Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Brand to Undergo Refresh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Brand to Undergo Refresh

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
This is probably a true statement for the United States properties, but free breakfast is not a universal guest perk outside the United States. London Heathrow Hayes, for instance.
HP Frankfurt/Airport is another example where breakfast is not included with every room rate for everyone.

Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
...as a Globalist. People without status pay 13.5 GBP, as reported by CloudCoder, consistent with my memory.
Tryue enough.

I believe they tried to value-add; having a 'continental' then asking guests to pay more for hot items.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
So, I'm not really a breakfast person at all (espressos and coffee are all I need), so watered down oatmeal, greasy sausages, and nasty waffles aren't going to convince me to stay with them. But I'm happy that WoH plans to modernize the Hyatt Places. Honestly, some of these properties are real dumps (Hyatt Place Richmond Chester and GSO, to name but two) and with a foot print 1/10 the size of Starriott, it really makes it difficult to keep staying with them. Heck, most Courtyards beat out HP these days and even some Fairfield Inns

And if you think the WoH complimentary breakfast will be hard to enforce, I'd love to see where they're going to get room for gym improvements. Some of them are like closets.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
And if you think the WoH complimentary breakfast will be hard to enforce, I'd love to see where they're going to get room for gym improvements. Some of them are like closets.
I either see closet-sized gyms or large gyms that are maybe one-third filled with equipment.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:35 am

Fair enough.

Unfortunately, many clients are in smaller cities so I'm stuck with Residence Inns, Four Points, and HPs. HPs IME are so all over the place that's it really driven me away from Hyatt. Still, total speculation, but Loews would be a nice get for Hyatt even if they do have a small foot print. I really love the Loews Ventana resort.

Also curious if Loews will maintain some sort of non-disclosed/advertised recognition program like Four Seasons...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
I can add an interesting data point to this. I looked at booking a group block for a Hyatt Place next year. The sales manager told me that because it was a group booking that breakfast would not be included unless we paid extra. The group was master bill and for a sports team. I think Hyatt is digging its own grave on this one because that group will go to another chain that doesn't gouge. I get maybe charging for people who book with OTA's, but to do that to groups where one person (a Hyatt Elite actually) is the name on the contract and no option for points earning in each individual room, that just seems unreasonable. This group would fill 20% of the property for 3 nights. You'd think they'd want to encourage that type of guaranteed business.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
... This group would fill 20% of the property for 3 nights. You'd think they'd want to encourage that type of guaranteed business.
They encourage it by offering a discount on the room rate. A lot of groups probably don't want meals included, since they might be eating at an event, etc.

The flip side to you being a Hyatt elite is that a lot of other Hyatt elites would rather the breakfast area not be overrun with rowdy youth sports teams, etc. (I'm not necessarily one of them, but that's been mentioned above and/or in other threads.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
The sales manager told me that because it was a group booking that breakfast would not be included unless we paid extra.
How much extra?

Once a year or so I have a small group (needing up to maybe 5 rooms) and the breakfast at HP is usually quite worthwhile with staying there vs competitors (plus, I can rack in the points ). I am wondering what the rules are with groups (will everyone need to get a WoH account?).

The one thing I am holding out for hope on is the upgraded furniture. The couches at HPs are absolutely, atrociously uncomfortable. If they replace it with something more comfortable, I would consider the 'refresh' a win.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:17 am

It is hilarious to me that someone would think to charge for a HP breakfast. HP breakfast is the kind of thing you maybe nibble at if you are famished as you head out to a real breakfast. It is usually varying degrees of disgusting. Charging someone is absurd. The idea that it is anything but included for everyone who stays at one is also absurd.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by antonius66
It is hilarious to me that someone would think to charge for a HP breakfast. HP breakfast is the kind of thing you maybe nibble at if you are famished as you head out to a real breakfast. It is usually varying degrees of disgusting. Charging someone is absurd. The idea that it is anything but included for everyone who stays at one is also absurd.
The breakfast food items (plus staffing) do have a cost associated with them. If there is a significant group discount for the room being offered, it might be reasonable for it to exclude the breakfast. The alternative would be to just offer a higher group rate. I assume the OP wasn't expecting to pay the regular room rate for his large block of rooms. Everything is ultimate negotiable and you get what you pay for. Just because some other chain includes the breakfast in their price doesn't mean it's necessarily a better deal.

