FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Extending expiration on free hyatt nights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1920101-extending-expiration-free-hyatt-nights.html)

bbriscoe34 Jul 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Extending expiration on free hyatt nights?

Is this still possible?

Last summer my wife and I both applied for the very last 2 free night Chase Hyatt card promotions before they changed it to 50K points or whatever. We intended to use the 4 nights at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun or Jamaica this summer - however, my job ended and we had to move to another state for work so we haven't been able to use the nights yet - moving day is next Sunday.

Anyway, the 2 nights on my card expire Sept 19, my plan was to try to book the Zilara sometime for early Sept if possible before that date, but I just noticed that my wife's 2 nights expire Aug 11. She must have completed the min spend earlier than I did since we applied for the cards on the same date.

If she and I were to call reservations before Aug 11 to try to book the 4 free nights in early Sept, is there any chance they would still let her use her nights a month after the expiration date to line up with mine?

TerryK Jul 16, 2018 6:03 am

There is a good chance. Usually fine within one month if you actually book a stay before expiration.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ree-night.html

bbriscoe34 Jul 28, 2018 9:32 pm

So I called Hyatt and they said they can't extend it but to call Chase. Chase couldn't help us out either...

martinplas Jul 29, 2018 7:18 am

I have read here about folks exchanging their free night certs that we’re about to expire for 10,000 WOH points. Not sure if that was for Hyatt awarded nights or Chase awarded nights and if status in WOH was required

BaconSF Jul 29, 2018 11:11 pm

My two night certs are expiring in late September, from what I gathered, Hyatt will offer 20k points per expired cert. The requirement is that you have to let it expire first then reach out to them for the points. Risky, but there are many DPs conforming this.

bbriscoe34 Aug 1, 2018 8:11 am

I also read you have to be gold or platinum for that to work???

aradisc Aug 2, 2018 5:03 pm

20k for Cat 1-7 nights, 10k for Cat 1-4 nights. If at first you don't succeed, try a different method. Twitter, facebook, call.

econ Aug 5, 2018 7:33 pm

I ended up using one at a local Hyatt just before expiration. If it was before the change to get credit for award stays, I would have definitely let it expire and try to follow up afterwards. But I figured that was too risky when I would at least get a night credit towards re-qualification.

dsquared37 Aug 5, 2018 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 30035241)
I also read you have to be gold or platinum for that to work???

There is no gold or platinum within the system.

BaconSF Sep 16, 2018 1:17 am

Any recent data points on this? My two nights are expiring on the 22nd

travelerp Sep 17, 2018 10:06 pm

I called Hyatt to extend a Chase certificate a couple of days ago. She informed me that it had expired the day before, but that she could replace it with 10,000 points. I was happy to get the points - more flexibility since my travels haven't put me where the better 1-4 hotels are. Don't know if they will do anything before expiration, though.

skipss Sep 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Is this the category 1-4 annual FN or the one from sign on bonus?

slice Dec 3, 2018 2:29 pm

I have a Cat 1-4 anniversary award expiring later this month but it's letting me book a free night well into next year (past expiration). Is this normal? Is IT screwed up and the expiration is actually later than it shows? Thanks!

jameswes Dec 3, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by slice (Post 30495074)
I have a Cat 1-4 anniversary award expiring later this month but it's letting me book a free night well into next year (past expiration). Is this normal? Is IT screwed up and the expiration is actually later than it shows? Thanks!

It will let you book it, but I'm pretty sure that they will actually pull points at the time because your cert will be expired.

Yes, their IT is lacking.

morphogencc Jan 12, 2019 2:11 pm

I called in just today for certificates that expired in mid-October 2018; they gave me 40k points for both certificates. I only have 9 stayed nights (so no earned status, just from the credit card). The CSA had to go get a supervisor, but the supervisor gave me the points no questions asked.

VegasGambler Jan 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by morphogencc (Post 30646320)
I called in just today for certificates that expired in mid-October 2018; they gave me 40k points for both certificates. I only have 9 stayed nights (so no earned status, just from the credit card). The CSA had to go get a supervisor, but the supervisor gave me the points no questions asked.

were these cat 1-4 certs or 1-7?

morphogencc Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30646349)
were these cat 1-4 certs or 1-7?

Cat 1-7; the two certs I got as a sign-up bonus for the credit card.

BaconSF Jan 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by morphogencc (Post 30647143)
Cat 1-7; the two certs I got as a sign-up bonus for the credit card.

