Print Wikipost

Credit card surcharging in the USA.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum

I was watching YouTube and found a video talking about Walmart's new EV charging network:

Based on the photos of the one station in TX that the creator talks about, it seems that Walmart is still heavily encouraging use of their app (i.e. by offering free charging if you use it):

Presumably there's another way to activate them if you don't want to use their app, but it's not immediately obvious how (maybe another app?) Unfortunately, this doesn't help with the impression that Walmart never wants to support NFC in any form.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:02 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
I was watching YouTube and found a video talking about Walmart's new EV charging network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0cBSYQK-0Y

Based on the photos of the one station in TX that the creator talks about, it seems that Walmart is still heavily encouraging use of their app (i.e. by offering free charging if you use it):

Presumably there's another way to activate them if you don't want to use their app, but it's not immediately obvious how (maybe another app?) Unfortunately, this doesn't help with the impression that Walmart never wants to support NFC in any form.
Of course Walmart EV Chargers would only accept Walmart Pay. Of course!

That being said, I feel like contactless is definitely here to stay. Just at an Einstein bagels, both PIN pads had the chip and swipe slots taped over, and they put a handwritten sign saying "Tap ONLY!" First time in my life seeing THIS!
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015

That being said, I feel like contactless is definitely here to stay. Just at an Einstein bagels, both PIN pads had the chip and swipe slots taped over, and they put a handwritten sign saying "Tap ONLY!" First time in my life seeing THIS!
On second look, those actually look like ChargePoint chargers. If they're anything like the ones I've used before, there's an NFC reader underneath the sticker with the QR code (so at least they wouldn't need to rip out the chargers* and install different ones if they ever change their mind on contactless).

* Though they may want to anyway given that the industry seems to be moving towards 350 kW+ models to enable charging at speeds close to how long it takes to fill up a gasoline/diesel car.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:00 pm

Just at an Einstein bagels, both PIN pads had the chip and swipe slots taped over, and they put a handwritten sign saying "Tap ONLY!" First time in my life seeing THIS!
Perhaps someone dumped coffee on both machines, and only the NFC radio is still working?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Just at an Einstein bagels, both PIN pads had the chip and swipe slots taped over, and they put a handwritten sign saying "Tap ONLY!" First time in my life seeing THIS!
I had this happen at a Perkins restaurant the other day also.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Perhaps someone dumped coffee on both machines, and only the NFC radio is still working?
I’ve been to a couple Walmart locations recently where the chip reader isn’t working. It will error every time even trying different cards. It usually lets you swipe after it errors 3 times in a row but there have also been skimmers at Walmart self checkouts lately, so I definitely wasn’t doing that.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bc097
I’ve been to a couple Walmart locations recently where the chip reader isn’t working. It will error every time even trying different cards. It usually lets you swipe after it errors 3 times in a row but there have also been skimmers at Walmart self checkouts lately, so I definitely wasn’t doing that.
Good point on skimmers. Contactless is a great way to avoid that issue. I definitely favor stores that have it enabled.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:25 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum

I closed the previous thread: Surging credit surcharges in the US (2019 - 2023)?

I did not copy the Wikipost which was last updated in 2022. Please click the Alert icon in the lower left corner of this post to volunteer to refresh the Wikipost, and we will move a copy into this thread's Wikipost.
pudgym29 and gaobest like this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 3, 2024 at 2:33 pm
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Assesssed 3% today by auto mechanic and locksmith. Completely off the rails now. This will do more to kill credit card use than anything else.

wonder what will happen when IRS calculates increased loss due to tax evasion from unreported cash payments?
pudgym29 and gaobest like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Completely off the rails now. This will do more to kill credit card use than anything else.
It'll kill debit card use, too, unless the networks strictly enforce the "no surcharges for debit" rule. Though considering how much stores dislike Visa and MC in general, that might be an acceptable result for them.

wonder what will happen when IRS calculates increased loss due to tax evasion from unreported cash payments?
While there is definitely tax evasion going on, I don't think it'll be that much more if everyone goes back to cash. After all, a lot of the places that traditionally didn't take cards in the past (e.g. tradespeople) were/are still fine with other payment methods that have a paper trail (e.g. checks).
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
After all, a lot of the places that traditionally didn't take cards in the past...
In most cases, the places I see surcharging now were cash only previously. The few places which have historically accepted cards but later imposed a surcharge are for the most part sit down restaurants.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Majuki
In most cases, the places I see surcharging now were cash only previously. The few places which have historically accepted cards but later imposed a surcharge are for the most part sit down restaurants.
the places I see surcharging are 100% small biz merchants that have always accepted credit cards. It’s simply a stealth 3% price hike (well not stealth but most of us don’t carry huge wads of cash as a contingent payment form). Maybe if they get burned by bad check they will reverse course but I doubt it.

Only 1 restaurant in the 100s I’ve visited the past year and they always had a surchaege
gaobest and Majuki like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Assesssed 3% today by auto mechanic and locksmith. Completely off the rails now. This will do more to kill credit card use than anything else.

surely they’ll accept checks. The big issue is when they deal with clients with bouncing checks.

i love my mechanic and will use a check if needed. I already use cash for the dry cleaners who only do cash & check!
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
The big issue is when they deal with clients with bouncing checks.
In many/most states, passing bad checks is a criminal offense, so I suspect that'll dissuade most. Some businesses also have other options for collection (such as property liens in the case of tradespeople), even if it takes a while to see anything from those.

Failing that, some of the higher risk businesses will probably go to requiring cashier's checks or money orders before ending CC surcharging.
gaobest likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:13 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor

The point will come Wal Mart will have to enable Contactless in the US. I have no idea what they are doing and why they are clinging to this Wal Mart Pay for dear life.

I quit using Wal Mart Pay due to the receipt check issue at the exit. While I do not submit to the receipt check unless I have unbagged merchandise in accordance with Wal Mart policy (policy being only transactions with unbagged merchandise are subject to receipt check), I do like to have a paper receipt and there is no way I am handing my phone to the Wal Mart door greeter to figure out the receipt on the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.