Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

European Hyatts - why so family unfriendly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold

Warning - a rant ahead!

Most of my travel is for leisure, and having two kids under 10, it's difficult to travel without them! I've been really trying to stay loyal to Hyatt (and use my hard-earned Globalist benefits), but this is pretty ridiculous. Beside there being almost no properties in Europe, most of them allow no more than 2-3 people per room, even in their TSU-eligible suites. No roll-aways, no sleeper sofas - the answer I'm getting from individual properties is "book multiple rooms" - not at the rates they are charging! I know about the 50% family discount, but why would I stay at a Hyatt when there's plenty of other options that are so much cheaper if I can't use my points or book a reasonable rate at Hyatt?

After the next year, I think I'll be done with Hyatt - would Hilton or Marriott (currently Gold in both via Amex Platinum) be better for "family friendly" properties? I'm leaning toward Hilton as the breakfast is comped for Golds and Diamonds.

Last edited by sch_flyer; Oct 23, 2018 at 9:04 am Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
These are fire regulations. You might as well be calling them out for not serving liquor to minors.

no difference between chains.
janehoya likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Good luck with any hotel in Europe, regardless of chains or independent, that will allow for 4 persons to a room, even 3 is tough. Most rooms are too small to accommodate more than 2. I've paid for 3rd person in Italy several times. I've also been able to get 3 people to a room many times, by booking for 2 and check in with 3.

This is not Hyatt being unfriendly to family. Your best bet is to go Airbnb.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CIT85
Good luck with any hotel in Europe, regardless of chains or independent, that will allow for 4 persons to a room, even 3 is tough. Most rooms are too small to accommodate more than 2. I've paid for 3rd person in Italy several times. I've also been able to get 3 people to a room many times, by booking for 2 and check in with 3.

This is not Hyatt being unfriendly to family. Your best bet is to go Airbnb.
I respectfully disagree - take Vienna for example, Park Hyatt - max occupancy 2-3. Searching Hilton, there are 3 hotels that have family rooms/suites that sleep 4. London - none of the Hyatts sleep 4 in a standard room/suite; there's a ton of Hiltons that have rooms that sleep 4. Park Hyatt Milan - max 2-3; most Hiltons in and around Milan sleep 4. I haven't even looked at Marriott, but I suspect I'll find more variety.

There's a ton of boutique and small chain hotels with rooms that sleep 4 all over Europe too. It really seems that European Hyatt properties just don't want travelers with children. Too bad - I really wanted to give them some business.

As for AirBnB - it just doesn't work well for our travel patterns and preferences.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:28 am

I tend to book a room a room for 2 or 3, and then just check in with 2 kids (10 and 6). I do make sure a room a practically big enough (under 40sqm is unpleasant), but other than that, we take our chances. I haven’t been denied entry or forced to buy a second room yet, though I have paid some exhorbitant rollaway fees.

As as a positive example, we recently used my wife’s two free credit card nights at the PH Zurich, booked for 3 with a king and a rollaway. She checked in alone while I checked out the neighborhood with the kids. She met us out, and then we all walked back to the room together. No trouble and no charge for the rollaway.

I do spend time being nervous over how it will go though. If you want to avoid the stress, book elsewhere. I wouldn’t try it at PH Paris having been there, and I was too nervous about Milan to try.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:22 am

I too have noticed this and been frustrated by it when planning family trips to Europe. Hyatt does not seem to be totally unique in this regard, but appears to be worse than Hilton and Marriott and some of the other chains, which do offer a number of hotels in major cities that can accommodate 2 adults + 2 children. Interestingly the situation seems to be reversed in Japan, where among the major chains, Hyatt may have some of the only standard hotel rooms that are listed for 4-person occupancy (for ex. at the PH and GH in Toyko).

For properties outside the USA in particular, it sometimes seems like the occupancy limits for different hotel rooms are just selected at random, or have been set by some remote IT staffer who has never seen the room in question or contemplated potential family sleeping arrangements. It's not uncommon at all for a room with 2 double beds to be listed as max. occupancy 3 (or sometimes even just 2), while a suite at the same hotel -- that is larger but only has one king bed -- is listed as accommodating up to 4 people.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
These are fire regulations. You might as well be calling them out for not serving liquor to minors.