I let mine expire and contacted Hyatt Globalist concierge and was given 40k total for 2 nights

IDontWearSocks Jan 12, 2019 8:34 pm

I had a Cat 1-4 cert expire a few months ago. I contacted my WoH Concierge and she credited me 10k points. Seemed reasonable....more flexibility anyway.

mster Jan 28, 2019 9:33 pm

-----

suite2suite Jan 29, 2019 4:01 pm

I have a One Night Award (Category 1-7) for reaching Globalist Status which will expire on March 22, 2019 and
I wanted to use this award at Park Hyatt Tokyo (Category 7) in the first half of May.

I have checked with Hyatt and there is nothing in the rules that would prevent a Globalist from exchanging his/her Award with another Globalist’s Award that expires at a later date. (The only caveat is that Hyatt would not be responsible in case of fraud.)

If someone has a similar award (Category 1-7) which they planned on using before March 22 and which expires after May 15, 2019 I would be willing to work out some sort of an exchange and help in the future as I will be requalifying early again.

Please let me know or send me a private message. Thanks

oneworld82 Feb 8, 2019 3:11 am

Hi,

my chase card free night expires in 3 days. I could use it for a staycation this weekend but I'd rather get 10k points at this point... I have no status through stay. Will the points be awarded after expiration? I called for an extension but the agent said no-no. I had same issue last year and I did receive points. thanks

mnredfox Feb 9, 2019 8:29 am

Burn it, without status I doubt you’d get the points. L

oldmanbob Feb 11, 2019 10:39 am

My free night expired yesterday. I called today and spoke with a very nice rep, but she stated the rule changed in Nov 2018 and they no longer can award points or date extension, and that is was a Chase decision, not Hyatts'. I had managed to get a 10K courtesy a year ago the last time my cert expired. so this year, I called about 3 weeks ago and the rep then said to wait until the cert expired and call back. I wish she had told me that the rule changed last year. None the less, today, after being told no extension and that they were aware I had got the 10K last year, they could do nothing for me. So, I asked to speak with a supervisor. I started off by telling the supe that even though I did not get what I had asked for that the rep I just spoke with was very kind and professional and represented Hyatt very well. After some quick conversation, she said she could not extend the date but as a last time, one time courtesy, and she was pleasantry firm in telling me this IS the last time, she did provide 10K courtesy points saying she could do that because I had spoke with someone a few weeks ago who advised me incorrectly to call back. Low and behold, 5 or 6 minute call and I got 10K so I am happy.

iflyjetz Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 30765063)
My free night expired yesterday. I called today and spoke with a very nice rep, but she stated the rule changed in Nov 2018 and they no longer can award points or date extension, and that is was a Chase decision, not Hyatts'.

The rules always seem to change - and that goes for all loyalty programs, hotel or airline.

A few years ago, it was no problem at all to extend a certificate with Hyatt. That changed to a hard no, and now it sounds like it's changed at least twice since the last time I looked at it.

HIFlya Feb 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 30765063)
My free night expired yesterday. I called today and spoke with a very nice rep, but she stated the rule changed in Nov 2018 and they no longer can award points or date extension, and that is was a Chase decision, not Hyatts'. I had managed to get a 10K courtesy a year ago the last time my cert expired. so this year, I called about 3 weeks ago and the rep then said to wait until the cert expired and call back. I wish she had told me that the rule changed last year. None the less, today, after being told no extension and that they were aware I had got the 10K last year, they could do nothing for me. So, I asked to speak with a supervisor. I started off by telling the supe that even though I did not get what I had asked for that the rep I just spoke with was very kind and professional and represented Hyatt very well. After some quick conversation, she said she could not extend the date but as a last time, one time courtesy, and she was pleasantry firm in telling me this IS the last time, she did provide 10K courtesy points saying she could do that because I had spoke with someone a few weeks ago who advised me incorrectly to call back. Low and behold, 5 or 6 minute call and I got 10K so I am happy.

Weird that they would say the rule changed in November 2018 since DPs here show people getting points credit as recently as January 2019.

VegasGambler Feb 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 30770196)
Weird that they would say the rule changed in November 2018 since DPs here show people getting points credit as recently as January 2019.

I think that they seem to let Globalists get away with it, but no one else.

HIFlya Feb 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30770258)
I think that they seem to let Globalists get away with it, but no one else.

