Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt website room upgrades (selling room upgrades cheap?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP

was searching hyatt andaz 5th, 2 doubles was 300, terrace suite was 600..

booked the 2 doubles, and logged in after the fact, and saw terrace suite upgrade was $80 more per night... so i saved $660 on three nights??

any idea why they would go this route?

i even received the confirmation of the upgrade already>?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:02 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by broncophil

booked the 2 doubles, and logged in after the fact, and saw terrace suite upgrade was $80 more per night... so i saved $660 on three nights??

any idea why they would go this route?

i even received the confirmation of the upgrade already>?
Some properties appear to be offering discounted upgrades confirmed after making your initial booking. Far superior to Hilton's NOR1 that is only confirmed at time of check in. Very smart move.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Some properties appear to be offering discounted upgrades confirmed after making your initial booking. Far superior to Hilton's NOR1 that is only confirmed at time of check in. Very smart move.
Welcome to the end of free Globalist upgrades at check in....
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:39 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
All hotels look to maximise revenue It's no different to offering cash at check in for a better room.

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 24, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does Hyatt think it's an airline?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by broncophil

Where are you logging in to see the upgrade upsell?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's strange to offer them like this, though (that is, confirmable at rates far less than the spread at booking) if the upgrades are being offered even on non-prepaid bookings. If this becomes the norm, then every time I want to book a suite, I'll first look at the rates to book directly and then see what happens when I book the member rate on a base room.

Sounds like it's just as much a way of losing revenue as making revenue.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Where are you logging in to see the upgrade upsell?

World of hyatt account.

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy

It's strange to offer them like this, though (that is, confirmable at rates far less than the spread at booking) if the upgrades are being offered even on non-prepaid bookings. .
Yes mine was a non-prepaid booking. Just a regular WOH booking with the normal 48hr cancellation
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think it's inevitable... airlines and hotels are branches of the same tree. For now, Hyatt is probably testing and we're at the beginning. As I said in another post, enjoy the upgrade perks while they last... I certainly will!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:48 pm

All hotels look to maximise revenue It's no different to offering cash at check in for a better room.
This is a little different because they will have less inventory for upgrades, which are often assigned before we arrive...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:32 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

This is a little different because they will have less inventory for upgrades, which are often assigned before we arrive...
And you would lose your upgrade, regardless, if a guest offered cash in your place.

You never know if you've been preupgraded in advance with Hyatt's app, unlike other chains. And even then a Mariott or Hilton guest pre-upgraded would also be downgraded in the same scenario.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:58 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
that's ok, nothing different from what airlines do
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I wish Hyatt would stop selling suites altogether so that my upgrade could clear.
caliform likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I actually usually see it in the app, not the website. Don't see the issue, even as a Globalist. They sell suites. That's what they do, right?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:26 pm

With airlines you can get an idea of the odds of getting an upgrade, based on the availability of fare classes. Then you can make a decision on upgrading in advance.
With hotels, there's no visibility of how many suites are available.
It's definitely a devaluation of Globalist. In November I'll have a set of DSUs expiring unused (I'll get more when I requalify next Wednesday). But now I'll probably start using them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.