Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best use of two free nights in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

I have my two free nights from a credit card signup with Hyatt. I also have two free nights with Hilton. I'm taking a trip to Asia and I am trying to determine the best place to use my two free hyatt nights. I will have two nights in Japan, I will be all over vietnam, in Bangkok (and maybe some other place in Thailand) I will be in the philippines, maybe borneo, Kul and Singapore. There is a chance I may spend two nights in Hong Kong but that is not certain yet. I figure the best properties to use these at would be in Tokyo, Singapore or Hong Kong given the cost of those cities when it comes to hotels. I am leaning towards using them in Tokyo, since that seems like the most expensive destination on my agenda. Given my travel plans would Tokyo be the best bang for my buck when it comes to the free nights? Also, I have a hyatt cat 1-5 certificate if anyone has recommendations on the best place to use it in Asia I am all ears. I will likely use hyatt points for some other redemptions unless the cash price is really low.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Red259
I have my two free nights from a credit card signup with Hyatt. I also have two free nights with Hilton. I'm taking a trip to Asia and I am trying to determine the best place to use my two free hyatt nights. I will have two nights in Japan, I will be all over vietnam, in Bangkok (and maybe some other place in Thailand) I will be in the philippines, maybe borneo, Kul and Singapore. There is a chance I may spend two nights in Hong Kong but that is not certain yet. I figure the best properties to use these at would be in Tokyo, Singapore or Hong Kong given the cost of those cities when it comes to hotels. I am leaning towards using them in Tokyo, since that seems like the most expensive destination on my agenda. Given my travel plans would Tokyo be the best bang for my buck when it comes to the free nights? Also, I have a hyatt cat 1-5 certificate if anyone has recommendations on the best place to use it in Asia I am all ears. I will likely use hyatt points for some other redemptions unless the cash price is really low.
It depends on the specific rates you're facing, but you've correctly identified the most expensive cities in Asia. Read the fine print if getting upgrades is important to you.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends on the specific rates you're facing, but you've correctly identified the most expensive cities in Asia. Read the fine print if getting upgrades is important to you.
I'm not sure what you mean by fine print. As far as I know I don't get upgrades with Hyatt, which makes upgrade chance pretty much a non-factor.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm not sure what you mean by fine print. As far as I know I don't get upgrades with Hyatt, which makes upgrade chance pretty much a non-factor.
On many "free" stays, there's an option to upgrade with either points or money (or both). I'm not sure the certs allow this, but it could depend on the individual hotel.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

On many "free" stays, there's an option to upgrade with either points or money (or both). I'm not sure the certs allow this, but it could depend on the individual hotel.
Oh, I'll have to look into it. Depending on the points required that could be a real game changer. Looks like the Andaz is not accepting point nights for my dates so I am thinking they may not accept my award nights either. I hope these certs come in soon. Would really suck to be blocked from using the free nights in Tokyo.

Last edited by Red259; May 15, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you have 2 free nights anywhere, spend them on the PH Tokyo. Don't waste too much time doubting yourself.

I suspect you have a 1-4 certificate, not 1-5. HR TST in Hong Kong is a reasonable use, or the PH Saigon.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:18 pm

Park Hyatt Tokyo or Conrad Tokyo - I also had 2 free nights for both these hotel and decided to go with Conrad since i was Diamond member. Eventually, used points for 2 additional nights.

I don't think you will make a wrong choice between Park Hyatt or Conrad but if you are diamond or gold status with Hilton, i say go with Hilton -simply for the free breakfast and lounges.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:19 pm

There are people here who prefer the Andaz over the PH in Tokyo.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Second all the Tokyo recommendations, if for no other reason than to avoid the approx. 25% in add-ons (service charge and taxes).
Old May 17, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

There are people here who prefer the Andaz over the PH in Tokyo.
I haven't stayed in the PH Tokyo, but I liked the room I got in the Andaz. What I really liked was the free soda in the room. if I drank some and went out i'd come back and they would be replaced. Andaz isn't an option for me at this time unless award space opens up again closer in, but on the weekend the area was just too dead. Sometimes you just want to go out and see something without having to take a train. Sadly my understanding is the PH is kinda isolated as well, but maybe you can at least walk to somewhere interesting.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
HR TST is a very good use of the 1-4. Did just that a couple of years ago and then used it at the GH Bangkok the next year which was also a solid use
Old May 18, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Second all the Tokyo recommendations, if for no other reason than to avoid the approx. 25% in add-ons (service charge and taxes).
Hong Kong has high taxes and service charges too.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hong Kong has high taxes and service charges too.
Not even close. HKG adds 10%, which is actually relatively low. 10-15% is common worldwide (including SF at over 16%). At just under 25%, Tokyo is the highest I know of.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not even close. HKG adds 10%, which is actually relatively low. 10-15% is common worldwide (including SF at over 16%). At just under 25%, Tokyo is the highest I know of.
I'm sure I paid more than that in Hong Kong. IIRC there was the 10% tax, but also an additional service charge of 10-15%. However, I'm not thinking of a Hyatt there, but rather the W, IC, and Pen.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:24 pm

I'm sure I paid more than that in Hong Kong. IIRC there was the 10% tax, but also an additional service charge of 10-15%. However, I'm not thinking of a Hyatt there, but rather the W, IC, and Pen.
Okay. Calling your bluff. Let's see a screen shot showing any of those properties assessing more than 10% taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.