

For Hyatt's definitions, see https://www.hyatt.com/development/ourbrands

Too add: I think of GHs much more of large-luxury-like properties. Typically they are just too large to be a true luxury property, but otherwise has great service all around that one should expect at a luxury property.

Last edited by MarkOK; Dec 14, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Interesting. IME the lounges are very similar between the two brands, but I don't claim to be an expert on that. That said, I think there's more to it than event space size/quality that determines whether an HR has a club. For example, basically all the HR's in Texas have no clubs (HR Dallas, HR North Dallas, HR Houston Downtown, HR San Antonio, etc.)... Some of these are truly iconic properties, too.. like the HR Dallas (which for a decade was featured prominently during the intro to the TV show Dallas) and it does a mammoth event business.... Oddly, they DID put a club into the brand new HR Houston Galleria, which does NOT strike me as an event-centric property....
NO, I'm not saying that the convention space requires whether or not a HR has a lounge but rather that having a lounge isn't part of being called a HR, but having sufficient quality and quantity of event space is a criterion. This is based on a conversation with a GM at the time the property was changing from a Hyatt to a HR, a couple years ago. There could be grandfathered HRs without much event space.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I worked for Hyatt back when the first Grand Hyatt was introduced (Grand Hyatt New York, Trump's first big real-estate deal). Contrary to the OP, I would say just the opposite, that the Hyatt Regencies are convention/meeting hotels, and Grand Hyatts tend to be big, fancy hotels catering to business and upscale tourist travelers. But you're right, there's really little different in the rooms. In my experience, the Grand Hyatts (perhaps due to their urban locations) tend to have smaller rooms. The Grand Hyatt NY has a huge variety of rooms, but some are VERY small. The Grand Hyatt San Francisco used to be Hyatt on Union Square, not even a Regency in the name. I stayed as an employee, and was struck by how small the rooms were. I doubt that's changed any. The HR San Francisco has far more meeting space, though.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:32 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
There is absolutely nothing luxurious about Grand Hyatts. The NYC location is an absolute dump. The others I've stayed in were also lackluster (e.g. Tokyo — nice but nothing compared to Andaz or PH)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hyatt.com/development/ourbrands/grandhyatt/specsgallery

there are fans of grand hyatt tokyo club, top suite there has a swimming pool
(dont think any hyatt regency have top suites like some (not all) grand hyatt..)

rio (suites)
berlin (club)
multiple asia including bangkok (spa cottages)

like every other brand (including all but one of the most expensive and luxurious brands) there is extremely dramatic variation within brand portfolio
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
There is absolutely nothing luxurious about Grand Hyatts. The NYC location is an absolute dump. The others I've stayed in were also lackluster (e.g. Tokyo — nice but nothing compared to Andaz or PH)
If you judge GHs by the one in NYC you are missing the mark. GH’s in Asia are some of the best. The GH NYC is a dump.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hyatt.com/development/ourbrands/grandhyatt/specsgallery

there are fans of grand hyatt tokyo club, top suite there has a swimming pool
(dont think any hyatt regency have top suites like some (not all) grand hyatt..)

rio (suites)
berlin (club)
multiple asia including bangkok (spa cottages)

like every other brand (including all but one of the most expensive and luxurious brands) there is extremely dramatic variation within brand portfolio
The thing is the branding in Japan just doesn't make sense. Hyatt Regency Kyoto is supposed to be extremely nice. HR Hakone is very classy.
And in Hong Kong there is the HR which is a dump and GH which is amazing.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there are fans of grand hyatt tokyo club,
Not me.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mnredfox

If you judge GHs by the one in NYC you are missing the mark. GH’s in Asia are some of the best. The GH NYC is a dump.
Middle East as well are very opulent and luxurious.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by helvetic
There are plenty of very nice GHs. GH Kuala Lumpur is luxurious. GH Seattle is fantastic. GH DFW is one of the best airport hotels on the planet. GHs in DC, Denver, HK are all quite comfortable.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
In Asia and the Middle East, the GHs are almost always grander and more luxurious than their HR counterparts. More F&B outlets and bigger facilities like spas and pools. The pricing usually reflects this as well.
Yes, also I would add European properties like Grand Hyatt Berlin. There is a very clear difference between GH and HR in these markets as you note. Whereas, in North America, Grand and Regency properties can be more or less the same. Indeed, sometimes there are two Hyatt hotels in a city and one has to be called the Grand and the other the Regency. At least hypothetically speaking the Grand is supposed to be positioned higher in those cases, but often I do not see any evidence of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.