Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Eliza Jane (Unbound Collection, New Orleans) - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

I had a two-night stay at the Eliza Jane this week and thought I'd post a review. The previous thread apparently disappeared so I'm starting a new one.

I booked a $125/night Prive rate using Cityguy1 here on FT. The rate included breakfast and a $50 credit (per stay), which we spent at the bar on four cocktails (~$10-12 each plus tax and tip).

Location: The hotel is a very short walk from the French Quarter and is well-situated between the Bon Ton Cafe (to the south) and the Creole House (to the north) on Magazine Street. We ate at both (soft shell crabs were excellent at Bon Ton, oysters were great at Creole House) as well as at Toula's (duck and andouille gumbo) and Oceana Grill (try the seafood gumbo, red beans and rice, and alligator bites).

Arrival: We ubered from the airport and pulled up at around 3:30 p.m. to find an unmanned valet stand, no one at the door, and, for the moment, no one inside. Someone came to the desk within a minute of our arrival, but it was strange to find no one there at first. Admittedly, there was risk of a tropical storm coming through on Tuesday (it missed), so a number of restaurants were on thinner staff or closing early. We didn't have much luggage, so it was not a big deal to bring our own bags in.

Check-in: The agent tapped a bit and then picked up the phone to call the manager, mentioned it was a Globalist, said my name, then hung up and said to me that the manager would be right down. The GM then came down, introduced himself, chatted with us for a few minutes, and gave his card. The agent then gave me our keys to room 404, a Magazine View King suite. This was a complimentary upgrade granted in response to Cityguy1's request. Occupancy was very low, both because it was low season midweek and because of the possible weather, but the property confirmed the upgrade at booking before the weather was a known factor, which was nice. The suite only goes for $50/night more than a base room, and I'd recommend booking it given the apparent small size of the base rooms and given the nice bright view you get from the window of the bedroom. Oddly, the check-in agent didn't say anything about Globalist benefits, breakfast, check-out time, water, etc. Maybe they don't get many Globalists. Voss water was complimentary in the room (two 11-ounce plastic bottles) and more were brought to our room upon request without charge (we probably consumed a total of 8 bottles).

Hard Product: Beautiful. Really really cool. The decor is so well thought out. New Orleans themed shower curtains even. There is also tons of seating area, both in the bar area and in an adjacent indoor living room type area, as well as in the large multi-room outdoor courtyard with fans and furniture. The bed is great, the bathroom has good fixtures (though water pressure could be better) and cold A/C. Wife liked the high-end hair dryer and the CO Bigelow amenities.

Soft Product: Kind of lackluster. Interactions with staff were just a little weird, like with the check-in agent not really saying anything to welcome us (I'm not even sure he said anything at all before the phone call). I called for housekeeping on day 2 around 1 p.m. and was told "okay, but just so you know housekeeping is going to be light because we're short staffed today." (This was surprising, since the storm was going to hit the night before if at all, and it missed entirely. It was also immaterial, because we ended up returning to what appeared to be a very well done full housekeeping job.) We stopped by the bar and met some of the other guests (Australians), and the bartender was ostensibly friendly but then didn't do very well at ordinary conversation. A quick example, when I noticed that that "Green Ghost" cocktail had "ancho" in it, and I was curious whether it was made with an ancho pepper liqueur like Ancho Reyes or instead with actual peppers:

Me: So, what provides the ancho in the Green Ghost, is it a liqueuer like ancho reyes?
Her: What?
Me: [repeat]
Her: Well, ancho is a chili pepper. It's a dried chili pepper.
Me: Um, yeah, but I was just wondering how that gets into this drink? Like, are you using actual chili peppers? Or one of those bottles up there? [I look to the bar, so does she. I then happen to spot a bottle of ancho reyes in the back] Like that! There it is!
Her: Oh, yeah, I think this is the only ancho liqueur there is. [She then puts the bottle on the bar top in front of me, then walks away to get supplies to start making our drinks]
Me: [sigh]
Just a little weird. No big deal, people are quirky. But it was like everyone here (except the manager who seemed like a stellar GM) had that sort of oddity. Anyhow, the cocktails were great. I was mostly just curious because I'm a huge Ancho Reyes fan (it's my go-to at Centurion PHL) but I felt like I was speaking Martian or something.

Food: Didn't get to try it. Stayed out late both nights (Paul Simon concert was excellent on Wednesday) and overslept breakfast. I did snap some pictures of the sparse in-room menu, and I'm not sure whether there is more than that available in the restaurant... I would assume so? Ample local food off premises anyhow, which wife wanted to try all of, so no harm done missing out on Couvant.

