Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HGP ends tomorrow (2/28/2017): what are you doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HGP ends tomorrow (2/28/2017): what are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
I'm at a Marriott. Chasing Marriott's promo as Hyatt doesn't have one ongoing.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 77W_12A

Come to think of it, I know of two off the top of my head that closed during off peak hours. HR Irvine (doesn't exist now) and HR Kathmandu.
HR Santa Clara used to routinely close on the weekend. I'm not sure if that's still the case.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by JackE
HR Santa Clara used to routinely close on the weekend. I'm not sure if that's still the case.
Only once in a blue moon is it open. Breakfast in Tosca Sat/Sun/Monday AM.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
No change. Had 61 nights last year. Planning this same this year.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JetAway
I have a group of friends who together own several Hyatt Places. As we know, HP offers very minimal elite benefits. Nevertheless, these friends are constantly complaining about the cost of providing 500 points or an extra bottle of water to the higher elites staying at their hotels. Margins are narrow, competition is stiff and every dollar counts.
The devaluation of the program by way of GP-->WOH means that customers who may have stayed at HPs because of the loyalty program are less likely to pick the HPs and more likely to shop based on price. That (decreased loyalty to Hyatt) can't be good for HP margins and revenue when competition is stiff and every dollar counts.

My bet is that Hyatt thinks the demand is so strong already that competition doesn't really matter to it.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Tomorrow I'll be packing for my next trip--one night at LHR (the Sofitel, not an HP), then on to St Petersburg (the FS) and Stuttgart (a lovely independent hotel)--no Hyatts in either destination even to reject!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'm actually looking forward to more IHG stays this year. I had a wonderful stay at the Crowne Plaza in PDX when usually I would have booked the Hyatt House. This feels quite liberating. I'll be sampling more Hilton and Fairmont properties this year as well.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Staying at the Ritz-Carlton instead of their Unbound collection resort in Soth Beach.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Life goes on for me, and I just booked the Luxor in Vegas since it's the most convenient hotel to my convention and the rate is really good! So HGP or WoH, whatever, no big deal!

But with all this WoH nonsense, I have "rediscovered" Starwood and have really enjoyed staying at Starriott in Q4. SPG still remembers that I am a Lifetime Plat, and then Marriott sent me my "matching" Marriott Rewards Platinum card so there is a lot more incentive for me to book Starriott than ever before.

We'll have to wait and see, but I suspect that the majority of my 2017 nights will be going to Starriott and to HHONORS since I still do need to requal for Diamond with Hilton.

Last edited by sapguy; Feb 28, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
Canceled a about 15 extra stays, I had just to get to 25, I'll get the new tier off the CC easily. So I'll never get to taste Diamond at least I'll get to try Explorist later this year.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Neric
So I'll never get to taste Diamond at least I'll get to try Explorist later this year.
I can tell you how Explorist tastes. The same as if a general member (Generalist?) occasionally pays a bit more and books a club room.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sapguy
Life goes on for me, and I just booked the Luxor in Vegas since it's the most convenient hotel to my convention and the rate is really good! So HGP or WoH, whatever, no big deal!

But with all this WoH nonsense, I have "rediscovered" Starwood and have really enjoyed staying at Starriott in Q4. SPG still remembers that I am a Lifetime Plat, and then Marriott sent me my "matching" Marriott Rewards Platinum card so there is a lot more incentive for me to book Starriott than ever before.

We'll have to wait and see, but I suspect that the majority of my 2017 nights will be going to Starriott and to HHONORS since I still do need to requal for Diamond with Hilton.
Are you still Marriott Platinum? I had the same match to SPG LTP, but my matched Marriott Platinum dropped down to Gold last week. On calling Marriott about that, I was told they were not matching Lifetime SPG.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:57 pm
tsz

I just spent 30 minutes going through my entire stay history and asking for the Diamond welcome amenity points that didn't post. Will definitely miss those!

(Side note: I apparently missed one in 2015 and the rep couldn't add a welcome amenity that far back, but manually credited those points)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you holding a wake? Using your last DSU that's about expire (or would it need to be used tonight?)? Revisiting your favorite Hyatt? Burning your Diamond card, giving it a proper burial, or cutting it into tiny pieces to be scattered at sea or from a mountain top? Perhaps checking in at some mattress run place for one final welcome amenity?

R I P
Scheming to burn my points this year, debating on when to ask for a suite and when to use a DSU.

Scheming to look for a Hyatt status match once I lose Glob. Based on their history, Hyatt should be handing out Glob status matches starting next March. I don't want Austin_Modern, Radiant Flyer, and PortlySparticus to be lonely in the restaurant when they close the lounge due to lack of Globs.

Originally Posted by 77W_12A
Tell you what. If and when those lounges don't see as much traffic as they do now, I can almost guarantee you those lounges will shut on the weekends or offer less food.

Come to think of it, I know of two off the top of my head that closed during off peak hours. HR Irvine (doesn't exist now) and HR Kathmandu.
The HR Mission Bay lounge was closed during a recent stay due to low number of Diamonds. The sheet I saw showed around a dozen Diamonds that day.

Converting lounges to revenue rooms would increase hotel profitability.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
The HR Mission Bay lounge was closed during a recent stay due to low number of Diamonds. The sheet I saw showed around a dozen Diamonds that day.

Converting lounges to revenue rooms would increase hotel profitability.
HR Sacramento closes theirs on weekends. It occupies ultra prime real estate on the 10th floor with a terrace overlooking the Capitol (used to be Arnie's personal residence when he was governor). I've never seen more than a handful of guests in the lounge; this property does not draw Diamonds like the big city ones do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.