Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
They're allegedly categorized as a resort now and don't have to offer 4pm checkout.
Wow. That is really bad form by Hyatt IMO and probably the camel's nose under the tent for other properties to suddenly "resort-ify".
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dpb132
Wow. That is really bad form by Hyatt IMO and probably the camel's nose under the tent for other properties to suddenly "resort-ify".
They do have a case because of the small number of rooms and suites and high occupancy.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
According to the FD receptionist that checked me in, they only prepare 30 Japanese breakfasts every day

This really should change.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
My guess is that he was on vacation. The guy was all over the place during New Years, to the point that it was hard to not see him. Wouldn't be surprised if he was putting in 20 hour days during that time.
Not that it translated to any meaningful interaction. SO and I stayed over New Year's, crossed paths with the GM at least 5 times, but the only time we spoke was when he offered to help us with our bags on the first day (seems he was expecting a VVIP to arrive, but our taxi happened to reach first). There was a large family he seemed more preoccupied with. The most unfortunate part of our stay.

Edit: Quote didn't show on first try.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chweekueh
Not that it translated to any meaningful interaction. SO and I stayed over New Year's, crossed paths with the GM at least 5 times, but the only time we spoke was when he offered to help us with our bags on the first day (seems he was expecting a VVIP to arrive, but our taxi happened to reach first). There was a large family he seemed more preoccupied with. The most unfortunate part of our stay.
He knew me from our stays at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, but I honestly couldn't recall his face. Don't worry, I don't think you missed out on much, lol.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:15 am

We just checked out after a seven day stay. We thought the hotel and staff were great.

We stayed in the Higashiyama suite on the third floor, which was a very nice room. Good size, decor, view.

The staff were very friendly and efficient. I can't remember any service issues. Staff we'd never met greeted us by name, thanked us and asked how they could help. Mark L introduced himself, due to our staying seven days. He is very aware Tripadvisor reviews and believes they will improve.

We really liked the meals in the Bistro, which was seldom crowded. Dinner in Yasaka was very nice. We had that restaurant to ourselves.

We'd have no problem staying there again.
Living_on_Points likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:29 am

Any photos of the Higashiyama Suite?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:26 pm

ghzhammer posted a youtube walk-through earlier in this thread.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Morkai
Any photos of the Higashiyama Suite?
Posted the walkthrough up thread but also if you have any questions just ask.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pickles
To be fair, I don't recall women attendants at the spa and changing rooms of the GH Tokyo, the PH Tokyo, or the Andaz Tokyo. But I do recall seeing them at Gora Kadan and Asaba ryokans, which although not "Western chains" do have a fair bit of foreign guests. Not to mention onsens and sentos up and down the land, as recently as... 3 weeks ago. It is also extremely common to see women cleaners and attendants in men's public bathrooms all over the place, including fully "Western" areas such as Marunouchi. I even recall that at the public restroom in the lobby (behind the cigar shop) of the GH Tokyo, so there.

I don't know what kind of bubble life hailstorm and OsakaWino lead, but believing that somehow this is a dying retrograde practice is just digging a hole, as evidenced by the finer and finer contortions required so they don't yield an inch: "I'm talking about Western hotel chains, that should be obvious", "Dave Barry wrote his book in 1991", etc. Give it up, fellas, it's not a good look.
Yes, so true. You can even find female attendants in Western chains in Japan too. I just returned from a stay at the ANA Intercontinental Beppu Resort & Spa (OK, a Western chain with a Japanese partner, but a Western chain nonetheless) in January where I ran into a female attendant in the men's changing room as I entered naked from the bathing area. Not surprising, and not unusual for Japan. Given this common practice, I'm not sure why many in this thread are so eager to write it off as an understaffing issue.

Originally Posted by Pickles
The staffing decision at the onsen may have been made by a facilities manager independently and without the knowledge of the Western GM, and the manager just did what he saw elsewhere in his experience. Or (in a very Japanese twist) assume that Westerners don't like onsen, so you won't be seeing them there, problem solved.
This is very easy to imagine as the most likely reason this happens at Western hotel chains, especially where there is a Western GM, but the facility manager under him is Japanese.

To underscore your point, I witnessed the most egregious example of a woman in a men's room I've ever seen at a rest stop near Yufuin (a popular onsen town in Oita Prefecture) on the highway home from Beppu after my recent stay there. As I entered the large men's room with its perhaps 2-dozen urinals, I saw a woman who appeared to be in her 40s working on her knees to fix two urinals while men were busy using the other urinals next to and around her. As typical, they paid her no attention. While you're probably not very likely to see this kind of extreme at a Western hotel in Japan, it doesn't hurt to remember that Japan is culturally unique.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Mar 7, 2020 at 8:54 pm Reason: Add text
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
Originally Posted by Aventine
Kyoyamato's kyoryori kaiseki should be better than the breakfast. I bet it costs 4x times as much per person? PH's Japanese breakfast doesn't look that much better than the HR's.
It is MUCH MUCH better than the breakfast. It was a pretty awesome experience. And we did the lowest level of the 3 price ranges.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just booked 2 nights with points at the end of March 2021. Betting on a week earlier than I usually target for cherry blossoms given the warmer climate driving early bloom in 2019 and the same predicted for this year.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Just booked 2 nights with points at the end of March 2021. Betting on a week earlier than I usually target for cherry blossoms given the warmer climate driving early bloom in 2019 and the same predicted for this year.
Recent predictions on TV have predicted cherry blossoms blooming two weeks earlier than normal
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Not sure why you think there was an early bloom in Kyoto in 2019. According to the Metrological Agency, first bloom in Kyoto in 2019 was 27 Mar vs a 10-year average of 28 Mar, with full bloom on 6 Apr vs a 10-year average of 5 Apr. 2018 was one of the earliest of the last decade, with first bloom on 22 Mar and full bloom on 28 Mar.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Not sure why you think there was an early bloom in Kyoto in 2019. According to the Metrological Agency, first bloom in Kyoto in 2019 was 27 Mar vs a 10-year average of 28 Mar, with full bloom on 6 Apr vs a 10-year average of 5 Apr. 2018 was one of the earliest of the last decade, with first bloom on 22 Mar and full bloom on 28 Mar.
Who said I'm just visiting Kyoto? In 2018 and 2019 both Tokyo and Sendai bloomed earlier than usual. In Sendai's case its just been getting earlier and earlier over the years. I'll be in Kyoto for the first few days in April as well which historically might mean I miss the full bloom there but with limited time and several destinations there's always going to be some uncertainty about hitting exactly the right time.

I mean heck, with betting on the time this far out I could end up missing the whole thing depending on how the climate goes.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Mar 1, 2020 at 10:38 pm
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by metaphoreus
As Explorist (although I don’t think they cared), I emailed the hotel and was also offered cash upgrade on points booking. King to any of the rooms including Park Suite. The rates were

5k yen for King Garden Terrace
10k yen for King View
25k yen for Deluxe
35k yen for Deluxe View
50k yen for Park Suite
+ tax and service charge on all of the above

Pretty good deal! Took the King View as well. While Suite would be nice, it is a very long tour of Japan and already splashing out elsewhere where there are limited options.
Can I ask which email address did you make this request to?

I've inquired via the main email address ([email protected]) about paid upgrade options but were told it's only available upon availability at check in time.

I've booked a 3-night points stay in early April which is peak cherry blossom so it could be due anticipated high occupancy rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.