Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Dec 30 Not Counting Towards 2017 Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec 30 Not Counting Towards 2017 Status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
Hi;

If one has a cash rate for Dec 26 - Dec 30 2018, and then one night stays booked as points (all with separate confirmation numbers) for Dec 30, 31 and Jan 1, my questions are:

1) Should this be treated as one big stay for seven nights, all credited as staying in 2019 (since I'm not checking in and checking out)
2) Will the system likely recognize it this way?

I'm not sure as of now which I would prefer (a head start on 2019 requalification for 2020, or an extra TSU for use in 2019). But I might be planning my 2019 vacation a little differently if I don't get the 7 nights all credited as a 2019 stay.

Thank in advance!
All indications are the separate reservations will be combined by the hotel and all 7 nights will count toward 2019.

I have a 6 night award stay from Dec. 27-Jan. 2, 2018 that I'm looking forward to jump starting 2019 requalification.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:13 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by beachfan
Hi;

If one has a cash rate for Dec 26 - Dec 30 2018, and then one night stays booked as points (all with separate confirmation numbers) for Dec 30, 31 and Jan 1, my questions are:

1) Should this be treated as one big stay for seven nights, all credited as staying in 2019 (since I'm not checking in and checking out)
2) Will the system likely recognize it this way?

I'm not sure as of now which I would prefer (a head start on 2019 requalification for 2020, or an extra TSU for use in 2019). But I might be planning my 2019 vacation a little differently if I don't get the 7 nights all credited as a 2019 stay.

Thank in advance!
I wonder if you can call in and get it all combined onto one big reservation, with checkout date in 2019. This would eliminate almost all doubt.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:20 am

assuming a globalist (as profile says diamond)
if you want all the nights for 2019, then do nothing and will happen automatically
if you want the 2018 nights for 2018, then book Dec 31 and subsequent nights as "guest of honor" bookings in your companion's name
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
Whatever you do get it in an email. Do not trust any assurances given over the phone.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by azepine00
doesnt every program credit stays by checkout?
I kinda see it as a positive - head start can be quite useful.. and if one needs nights in prev year there is flexibility of checking out on 12/31
Often checking out on December 31st isn't a real option as hotels tend to have minimum stay requirements for stays including NYE.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Often checking out on December 31st isn't a real option as hotels tend to have minimum stay requirements for stays including NYE.
Thanks to all who replied!

I was surprised as to how few have them in London. I at first held reservations for all nights but 12/31, then was able to add it by booking longer and eliminating the other nights once booked. But I was also looking at moving hotels as a backup, and a few Hiltons had one night award stays available on 12/31. Including the Waldorf London, which is close to where the fireworks show will be.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:20 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I just hung up on the "Globalist" line (I honestly don't think you get a special group) after 30 minutes off on and off holds.

I had a stay at Park Hyatt Seoul 12/30/17-1/2/18. Night 1 was Points, 2 was C&P, 3 was a Cat 1-7 free night award. I was only given one elite night towards 2018 instead of 3. When I called in the rep put me on hold for 20 minutes before coming back and letting me know that they did in fact take the points out of my account and credit the stays... after telling her I was inquiring about Elite Qualifying Nights she became quite confused and had no idea what I was talking about. I told her I was trying to get the extra two nights towards my 2018 globalist status and I was immediately put on hold again.

Am I correct that this single stay no matter how I paid for it should all be credited towards 2018 since awards nights for 2018 stays count?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I just hung up on the "Globalist" line (I honestly don't think you get a special group) after 30 minutes off on and off holds.

I had a stay at Park Hyatt Seoul 12/30/17-1/2/18. Night 1 was Points, 2 was C&P, 3 was a Cat 1-7 free night award. I was only given one elite night towards 2018 instead of 3. When I called in the rep put me on hold for 20 minutes before coming back and letting me know that they did in fact take the points out of my account and credit the stays... after telling her I was inquiring about Elite Qualifying Nights she became quite confused and had no idea what I was talking about. I told her I was trying to get the extra two nights towards my 2018 globalist status and I was immediately put on hold again.

Am I correct that this single stay no matter how I paid for it should all be credited towards 2018 since awards nights for 2018 stays count?
Per the T&C, it should have 1 night credit for 2018. Only if the nights get combined into 1 stay would all three count towards 2018.