Standouts: When we came back on the afternoon of day 2, we had full housekeeping, as mentioned above. We also had a really nice note from the GM and a very thoughful amenity/gift bag that included a coffee mug and a candle (of the same scent used in the lobby -- green tea and peony), plus another gift bag inside (apparently this one) that contained some chicory coffee, a praline, and various beads and necklaces -- a very NOLA gift. Indeed, when we ran into the GM another time, remembered that we were going to the concert, etc. -- little things that stand out as reflecting true care.

Actual negatives: Our key didn't work when we came back around 4 p.m. on day 2 (i.e., the day before checkout, not the day of checkout). This annoyed me because I had to use the bathroom, and because, due to the hotel layout, our room was quite a hike from the front desk. I went back to the front desk and the agent made new keys, but when I asked what had happened to the first one, she kind of just shrugged and said it was probably entered wrong. I asked if she could figure it out and follow up with me, she said yes, but (unsurprisingly, unfortunately) she didn't. Also at check-out, the agent asked if she could email my folio in a tone that sort of implied it was my only option. I said sure, will it come right now? She said yes. But (unsurprisingly, unfortunately) it didn't. So I called, but it took a ten minute hold before I got the folio. Little annoyances.

Other: Wifi speed was so-so, about 7 mbps up/down according to speed test but seemed to vary a bit. Gym was nice, empty when I used it. Damp cold towels in a fridge.

Overall: Four-star property with five-star hard product (and location!) and three-star service. At $125/night, a bargain. At the $300+/night it's listed for in March (and not even on Mardi Gras), one would expect less aloof service, probably. But I'd probably come back either way.

Pictures below, feel free to ask questions.

Entrance:

Courtyard:

Fourth Floor:

Bar Area:

Bar Area:

Elevator Area:

Gift Amenity Bag:

Bathroom:

Magazine Street View from Suite:

Bedroom:

Living Room of Suite:

Living Room of Suite:

Gym Entrance:

Gym:

In-Room Breakfast Menu:

In-Room All Day Menu:
Skink, DCADavis and danbnash like this.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Sep 7, 2018 at 3:06 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Very comprehensive write up with pics. That's one small bedroom though!
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Aventine
That's one small bedroom though!
That's exactly what I thought when I got to that picture!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JetBlue Mosaic
Anyone visited this property recently? Will be heading down in three weeks and was curious!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:09 pm

I am going next Thursday on a prive rate.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsdr
Anyone visited this property recently? Will be heading down in three weeks and was curious!
Regular to NOLA, have stayed here, and am not a huge fan of it... although I recognize many will probably love it.

Here's what I don't like (and my suggestions):

1. Many rooms with NO OUTSIDE WINDOWS whatsoever. Windows instead face inwards into a dimly lit interior atrium. No natural light whatsoever in many of these rooms. Reminds me of an "inside cabin" on a cruise ship. Bedroom area in many "suites" is literally a closet-like chamber with not a single window (parlor area of suites have a window into the aforementioned atrium). Suggestion: Request a room facing Magazine Street and NOT the interior Atrium.

2. On a busy road with NO Porte Cochere (driveway). You'll probably be honked at as you quickly try to exit your vehicle, handover to valet, pull your bags, etc., literally on the street in front of the hotel. Suggestion: Just be ready.

3. Many rooms are really TINY - I'm guessing under 200 sq ft. It's a historical building and I guess that's part of the "charm." Suggestion: Ask for a larger room, again there are some nice ones with very high ceilings facing Magazine Street.

4. There is a noise issue that management is well aware of and related to the construction. In one room I could hear (clearly) soft talking in the adjacent room. This problem exists in many rooms as I heard others complaining about at the front desk, manager said they are "aware and working on it."

5. The location is OK, BUT if your a Hyatt loyalist, the Centric is better located. Centric sits right on the edge of the French Quarter and is really close and convenient to everything you'd ever want to walk to... Eliza Jane isn't bad but isn't as good as Centric.

6. No pool (the ripped it out during the renovation that preceded opening). I'm comparing to the Centric again which has a lovely pool and courtyard w/bar area. Too cold to use it this time of year, anyway, but wonderful when it's hot.

