Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:12 am

RE: Traditional Japanese breakfast

Just curious, anyone offer insights on how it compares to the one at PH Tokyo?

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Visconti
RE: Traditional Japanese breakfast

Just curious, anyone offer insights on how it compares to the one at PH Tokyo?

Thanks.
The rice at PH Kyoto is much better; cooked in its own individual pot and kept warm. Other than that I would not say that it is necessarily better than PH Tokyo. Set composition can vary, but PH Tokyo had yudofu when we were there, PH Kyoto did not.
Visconti likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Martellus
Just finished a two-day stay here. As stated before, the hard product stunning and among one of the sleekest hotels i've been to. I did two nights at PH and two nights at Suiran, but PH is just miles ahead of Suiran in terms of decor, no doubt about it. (Though Suiran's location near the Katsura River and Arashiyama give it the better 'environment', IMO).

Japanese Breakfast (which I know is not for everyone) was among the best we've had, definitely better than similar offerings at Suiran or Prince Gallery Tokyo.

We originally had a King Garden room but we switched rooms on the second night to a Twin Deluxe View room (701), which was one of the larger non-suite rooms with a fantastic view of Kyoto. I wouldn't hesitate to take that if you booked a king room and no king upgrades were available on check-in.

I regret doing PH/Suiran instead of PH/Ritz but oh well. We had a walk through the Ritz and were impressed at the decor though I didn't get to see the guestrooms. That being said, Kyoto has had such a massive expansion of luxury hotels in recent years (Ritz, PH, Four Seasons, Aman) that we're all a bit spoiled for choice.
Not to rub salt in the wound or anything but for reference from having stayed at both several times, the RC standard room is of higher quality than Suiran's deluxe room which is the highest tier room that isn't one of the 2 special rooms or 4 suites. I felt that Suiran's garden suite was better than what I've experienced at the RC but the suites at Suiran are quite unique. I appreciate your feedback as I will be staying at both the RC and PH Kyoto next Nov; it'll be my first stay at a PH property. I hope you can visit the RC someday as well.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Dec 10, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Hyatt
Trying to use TSU

I see a Park Suite for sale during my dates of stay and tried to use my TSU to confirm the upgrade. But Hyatt said they are currently selling the suite only and it is not available for upgrades. Is this normal for all Hyatt hotels or just PH Kyoto? Anybody else have a similar experience.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by turtle777
I see a Park Suite for sale during my dates of stay and tried to use my TSU to confirm the upgrade. But Hyatt said they are currently selling the suite only and it is not available for upgrades. Is this normal for all Hyatt hotels or just PH Kyoto? Anybody else have a similar experience.
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I’m guessing they finally put a stop to the TSUs.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:29 pm

I just used a TSU for a Park Suite yesterday. Stay is late next year. I emailed my concierge to apply it.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:12 pm

Unfortunate they're blocking TSUs. Kind of makes sense though since HR Kyoto also doesn't allow suite upgrades. I wonder why they built the place with so little suites.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Not normal. I've been told on multiple occasions by the Globalist line that upgrade inventory for TSUs is identical to standard suite inventory for cash bookings. (NB: upgrade inventory for points upgrades is a subset.)
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Unfortunate they're blocking TSUs. Kind of makes sense though since HR Kyoto also doesn't allow suite upgrades. I wonder why they built the place with so little suites.
There is little evidence that they are blocking TSUs. One report of a failed request and one report of a successful application on the same day most likely indicates that the failure was due to some miscommunication. 9 of 70 rooms are suites, 13%, so a higher percentage than most properties. 4 Park Suites, which is the category available for TSUs is not a bad percentage either.

While they may, as many have predicted, disallow TSUs in the future, I think it is very possible that they may continue to honor them, for the following reasons.

1. 4 base suites at a 70-room property is far from scarce; 6% of all rooms/suites are base suites.

2. The rate differential between the base suites and lower category rooms is very small; just 50,000 yen from the standard room and a mere 15,000 yen from the Deluxe View which is the next lower category. At lowest season that is a 63% rate increase from the standard room and just 13% from the Deluxe View. At the highest season the percentage difference decreased to about 25% from the standard room and a mere 6% above the View Deluxe. Contrast this many properties where the rate for a base suite is 2x or 3x that for a standard room.

Of course, if TSUs are being used for all or most of the base suites on a majority of days, they may decide to disallow, but right now it at least looks like they are willing to wait and see how it goes.
solewalker likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
It's a small hotel. Trying to be a cozy Kyoto guesthouse.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Slightly off topic, but has anybody here seen Aman Kyoto yet, and have any thoughts of how it compares to PH Kyoto?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I have a feeling you might be in the ADA room? The last time I saw a toilet like that was at the train station or HR Kyoto when I had their disabilities room.
Should we take this to mean 303/304 are the rooms reserved for award bookings? They sure seem the tiniest.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Morkai
Should we take this to mean 303/304 are the rooms reserved for award bookings? They sure seem the tiniest.
I think that ADA room looked decently sized but the garden probably does count in the room calculations.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ghzhammer
I will be staying in that room on the 1st happy to post some pics and a video to YouTube.
Did you end up staying in the Higashiyama suite? How was it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.