Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The property is now a Cat 8. And, surprise surprise, there is now award availability in April 2023. 45000 points a night! That's like a Hilton number!
So I guess the break even point for purchased Hyatt Points has now moved into the region of 770 - 800 USD a night room rate (depending on cost of acquisition) which currently means ~95-100k JPY. Looking at the crazy rates they charge at times, it could still be worthwhile for someone keen on staying there. YMMV.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by demue
So I guess the break even point for purchased Hyatt Points has now moved into the region of 770 - 800 USD a night room rate (depending on cost of acquisition) which currently means ~95-100k JPY. Looking at the crazy rates they charge at times, it could still be worthwhile for someone keen on staying there. YMMV.
The 45K pts for peak is definitely too rich for me, and even the 35K for off-peak is pushing it. One saving grace is that there are a lot of off-peak days, a higher percentage than at most properties I've looked at.

And as you say, vs. revenue, even 35-45K pts is still better redemption value than most properties. With foreign tourists still locked out of Japan, rates can be as low as 130K yen including T&S + city occupancy tax but go as high as 260K yen for peak weekends, and the low rates are likely to disappear once Japan opens up again.

There also seem to be plenty of Japan residents willing to pay to stay here. We were there for 3 nights over the Spring Equinox holiday weekend, and Sat and Sun night was quite busy.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Anyone know if you're able to squeeze 4 people in a standard suite here (calling after booking / upgrading with a TSU)? Can't do more than 3 people directly online and would suck to have to book 2 rooms... but realize Japan's Japan
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Made an award booking for 4 nights when this was still a cat 7. What’s the best way to go about it if I need to shorten the stay by 1 night? There doesn’t seem to be a way to modify the dates online or on the app. Also not sure if that would reprice the entire stay to the new redemption level. Is it an option to let the hotel know at checkin that I would like to shorten my stay by 1 night?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mechu
Made an award booking for 4 nights when this was still a cat 7. What’s the best way to go about it if I need to shorten the stay by 1 night? There doesn’t seem to be a way to modify the dates online or on the app. Also not sure if that would reprice the entire stay to the new redemption level. Is it an option to let the hotel know at checkin that I would like to shorten my stay by 1 night?
What is the cancellation policy? If it’s <4 days then you can. If not then that won’t work, and I do not believe you can chop off a night without repricing (but you should check with your concierge).
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
What is the cancellation policy? If it’s <4 days then you can. If not then that won’t work, and I do not believe you can chop off a night without repricing (but you should check with your concierge).
I see. Cancellation policy is 48h. Thanks for the tip. Let me try reaching out to my concierge.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I see. Cancellation policy is 48h. Thanks for the tip. Let me try reaching out to my concierge.
If it’s 48hrs then I’d say you have a pretty good chance of having the hotel sort it out on checkin. Try with the concierge first (and maybe ask them to split the reservation if they can’t just shorten it), and if that fails then do at the front desk.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:47 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
I had the same situation with a different property, and I'm sad to say that the entire stay was repriced. I got lucky because it was only a 2 night stay that I was trying to shorten to 1 night. The agent said there was nothing that could be done about the new price, but she proactively awarded my account with the points difference so that I didn't have to spend extra points. I didn't even know phone agents could do that, so I was very happy.

Since things worked out, I didn't try to HUCA, so maybe a different agent would've handled it differently for the better (no repricing, if allowed by the system) or for the worse (not awarding the "missing" points).
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:29 am

Japanese breakfast is now a 3300yen/person upcharge for globalists? Any recent stays here - is it still the same thing everyday with no variation in dishes?

Last edited by travelbugging; Sep 17, 2022 at 9:44 am
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Japanese breakfast is now a 3300yen/person upcharge for globalists? Any recent stays here - is it still the same thing everyday with no variation in dishes?
I can confirm the 3300 yen up charge based on recent communications with the concierge and reporting of this up charge maybe six months ago from FlyerTalkers staying there. It was previously reported as 3000 yen.

For an upcoming stay in October we’re getting the Japanese breakfast only one morning out of three because we’re expecting it to be the same everyday based on photos of the Japanese breakfast here. Plus the buffet plus hot items standard breakfast does look quite good and should provide us some variety for the other mornings.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
I can confirm the 3300 yen up charge based on recent communications with the concierge and reporting of this up charge maybe six months ago from FlyerTalkers staying there. It was previously reported as 3000 yen.

For an upcoming stay in October we’re getting the Japanese breakfast only one morning out of three because we’re expecting it to be the same everyday based on photos of the Japanese breakfast here. Plus the buffet plus hot items standard breakfast does look quite good and should provide us some variety for the other mornings.
I guess with the weak yen, 3300 yen now is equivalent (in usd) to 3000 yen 6 months ago. Our stay is in november so looking forward to your report, have a great stay!
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ArthurSFO11
I had the same situation with a different property, and I'm sad to say that the entire stay was repriced. I got lucky because it was only a 2 night stay that I was trying to shorten to 1 night. The agent said there was nothing that could be done about the new price, but she proactively awarded my account with the points difference so that I didn't have to spend extra points. I didn't even know phone agents could do that, so I was very happy.

Since things worked out, I didn't try to HUCA, so maybe a different agent would've handled it differently for the better (no repricing, if allowed by the system) or for the worse (not awarding the "missing" points).
I was denied by my concierge to cut a night without repricing. I believe the hotel had the flexibility to do do and I will contact them (different hotel, same situation).

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 18, 2022 at 12:26 am
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler

Although my info is a bit old, I can confirm that in 2019 the Japanese breakfast (no upcharge back then) was the exact same (100%) on both morning of our 2-night stay. On 2 stays this year we have only had the western breakfast (in-room), since I think the 3000 yen (plus 10% tax in Bistro, plus 10% and 15% service for in room) upcharge is rather insulting in view of the fact the difference in the price is only 1000 yen.

Have they restarted the buffet breakfast in Bistro? I thought it was completely stopped. No mention of it on the hotel website.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Have they restarted the buffet breakfast in Bistro? I thought it was completely stopped. No mention of it on the hotel website.
I hope they have restarted the buffet. On a second read of the current menu I’m not so sure. I guess we’ll see. I hope the staff can keep up if everyone is ordering individual items that would otherwise be self serve.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Although my info is a bit old, I can confirm that in 2019 the Japanese breakfast (no upcharge back then) was the exact same (100%) on both morning of our 2-night stay. On 2 stays this year we have only had the western breakfast (in-room), since I think the 3000 yen (plus 10% tax in Bistro, plus 10% and 15% service for in room) upcharge is rather insulting in view of the fact the difference in the price is only 1000 yen
Thank you for the info re the Japanese breakfast and that there’s no variation in it. Will prob start with that and try the Western breakfast the next and see which we like better then go with that for the remainder of our stay.

The 3300 yen upgrade I was quoted must have included the tax already. Apologies for the confusion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.