FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1798925-world-hyatt-pre-launch.html)

cmanc Oct 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Disappointing but not altogether surprising as pretty much all the Hotel/Airline loyalty programs are doing the similar moves. In my case I do about 70-80 nights in hotels/year for business mainly Intl. travel across Asia, EMEA and LATAM, very little US. With some planning (and putting up with less convenient locations) I have been able to get 50nights for the past few years, but getting to 60 nights will be a stretch for the simple fact that Hyatt has a small footprint in many countries. Simple example I was in Brussels, Stockholm, Manchester and London two weeks ago for total of 8 nights only 2 could go to Hyatt, rest to Hilton. I am scratching my head a little since I assume as a corporate customer probably paying $350/night on average the changes may well mean I decide to drop Hyatt and move more business to HH or SPG. I am sure Hyatt has done a ton of impact analysis and they wouldn't expect to "please" everyone but like many others I see this as a negative that will make me reconsider my hotel preferences.

kerrigjl Oct 27, 2016 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by esquesk (Post 27402891)
You don't lose the 4 DSU's, 4pm late checkout, or lounge access as a Diamond/Globalist... Not sure where you got that information from.

That poster is assuming that they will be downgraded once unable to keep globablist.

smilee Oct 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by esquesk (Post 27402840)
There seems to be quite a bit of over-reaction and misinformation in this thread.

Overall, there are some significant improvements over the old program.

#1 DSU's on Award Nights.
#2 DSU's on Award Nights
#3 DSU's on Award Nights
#4 Complimentary Suite Upgrades

I think you repeated yourself here. Those upgrades aren't any SUITE, they are the very limited "STANDARD SUITE" too.

The program negatives are
#1 No 1W - offset by the free night (C1-4) at 30 nights and unrestricted free night at 60 nights. REALLY? A cat 4 could even be a free night at a Hyatt Place, and its only valid for 120 days. Limited VALUE

#2 Breakfast Downgrade - this should really only impact those who took full advantage of the breakfast benefit. Not many people will be impacted by this change as not many people have 4 registered guests to a single room. DOWNGRADE - Yes

It sucks..... PERIOD. It doesn't matter really who is paying the bill corporate or out of your own pocket.

jpdx Oct 27, 2016 10:57 pm

#5 Free Parking on Award Stays
#6 No Resort Fee on Award Stays

There have been conflicting reports about these benefits, so I'd appreciate official confirmation. The waived resort fee has been listed by some blogs as limited to award stays, by others as applicable to award and revenue stays. The parking benefit was listed on the blog that broke the news, but hasn't been mentioned on several of the later posts by the bigger blogs. I wonder how Hyatt would offer free parking in big cities, where it's often outsourced to third parties. HGP -sorry, WOH- or the properties could be shelling out some serious dough for parking.

Also, there are other issues everyone seems to take for granted that haven't been confirmed -- most notably, will C&P stays continue to be qualifying?

Kacee Oct 27, 2016 10:59 pm

The way programs are going these days, I find it hard to think more than a year ahead. And through Feb. 28, 2018, this will be an upgrade for those who qualify for Diamond in 2016.

Who knows what 2018 is going to look like.

Originally Posted by esquesk (Post 27402891)
You don't lose the 4 DSU's, 4pm late checkout, or lounge access as a Diamond/Globalist...

You do if you've previously qualified on 25 stays and can't make 60 nights. A very substantial percentage of current Diamonds will not qualify for the new top tier. And will thus lose DSUs, 4 pm check-out, and lounge access.

chicaloca453 Oct 27, 2016 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 27402314)
If the info is true, this is such a drastic change that leaves me scratching my head. Why not introduce the changes in phases? Why overthrow the entire program? It almost feels like a merger happened without an actual merger.

It makes me wonder what the new Marriott program will look like. If Hyatt thinks they can get away with this in the uncertain market then I'm worried that Hilton will follow and Marriott will be frightening

notquiteaff Oct 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27402916)
You do if you've previously qualified on 25 stays and can't make 60 nights. A very substantial percentage of current Diamonds will not qualify for the new top tier. And will thus lose DSUs, 4 pm check-out, and lounge access.

But presumably the poster worried about the DSUs did qualify as Diamond and thus will be Globalist for the next year.