Generally speaking, nights of different payment types (Points, C+P, Free Night Award) don't combine into a single reservation.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:38 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by jameswes
Per the T&C, it should have 1 night credit for 2018. Only if the nights get combined into 1 stay would all three count towards 2018.

Generally speaking, nights of different payment types (Points, C+P, Free Night Award) don't combine into a single reservation.
This is how it shows up in my activity:Park Hyatt Seoul

Stay - Points earned852 Dec 30, 2017Jan 2, 2018
Stay Details
Qualifying Night(s):1
Qualifying Spend:$131.00 USD
Check-inec 30, 2017
Checkout:Jan 2, 2018
Points EarnedBase Points/Miles:655
Globalist 30% Bonus:197
Wouldn't I have a check-in/check-out every day if it was multiple stays?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, you should have received stay credit for 3 nights, the stay details made it clear. All your separate reservations for consecutive nights are combined for this purpose. Weird Hyatt rule, but it's clear. Award nights counted retroactively early this year.

Your activity reflected what was in place at the time of your stay, so only 1 night stay credit for P&C, the other 2 nights should have been credited when WoH changed rules and counted award nights.

Call again.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:42 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by jameswes

I disagree - this is not stated anywhere. Even if the 3 stays were counted as separate stays, then the "back-to-back" rule would apply. even under the GP program, back-to-back stays counted as 1 stay. Also, if you call reservations to make the reservation, they will put all 3 nights, even with separate rates, under one reservation number (generally speaking....)

Originally Posted by bigshooter
This is how it shows up in my activity:Park Hyatt Seoul

Stay - Points earned852 Dec 30, 2017Jan 2, 2018
Stay Details
Qualifying Night(s):1
Qualifying Spend:$131.00 USD
Check-inec 30, 2017
Checkout:Jan 2, 2018
Points EarnedBase Points/Miles:655
Globalist 30% Bonus:197
Wouldn't I have a check-in/check-out every day if it was multiple stays?
I agree, this should be counted as 3 nights.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jun 11, 2018 at 10:48 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I disagree - this is not stated anywhere. Even if the 3 stays were counted as separate stays, then the "back-to-back" rule would apply. even under the GP program, back-to-back stays counted as 1 stay. Also, if you call reservations to make the reservation, they will put all 3 nights, even with separate rates, under one reservation number (generally speaking....)

I agree, this should be counted as 3 nights.
Unfortunately according to Hyatt (twice) I was told the nights from last year apply to last year, even if it's the same stay. I asked why my activity shows 1 Qualifying night, they told me that's because they applied to last year.... apparently they are applying nights in whatever fashion screws us the most.

Is there a T&C anywhere that outlines how this should work?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've booked a Hyatt resort stay that starts on December 28 and ends on January 2. I will need the nights of the 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st to get to Explorist status. Will I have a problem getting that credited correctly, and is there anything I can do to make it work? In theory, I could check out on Dec 31 and stay elsewhere, but that would seem idiotic for both me and Hyatt.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:37 pm

you will have to fight tooth & nail plus find a sympathetic agent to shift the stay for checkout 2 days earlier on Dec 31.

a sneaky piece of advice is this.

Dec 28-31 in name John Doe
Dec31-Jan02 in name Jane Doe

Dec 31 checkout should post at 10AM PST Jan 1.
After it posts, and you have new status and certs issued, go down to front desk and change name on room back to John Doe.

my experience is the earned status will stick and the certs won’t be clawed back when Hyatt system combines the two stays when posting on Jan 3. this is based upon the Chase Hyatt 5 nights mistaken posting on Dec 31 and the resulting 70th night cert not being clawed back.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
you will have to fight tooth & nail plus find a sympathetic agent to shift the stay for checkout 2 days earlier on Dec 31.

a sneaky piece of advice is this.

Dec 28-31 in name John Doe
Dec31-Jan02 in name Jane Doe

Dec 31 checkout should post at 10AM PST Jan 1.
After it posts, and you have new status and certs issued, go down to front desk and change name on room back to John Doe.

my experience is the earned status will stick and the certs won’t be clawed back when Hyatt system combines the two stays when posting on Jan 3. this is based upon the Chase Hyatt 5 nights mistaken posting on Dec 31 and the resulting 70th night cert not being clawed back.
This seems batsh@t crazy. Do I really need to do this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.