I have seen plenty of sports teams (teenagers) happily raid the HP breakfast selection, so it is hilarious to me that someone would claim (effectively) that the breakfast is unsuitable for human consumption. It may not meet your personal needs and culinary standards, but then why are you staying at a HP in the first place
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:00 pm

When I'm staying at a hp, it's because it's the only Hyatt option and I need or want credit. That's the only reason, since over half the high end luxury brand is now limited service hp/hh properties.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Your experience with the HP and HH brands seems limited. I’ve had great made-to-order breakfasts at HPs that blew away the breakfasts at (allegedly) higher-level brands. Regardless, why would it be assumed that breakfast would be “free” at HH and HP but not, e.g., at PH? Charging $45 for eggs at the $550/night PH seems a lot more insulting than an upcharge at a lower-level brand.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I never prefer HP, but have stayed about a dozen locations in the last 4 years or so. I would say at 75% of the places, the breakfast is perfectly fine and suitable. At 25% of the places, the eggs or egg dish is completely inedible (in my opinion). The thing that annoys me the most is when you are there the day they are serving some crap dried out Turkey sausage -- I don't know what would be so wrong with serving real sausage every day. And really, I have been to a few lounge breakfasts at HRs and GHs where I would have rather taken a chance at a HP breakfast, so I don't think full service Hyatt breakfasts are always on the up and up.

I think it is a bit of a risk to charge some people for it because if someone pays 10 bucks for a breakfast, they aren't going to be happy with powder eggs and turkey sausage usually. Hopefully, the HPs up their game a little but I don't stay at them frequently enough to have any idea (haven't been to one in the last 50 Hyatt nights, next time I might be at one is next May where I have no other options), On the other hand, the free breakfasts at limited service competitors (if it is even offered) is nearly always less and/or worst (just things I never eat like cereal and muffins). I don't know, I am not going to care about this all that much -- I am truly more interested in what kind of hardware changes they make.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I've been wondering when Hyatt Places were going to up their game, design-wise. The orange/brown/green color scheme from the original Hyatt Places is an absolute eyesore, and there are still a lot of those around. That generation of Hyatt Places also seem to have been engineered to make the lobbies feel uncomfortable/not a place you'd hang out in, which goes against the current hotel-guest trend for comfortable lobbies. The second generation Hyatt Places are sometimes slightly less ugly, but still have the awkward bathrooms. Hyatt Place is probably feeling the heat because the new-generation Fairfield Inns are really nice, with modern furniture and comfortable beds (and free breakfast). Fairfield Inns also give free tea and coffee all day in the lobby.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Katlor
I've been wondering when Hyatt Places were going to up their game, design-wise. The orange/brown/green color scheme from the original Hyatt Places is an absolute eyesore, and there are still a lot of those around. That generation of Hyatt Places also seem to have been engineered to make the lobbies feel uncomfortable/not a place you'd hang out in, which goes against the current hotel-guest trend for comfortable lobbies. The second generation Hyatt Places are sometimes slightly less ugly, but still have the awkward bathrooms. Hyatt Place is probably feeling the heat because the new-generation Fairfield Inns are really nice, with modern furniture and comfortable beds (and free breakfast). Fairfield Inns also give free tea and coffee all day in the lobby.
I can't speak to Fairfields; but I would add some of the refurbed Courtyards' lobbies are nice and even some Residence Inns have pleasant lobbies, at least within the Marriott portfolio. I also think the HPs would benefit from a "social hour" or "manager's hour" a la Residence Inn and Kimpton. While Hyatt House is more akin to the Hyatt portfolio's Residence Inn, HPs would benefit from not only aesthetically more pleasing lobbies, but functions within those spaces as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.