Ahh...good to know. I doubt I will have an issue with it since with a family, staying at a HP and HH is actually preferable. But it is a good lesson for me personally to use ASAP rather than wait for the best possible redemption.

VegasGambler Feb 12, 2019 3:33 pm

It's also unpublished so no guarantees. I wouldn't count on it, but it's definitely worth a shot if you don't have a chance to use it.

mirob Apr 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Still possible as of today

Called to ask about an expired Cat 1-4 Chase free night certificate and was told this isn't possible since it's a Chase certificate (and not their own certificate) but later asked for points courtesy, was transferred to the manager and they were happy to issue this one-time courtesy credit of 10,000 points.

It used to be their policy but is no longer, so the managers are nice to do this credit as a one-time point courtesy. It looks like it will work for most of 2019.

VegasGambler Apr 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by mirob (Post 31034140)
Called to ask about an expired Cat 1-4 Chase free night certificate and was told this isn't possible since it's a Chase certificate (and not their own certificate) but later asked for points courtesy, was transferred to the manager and they were happy to issue this one-time courtesy credit of 10,000 points.

It used to be their policy but is no longer, so the managers are nice to do this credit as a one-time point courtesy. It looks like it will work for most of 2019.

Are you globalist?

Data points suggest that they will usually do it for globalists but not for anyone else (maybe you will very rarely find someone to do it for you as a non-globalist)

I'm guessing that doing it for globalists is an unpublished policy, but it's hard to be sure. So, there is always a risk.

WantOnlinePoker May 8, 2019 7:35 pm

I have a Cat 1-4 expiring on Mon and don't think I can use it (kicking myself for paying cash at a Cat 4 in Jan). Is it better to just mattress run with it for 1 qualifying night at the local HP (Cat 3) or let it expire and count on the courtesy points afterward? I'm a Globalist lite if that might affect my chances of the courtesy.

mnredfox May 8, 2019 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker (Post 31081599)
I have a Cat 1-4 expiring on Mon and don't think I can use it (kicking myself for paying cash at a Cat 4 in Jan). Is it better to just mattress run with it for 1 qualifying night at the local HP (Cat 3) or let it expire and count on the courtesy points afterward? I'm a Globalist lite if that might affect my chances of the courtesy.

please try for our sake :)

joe_miami May 8, 2019 9:00 pm

They're not supposed to give points anymore. If you don't have a concierge, you're taking a risk by not using it, but unless you really need that one qualifying night, it's probably worth the gamble.

craigthemif May 9, 2019 1:06 am

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker (Post 31081599)

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31081800)
They're not supposed to give points anymore. If you don't have a concierge, you're taking a risk by not using it, but unless you really need that one qualifying night, it's probably worth the gamble.

1500 promo points for the HP mattress run as well. So 1 elite night + 1,500 points versus a lottery ticket...

joe_miami May 9, 2019 12:57 pm

Yes, but only if the person enrolled. Deadline passed long ago.

Chukiechz May 9, 2019 4:59 pm

I emailed my concierge last week and she told me to email her back after the cert expired and she would see what she could do for me. Sounded very vague, but looks to be some hope at the end of the tunnel. I have a cert expiring Saturday, and I really would just rather be at home.

nbecks May 21, 2019 10:24 pm

Still giving out 10K for 1-4 chase certs

called in tonight regarding my chase 1-4 free night that expired earlier in may. was put on hold for 10 minutes or so, rep came back and let me know she was able to get 10,000 points for me for the expired night. No mention of any new policy or it being a one time exception. Discoverer status with just 2 qualifying nights and 13K base points YTD.

shaker58 Jun 2, 2019 5:24 am

Expiring 1-7 award

Originally Posted by nbecks (Post 31126152)
called in tonight regarding my chase 1-4 free night that expired earlier in may. was put on hold for 10 minutes or so, rep came back and let me know she was able to get 10,000 points for me for the expired night. No mention of any new policy or it being a one time exception. Discoverer status with just 2 qualifying nights and 13K base points YTD.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dbe75fcbe9.png

Had a few stays this month that I could've used award but nothing cat 7 or high point so I decided to call and get 20k points. After 3 calls and twitter all saying nothing they can do I burned it at local Hyatt place. Was too tired to travel to nyc for the night and park Hyatt wasn't available.

Finance_underling Jun 12, 2019 12:03 pm

I was unsuccessful in converting my expired cat 1-4 award cert into points with Explorist hotline and Hyatt senior manager. They would not budge