Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Extending expiration on free hyatt nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP

Is this still possible?

Last summer my wife and I both applied for the very last 2 free night Chase Hyatt card promotions before they changed it to 50K points or whatever. We intended to use the 4 nights at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun or Jamaica this summer - however, my job ended and we had to move to another state for work so we haven't been able to use the nights yet - moving day is next Sunday.

Anyway, the 2 nights on my card expire Sept 19, my plan was to try to book the Zilara sometime for early Sept if possible before that date, but I just noticed that my wife's 2 nights expire Aug 11. She must have completed the min spend earlier than I did since we applied for the cards on the same date.

If she and I were to call reservations before Aug 11 to try to book the 4 free nights in early Sept, is there any chance they would still let her use her nights a month after the expiration date to line up with mine?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a good chance. Usually fine within one month if you actually book a stay before expiration.

Extend Hyatt Award Free Night?
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

So I called Hyatt and they said they can't extend it but to call Chase. Chase couldn't help us out either...
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
I have read here about folks exchanging their free night certs that we’re about to expire for 10,000 WOH points. Not sure if that was for Hyatt awarded nights or Chase awarded nights and if status in WOH was required
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:11 pm

My two night certs are expiring in late September, from what I gathered, Hyatt will offer 20k points per expired cert. The requirement is that you have to let it expire first then reach out to them for the points. Risky, but there are many DPs conforming this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I also read you have to be gold or platinum for that to work???
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:03 pm

20k for Cat 1-7 nights, 10k for Cat 1-4 nights. If at first you don't succeed, try a different method. Twitter, facebook, call.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I ended up using one at a local Hyatt just before expiration. If it was before the change to get credit for award stays, I would have definitely let it expire and try to follow up afterwards. But I figured that was too risky when I would at least get a night credit towards re-qualification.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I also read you have to be gold or platinum for that to work???
There is no gold or platinum within the system.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:17 am

Any recent data points on this? My two nights are expiring on the 22nd
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
I called Hyatt to extend a Chase certificate a couple of days ago. She informed me that it had expired the day before, but that she could replace it with 10,000 points. I was happy to get the points - more flexibility since my travels haven't put me where the better 1-4 hotels are. Don't know if they will do anything before expiration, though.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:26 pm

Is this the category 1-4 annual FN or the one from sign on bonus?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

I have a Cat 1-4 anniversary award expiring later this month but it's letting me book a free night well into next year (past expiration). Is this normal? Is IT screwed up and the expiration is actually later than it shows? Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by slice
I have a Cat 1-4 anniversary award expiring later this month but it's letting me book a free night well into next year (past expiration). Is this normal? Is IT screwed up and the expiration is actually later than it shows? Thanks!
It will let you book it, but I'm pretty sure that they will actually pull points at the time because your cert will be expired.

Yes, their IT is lacking.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I called in just today for certificates that expired in mid-October 2018; they gave me 40k points for both certificates. I only have 9 stayed nights (so no earned status, just from the credit card). The CSA had to go get a supervisor, but the supervisor gave me the points no questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.