FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Eliza Jane (Unbound Collection, New Orleans) - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1929380-eliza-jane-unbound-collection-new-orleans-master-thread.html)

59Impala Mar 12, 2023 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by guear (Post 35081997)
Does anyone know if you get charged with the destination fee if you book using points or certificate? I am contemplating between this and Hyatt Centric. I am only explorist, so I probably won't get any upgrade.

on free nights there are no additional fees, no taxes, no destination/resort fee.

Resort Fees Benefit

Enjoy waived resort fees at participating locationsMember
Waived on Free Night AwardsDiscoverist
Waived on Free Night AwardsExplorist
Waived on Free Night AwardsGlobalist
Waived on Eligible Rates & Free Night Awards
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ts.html#charts

DELee Mar 12, 2023 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by guear (Post 35081997)
Does anyone know if you get charged with the destination fee if you book using points or certificate? I am contemplating between this and Hyatt Centric. I am only explorist, so I probably won't get any upgrade.

As 59Impala noted, no fee on points/award stays.

David

Fly_the_corporate_skies Apr 23, 2023 8:30 am

Recently had a several night stay as a globalist.

The assessments of the rooms above are spot on - interior rooms are depressing no matter how they dress them up in photos. Similar issues with AC as other posters.

I’d suggest spending your time in the bar area or outdoors if you end up in those rooms. Outdoor patio is very nice but does have loud roar of AC.

Couvant is an absolute let down. They are so short staffed you won’t get seated in a restaurant with only 5 of 50 tables filled. And the $25 credit is insufficient especially with their more expensive weekend brunch menu.

I would probably try the Hyatt Centric next time just to see something different - or go to a Marriott, FS, Etc.

redblaze Apr 25, 2023 10:42 pm

I'm gonna chime in even though it's a bit late. I stayed at Eliza Jane during Christmas time of last year, using points as Globalist. The experience was just okay. First night I paid $20 to be upgraded to a street view suite, which was a very bad decision because it was super noisy in early morning. So I moved to a windowless suite from 2nd night. It was actually not bad because of being super quiet.

The breakfast was fine, $25/person breakfast credit for my wife and me is sufficient.

The valet parking definitely is not ideal meaning a lot of waiting. But I assume that is a normal thing in downtown NOLA.

VegasGambler Apr 25, 2023 11:02 pm

I'm not sure if the $25 thing is a new policy -- I stayed there last year and I had no issues.

My approach here is to just order the entree, juice, and coffee. If there is an additional charge I'll mention it to FD once. .If they don't fix it I'll just email my concierge and say that I was charged for breakfast and the FD wasn't able to fix it. They will fix it. Just send the email from the Uber on the way to the airport or whatever and mention in the email that you just checked out.

bsdstone Nov 19, 2023 8:34 pm

First stay here last week. Stayed two nights as explorist. I did the digital key and had zero interaction with the front desk.
Ordered room service, which was simple wings and a diet pepsi. Fairly priced at around $25 delivered.
Had a drink at the bar and service was attentive and drinks fairly priced.
As mentioned previously, this is a great location. Near all the action, but a quick walk away to it being quiet.
My rooms was pretty spacious compared to what I expected. Everything was in working order.
Once word of caution is the "desk" is basically an extension of the dresser with a stool for a chair. Not ideal if you have work to do in the room.

Would definitely stay here again

notquiteaff Jan 25, 2024 11:07 am

Looks like this property was caught charging an undisclosed 1.85% credit card surcharge to “guests” choosing to pay for their stay with credit cards (who doesn’t?).

https://viewfromthewing.com/shameful...th-hyatt-visa/

Supposedly Hyatt put a stop to that when they were made aware of it, but I suspect this property will find other “creative” ways to scam their “guests”. I often don't agree with gleff, but this is shameful.

ElevatorEnthusiast Jan 25, 2024 11:26 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 35941609)
Looks like this property was caught charging an undisclosed 1.85% credit card surcharge to “guests” choosing to pay for their stay with credit cards (who doesn’t?).

https://viewfromthewing.com/shameful...th-hyatt-visa/

Supposedly Hyatt put a stop to that when they were made aware of it, but I suspect this property will find other “creative” ways to scam their “guests”. I often don't agree with gleff, but this is shameful.

Seriously, how bad can this property get? Please deflag this awful prison already, Hyatt. It puts a stain on your reputation.

theshaun Jan 25, 2024 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast (Post 35941674)
Seriously, how bad can this property get? Please deflag this awful prison already, Hyatt. It puts a stain on your reputation.

Is there a change in legislation in the US or LA? Though this should be disclosed regardless.

In Canada it's now permitted for businesses to pass on the surcharge as a line item, even though, I'm certain most companies had it baked in to their pricing already.

bsdstone Jan 25, 2024 8:08 pm

I just checked my stay from November...no surcharge on my corporate Amex

notquiteaff Jan 25, 2024 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun (Post 35942793)
Is there a change in legislation in the US or LA? Though this should be disclosed regardless.

In Canada it's now permitted for businesses to pass on the surcharge as a line item, even though, I'm certain most companies had it baked in to their pricing already.

General discussion about credit card surcharges (and what is legal and what not) can be found in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...rging-usa.html

Gberg Jan 31, 2024 4:50 pm

Just stayed and hit with the credit card fee.
Got refunded as not disclosed anywhere but was advised: “But for your information for your next visit, the hotel implemented the credit card fee this 2024 and this is fee for everyone.”

scubadu Feb 1, 2024 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Gberg (Post 35959163)
Got refunded as not disclosed anywhere but was advised: “But for your information for your next visit, the hotel implemented the credit card fee this 2024 and this is fee for everyone.”

This is incredibly disappointing, but sadly, I fear we are going to begin to see this more and more. There seems to be a building wave of resistance from businesses to credit card fees.

I would think that Hyatt (corporate) would not like this relative to their own Chase/Hyatt credit cards though.

Regards

ElevatorEnthusiast Feb 1, 2024 6:59 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 35960435)
This is incredibly disappointing, but sadly, I fear we are going to begin to see this more and more. There seems to be a building wave of resistance from businesses to credit card fees.

I would think that Hyatt (corporate) would not like this relative to their own Chase/Hyatt credit cards though.

Regards

Theoretically, Marriott banned hotels from charging credit card surcharges in the US and Mexico back in 2021 - knock on wood, I haven't seen one yet, despite the legislation change in Canada last year (I also hadn't seen adoption of surcharges at other businesses in Canada last year, either).

Regardless, until Hyatt lets this property disclose this fee in the booking summary, it's a non-disclosed fee that seems like it would be ripe for front desk fights and demanded refunds.

Again, this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. It should be deflagged and dragged into the depths of obscurity. I have never encountered such hostility from hotel staff.

notquiteaff Feb 1, 2024 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gberg (Post 35959163)

I hope you filed a complaint with Hyatt.

According to Gary:

I flagged this to to Hyatt for their take on whether this is consistent with its brand standards and other rules? If not, whether the hotel will refund everyone that’s been improperly charged? And if it is (ouch) then doesn’t the fee at least need to be disclosed to guests in advance when booking?

In under 48 hours they let me know that “We have addressed this issue with the hotel and they should cease the implementation of this extra charge.” I am still waiting to learn, however, whether customers that the hotel has stolen from over the past couple of weeks while this charge was in place will be refunded.