Eliza Jane IS a lovely building that will remind you of an Andaz in terms of style. The remodel they did was extensive and the details are very exquisite. Staff is decent (run by same people who run Centric - both are franchises, so NOT Hyatt employees) but not as good as Hyatt corporate management (Hyatt employees) in my opinion. Everything is new and shiny, but I still prefer the Centric (which could use a renovation itself and will be spectacular if they remodel it to the same level as Eliza)...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The cinderblock wall in the tiny bedroom seemed grim. Surprised at the positive hard product comments given the pictures of the bedroom.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
The cinderblock wall in the tiny bedroom seemed grim. Surprised at the positive hard product comments given the pictures of the bedroom.
Grim is a bit extreme... but dark, yes. I’ve seen three rooms there and one was shoebox tiny, the next (suite) very very dark, and third was pretty awesome (high ceilings, big window, good size...)

I think the key is to face magazine street....

Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Regular to NOLA, have stayed here, and am not a huge fan of it... although I recognize many will probably love it.

Here's what I don't like (and my suggestions):

1. Many rooms with NO OUTSIDE WINDOWS whatsoever. Windows instead face inwards into a dimly lit interior atrium. No natural light whatsoever in many of these rooms. Reminds me of an "inside cabin" on a cruise ship. Bedroom area in many "suites" is literally a closet-like chamber with not a single window (parlor area of suites have a window into the aforementioned atrium). Suggestion: Request a room facing Magazine Street and NOT the interior Atrium.

2. On a busy road with NO Porte Cochere (driveway). You'll probably be honked at as you quickly try to exit your vehicle, handover to valet, pull your bags, etc., literally on the street in front of the hotel. Suggestion: Just be ready.

3. Many rooms are really TINY - I'm guessing under 200 sq ft. It's a historical building and I guess that's part of the "charm." Suggestion: Ask for a larger room, again there are some nice ones with very high ceilings facing Magazine Street.

4. There is a noise issue that management is well aware of and related to the construction. In one room I could hear (clearly) soft talking in the adjacent room. This problem exists in many rooms as I heard others complaining about at the front desk, manager said they are "aware and working on it."

5. The location is OK, BUT if your a Hyatt loyalist, the Centric is better located. Centric sits right on the edge of the French Quarter and is really close and convenient to everything you'd ever want to walk to... Eliza Jane isn't bad but isn't as good as Centric.

6. No pool (the ripped it out during the renovation that preceded opening). I'm comparing to the Centric again which has a lovely pool and courtyard w/bar area. Too cold to use it this time of year, anyway, but wonderful when it's hot.

Eliza Jane IS a lovely building that will remind you of an Andaz in terms of style. The remodel they did was extensive and the details are very exquisite. Staff is decent (run by same people who run Centric - both are franchises, so NOT Hyatt employees) but not as good as Hyatt corporate management (Hyatt employees) in my opinion. Everything is new and shiny, but I still prefer the Centric (which could use a renovation itself and will be spectacular if they remodel it to the same level as Eliza)...
Thanks for your response. I booked a few nights here, and a few nights at the Centric, so definitely curious to see which I prefer. Overall I was struck with the cool design of the Eliza Jane, but if rooms are dark/grim and small, would certainly affect the overall impression. Will report back with a review.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Keep in mind that the picture captioned "Magazine Street View from Suite" above (with the view of the Le Meridien and the yellow historic trade building) is the view from the cinderblock-walled bedroom in the picture immediately beneath it... it's just that with the curtains closed, it gets pretty dark (with the curtains open, however, it was hard to take a decent picture of the bedroom). I agree with lighthouse206 to avoid any interior-facing room and to request something facing Magazine Street -- the bedroom was small, sure, but with the curtains open it was a nice view in the morning.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:10 pm

Anyone know what the base room is? Trying to use Hyatt certs... For my dates I see "one king bed" as the cheapest room offered at revenue rates, but nothing available with points bookings.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ECR12
Anyone know what the base room is? Trying to use Hyatt certs... For my dates I see "one king bed" as the cheapest room offered at revenue rates, but nothing available with points bookings.
Looks like One Queen.

hyatt.com is your friend... :-)
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Looks like One Queen.

hyatt.com is your friend... :-)
My friend Hyatt.com allowed me to book a "one king bed" room on points today, so there are king bed rooms included in the award inventory. I was also given the option of booking a two queen room.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:52 pm

Has anyone stayed since COVID? What are they doing for breakfast?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:20 pm

Havent stayed since covid but Eliza Jane's room is so small compared to Centric. Centric is much better location too. Only reason to stay here is if you need that Unbound brand, otherwise Centric wins in every aspect. Food in NOLA is so good breakfast at hotel is almost always an inferior choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.