Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I am not a wealthy individual; I teach English and humanities at a university, and I would be embarrassed posting how little I make per year. I know I am not going to bring in massive revenue for Hyatt. However, I should be exactly the kind of traveler Hyatt would want to attract:

1. I spend a huge proportion of my disposable income on travel
2. I travel only within the US
3. I almost only (98% of the time) travel to cities with Hyatts
4. Heck, I plan most of my travel around Hyatt properties

Shouldn't Hyatt want to encourage this travel pattern as much as humanly possible?
It's not about travel patterns, it's about revenue. Hyatt can make far more money off of 50,000 sugar daddies/sugar mommies than a million people like you (me).

Just burn through your points, enjoy 2017, and find something else to do from 2018 onwards.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
So confused.

So as a diamond who normally does about 35 nights 25 stays a year, this is lousy for me.

What I don't get is where I stand this year. I'm at 21 stays / 29 nights. Should I even try re qualifying for Diamond, or is the cutoff at time of announcement? It's clear as mud as to whether I can even requal for diamond prior to EOY and get Globalist for 2017. Does anyone know?

Also just got the card - to multiply some points and try and hold on to Platinum. Boy do I feel taken - only getting entry tier.. Completely considering cancelling the card before I even use it and going full Marriott next year.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just watched the video. So how exactly does WoH revolve around me?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by austin_modern
well, since they also pay for 300 bucks (IIRC) worth of airline/flight expenses... you're really only out 150. If you've also had them pay for your global entry/whatnot thats another 100 off the top. You're basically getting gold for free-ish.

I had the old one - not the new one.

The map for these 3-500/yr black cards isnt too bad if you're actually traveling.
Thats true about the 300 bucks of expenses (i had forgotten about that). I have free excess with a few airlines so I dont tend to use it much. But your point is correct.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Does anyone know if the Lifetime status will be retained? I know that exisiting lifetime Diamonds will be Lifetime Globalists, but if I achieve the 1 million base points next year (I am very close), will I get Lifetime Globalist.

Also, I read in the program terms that the 4 suite upgrades (DSU's) will not be given annually to anyone with multiple year status - does that mean Lifetime Globalists don't get 4 DSU's each year in the future?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually it's not a bad corporate marketing-speak response.

They felt they needed to cut benefits and figured people would be least upset if they cut that one. Which is probably accurate.
What I find interesting and somewhat troubling is the mid tier which is essentially where I think a lot of Diamonds fall. The to move up to what current Diamonds receive is disproportionally higher.

As far as crowds go if for example you visit a RC at a resort you will din as many as 50% people getting in are from their rate, especially Asian travelers they sell the RC access blended into their rate. The food and beverage offering has slimmed down the past two years, if one has Marriott access their clubrooms offer far superior service and offering. Example hot breakfast eggs and bacon.

I enjoy Lifetime Marriott PLT so I have options. But I would not be surprised if this program was tweaked a bit.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcp1
So as a diamond who normally does about 35 nights 25 stays a year, this is lousy for me.

What I don't get is where I stand this year. I'm at 21 stays / 29 nights. Should I even try re qualifying for Diamond, or is the cutoff at time of announcement? It's clear as mud as to whether I can even requal for diamond prior to EOY and get Globalist for 2017. Does anyone know?

Also just got the card - to multiply some points and try and hold on to Platinum. Boy do I feel taken - only getting entry tier.. Completely considering cancelling the card before I even use it and going full Marriott next year.
If you do four more stays this year (or 21 more nights) you will have Globalist status from March 1, 2017 through February 28, 2018.

If you do not, because you are currently Diamond, you will soft land to Explorist status from March 1, 2017 through February 28, 2018.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, is "soft-landing" a one time deal, or a permanent part of World of Hyatt going forward?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:51 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by barnetda
I have that card but at $350 p.a i think i am going to cancel it .Gold is a nice perk but not sure its worth $350 .
But is it worth a one night stay with SPG

http://www.worldcard.mastercard.com/...red-guest.html
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 48pager
Shortly after earning Hilton Lifetime Diamond status, I moved a fair amount of my stays to Hyatt several years ago and have been a Diamond member with you each year. This new program, while awarding your most frequent, loyal and profitable guests (top 1%-3%?), penalizes the masses. For a hotel company whose geographical footprint is vastly overshadowed by its primary competitors by a factor of five, this decision is a head scratcher for me. There's no question Hyatt is a premium brand, but the space you aspire to compete in with this program is much better suited for your Park Hyatt and Andaz brands. I'm certain the powers that be concluded this was the best move.
true. Have loved being a diamond with Hyatt and appreciated the benefits. Unfortunately, staying more is not an option for me given their footprint.

Sour taste for once from Hyatt. Guess I will be resigned to using my accumulated 600k+ points as a non-elite, and shifting stays to Hilton and Marriott/SPG
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
well, since they also pay for 300 bucks (IIRC) worth of airline/flight expenses... you're really only out 150. If you've also had them pay for your global entry/whatnot thats another 100 off the top. You're basically getting gold for free-ish.

I had the old one - not the new one.

The map for these 3-500/yr black cards isnt too bad if you're actually traveling.
Plus the $100 off two tickets (up to five, but the sweet spot is two) is a real plus - even if you use it only twice a year, you are already ahead of the game.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Lets say you went nuts and hotel hopped for 60 nights... thats 60k points if you were able to do so with 1W bonuses.
Who you calling nuts!

51 of my 63 nights this year had the 1W bonus... and I am not even including the 500 web booking bonus I am now earning (11K so far). I for one is losing lots.

I may get to 60 by Dec....
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:53 pm

Well, thanks Hyatt. This announcement just saved me a bunch of time planning for Q1 trips. The limited property @Hyatt was worrisome but with this it's no brainer to continue with SPG for next year at least.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
If you do four more stays this year (or 21 more nights) you will have Globalist status from March 1, 2017 through February 28, 2018.

If you do not, because you are currently Diamond, you will soft land to Explorist status from March 1, 2017 through February 28, 2018.
So that's confirmed? We can still requal for "diamond" until 12/31? The thing that confuses me is they talk about "2016 activity", as if 2016 activity will somehow be under the new rules, not old. I'd hate to give Hyatt the business and still land at mid-tier. But If so, I'll finish out the year and burn points all next year.

Is anyone aware of the card can be "converted" to another Chase card, such as the Marriott?

Looks like 2017 will be all point-burning and my last year as a Hyatt loyalist.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I can understand some folks' frustrations with the changes. And possibly I just don't understand the current Gold Passport program well enough. But isn't the new program good for mid-tiers in that the new Explorists (oh, those new category titles ) will get the following better benefits than current Platinums:

1. Lounge access for four stays and up to 28 nights per year, including award stays.
2. Subject to availability, guaranteed upgrades to the best available room, short of suites/club level.

Or am I missing something?
Yes. You're assuming that Explorist maps to current Platinum. It does not. It matches to what people are currently doing to score Diamond (30 nights). So for the number of stays where many currently get DSUs, lounge access on all stays, breakfast, and best available room at check-in, now they will not. To get those benefits will now require 60 nights, which as has been pointed out dozens of times already, can be rather difficult given Hyatt's small footprint.

Moreover, with no breakfast benefit, the new Hyatt mid-tier is weaker than either Hilton or Marriott. Hilton and Marriott Golds nearly always get lounge access as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.