The way programs are going these days, I find it hard to think more than a year ahead. And through Feb. 28, 2018, this will be an upgrade for those who qualify for Diamond in 2016.

Who knows what 2018 is going to look like.

:D

esquesk Oct 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by smilee (Post 27402906)
I think you repeated yourself here. Those upgrades aren't any SUITE, they are the very limited "STANDARD SUITE" too.

Oh no, really? I didn't realize I repeated it 3 times, guess I must have just been REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT. It's always YMMV on this - SPG has the same benefit and it's considered one of the biggest assets to the program. And now you can confirm it at booking. Huge win.

It sucks..... PERIOD.

If you can re-qualify for Diamond/Global, it doesn't suck...... PERIOD. In fact, these changes are pretty damn awesome for those that can requalify.

If you can't requalify, guess Hyatt is letting you know that your business isn't valuable enough to them to get the level of benefits that you've become accustomed to.

It doesn't matter really who is paying the bill corporate or out of your own pocket.

Of course it matters who's footing the bill. A leisure customer will book months in advance, do a BRG, and shop around if rates remain too high. A last second reservation from a business customer will be less price sensitive and will likely book into a pre-negotiated corporate rate much higher than what the leisure customer would spend. The business customer also wins on volume as well. Catering to those with high volume and high profitability makes good business sense.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 27402916)

This is true, Hyatt is essentially telling those customers that they think their revenue is transient and can be easily replaced.

Boraxo Oct 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Just saw this posted, I thought maybe it was April 1 and not October. Or maybe i was dreaming. But nope, the whole program is overhauled and I have no idea what my points are worth now.

I guess it's time to burn and then head back to Marriott/SPG.

footastic Oct 27, 2016 11:28 pm

I don't think this change is that terrible.

I think the mid-tier is a good middle ground for the folks who are close to the 25 stay/30 night relam. This allows them to have a club access / breakfast while traveling with the family. Not as generious as diamond was but definitely not terrible.

Welcome f&b or points will be missed - I feel the 1000 points was always generous.

I think the no resort fees / free parking during award stays and DSUs on awards is a huge improvement. This more than offsets the losses in my mind.

hdfdisk Oct 27, 2016 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by footastic (Post 27402960)
I don't think this change is that terrible.

I think the mid-tier is a good middle ground for the folks who are close to the 25 stay/30 night relam. This allows them to have a club access / breakfast while traveling with the family. Not as generious as diamond was but definitely not terrible.

Welcome f&b or points will be missed - I feel the 1000 points was always generous.

I think the no resort fees / free parking during award stays and DSUs on awards is a huge improvement. This more than offsets the losses in my mind.

I think Hyatt probably calculated if they award 4 DSU to someone spent 100/night for 25 nights, the corp may be literally losing money for each of these customer.

gengar Oct 27, 2016 11:47 pm

So very glad I dumped HGP previously.

Kacee Oct 27, 2016 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 27402943)
But presumably the poster worried about the DSUs did qualify as Diamond and thus will be Globalist for the next year.

Some people do care about 2018. Just because I'm only looking one year ahead doesn't mean that others with long-term commitment to Hyatt shouldn't be upset about these changes.

Nobody likes a smart-....

footastic Oct 27, 2016 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by hdfdisk (Post 27402974)
I think Hyatt probably calculated if they award 4 DSU to someone spent 100/night for 25 nights, the corp may be literally losing money for each of these customer.

Yep

Diamond could be attained for 2300$ On stays - plus 85-90k points earned if you hit a promo. Then 4 DSUs for aspirational properties. Can see why they would cut this.

Also I think this will help with overcrowding in clubs.

I don't know - I'm lucky to have hyatts at most of the locations I travel for work so 70-80 nights is pretty easy.

hdfdisk Oct 28, 2016 12:01 am

Originally Posted by footastic (Post 27403026)
Yep

Diamond could be attained for 2300$ On stays - plus 85-90k points earned if you hit a promo. Then 4 DSUs for aspirational properties. Can see why they would cut this.

Also I think this will help with overcrowding in clubs.

I don't know - I'm lucky to have hyatts at most of the locations I travel for work so 70-80 nights is pretty easy.

The two place I mostly travel to in Asia has some great Hyatt properties so 60 nights is easily attainable to me.

And then I would be gladly use point award in Hawaii and apply a DSU to it....

I like this changes so much