No

Yes

in general many properties will allow smaller kids in existing bedding but you have to contact hotel to confirm. I stayed twice at Ararat PH with two kids. I recall Vienna was OK as well although we ended up not going there. In general not many hyatts in EU so choices are definitely limited vs other chains
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sch_flyer
I respectfully disagree - take Vienna for example, Park Hyatt - max occupancy 2-3. ...
unfortunately hyatt redesigned hotel site so i can only find this externally:
https://www.trip.com/hotels/vienna-h...-hyatt-vienna/

Children and Extra Beds
  1. Children are welcome at this hotel.
  2. For each room, up to 3 children between 0-11 years old can use existing beds.

..Milan. ...
Milan was one of the most challenging places to find room for 4 - had to deal with it last summer... i spoke with hilton and they wanted an obscene premium for some room that wasnt listed, a couple starriot properties were not particularly helpful.. a luxury collection place by central station had kids under 12 free policy.. some lower end chains - holiday inn, hgi etc actually had rooms listed with quadruple occupancy but not too many overall.. ended up staying at moxy LIN as it was only 1 nt after arrival... judging by rather random distribution this appeared to me as local way to charge extra rather than any fire code etc as many ppl refer to here...

Last edited by azepine00; Oct 23, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:45 pm

I respectfully disagree - take Vienna for example, Park Hyatt - max occupancy 2-3. Searching Hilton, there are 3 hotels that have family rooms/suites that sleep 4.
Yep I concur. We did a trip around Europe earlier this year with 2 kids under 10. No issues finding suitable 2 Adult+2Kid rooms with mostly Hiltons and one Wyndham in Amsterdam, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and others.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
In the past I booked the max occupancy and had my Hyatt concierge reach out to the hotel to see what their policy on my 2nd kid. Many times they cannot change in system but would agree to allow the 4th person in the room. I would get written (email) confirmation just in case I ran into issues (which I have yet to - knock on wood). Some hotels could not be flexible with the 2nd kid and I would simply cancel the rez and try elsewhere.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by beachfan

Fire regulations aren’t the primary reason for European hotels more broadly having worse occupancy restrictions than US hotels.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
It isn't Hyatt ..... it all comes down to > Europe isn't the USA
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by azepine00
unfortunately hyatt redesigned hotel site so i can only find this externally:
https://www.trip.com/hotels/vienna-h...-hyatt-vienna/

Children and Extra Beds
  1. Children are welcome at this hotel.
  2. For each room, up to 3 children between 0-11 years old can use existing beds.
I don't believe this information is accurate. I emailed the Vienna Park Hyatt directly, and received the following response:

Thank you very much for your interest in our property. According to our policy, it is not possible to let more than 3 persons stay in a room. Unfortunately we have to inform you that we are not able to reserve a single Park Suite for all four of you.
As others have noted, you can probably book for 3 and show up with 4, but then you run into issues like breakfast not being comped for everyone, or physically not having enough room for the kids to sleep if there's only a twin roll-away or a non-sleeper sofa.

Another weirdness I've noticed is that at some "leisure" properties, suites have lesser max occupancy vs. standard rooms - Grand Hyatt Baha Mar and Park Hyatt St. Kitts, for example, have a max occupancy of 2-3 for their suites - and these are properties that should be catering to families! WTH?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by blitzen
It isn't Hyatt ..... it all comes down to > Europe isn't the USA
Hyatt could — if it wanted to — have instituted and enforced brand standards to make its hotels have a minimum proportion of their rooms able to accommodate a family of four or five persons in a given room, but Hyatt’s catering to get business from hotel owners is a more critical corporate priority than Hyatt’s wooing hotel guests with larger room occupancy standards at the expense of its relationship with hotel owners.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Hyatt could — if it wanted to — have instituted and enforced brand standards to make its hotels have a minimum proportion of their rooms able to accommodate a family of four or five persons in a given room, but Hyatt’s catering to get business from hotel owners is a more critical corporate priority than Hyatt’s wooing hotel guests with larger room occupancy standards at the expense of its relationship with hotel owners.
Due to fire codes, or min square meter per occupant or ..... rules that change by country/ city that would have been very hard. Especially given that in Europe the building are not newly build on a wide open lot but years old (sometimes 100+ years) when rooms were smaller. And I don't think any hotel would combine 2 rooms just to have the ability to accomodate 4 (that is what connecting rooms are for). If Hyatt would have insisted the hotel owner would be with Hilton, Marriott, .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.