FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Not surprising at all if you understand the bloggers' business model.
But their real business model is to build readership long-term. That would imply good reporting.

I think the bloggers are all just thinking short-term. They want the personal perks that Zidell can give them for their next stays, so they hesitate to criticize him.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
But their real business model is to build readership long-term. That would imply good reporting.

I think the bloggers are all just thinking short-term. They want the personal perks that Zidell can give them for their next stays, so they hesitate to criticize him.
It's still too early to determine how bad it's going to be for those of you who previously qualified for diamond, honestly. And the bloggers know this. Look closely at the definition of base points on Hyatt's website. It now says that points from promotions will count as bonus not base points (unless specifically stated in the promo terms otherwise) inviting the possibility that there will be promotions offered to obtain base points.

In the blink of an eye, Hyatt can get back whatever customer base they feel benefits them through this clause, without killing their program. They could run limited time promos where points purchased will count towards base points for status.

They could (and if you ask me, probably will) introduce an option to pay a fee to roll forward a certain number of base points year over year. That would be ingenious of them - 100 times better than any mattress run for them - just free money.

The reality is, we could all probably come up with 50+ different things that could be done keeping what's already been announced in tact but making the qualification terms more realistic.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Twinmommy19
In the blink of an eye, Hyatt can get back whatever customer base they feel benefits them through this clause, without killing their program. They could run limited time promos where points purchased will count towards base points for status.
Blink of an eye? They just pushed away a lot of customers. Yes, they can do that and I have speculated about double-qualifying-night-promos earlier in this thread. But if they offer some sort "make it easier to qualify" promo some time next year, many customers will have already disengaged and focused elsewhere.

They could (and if you ask me, probably will) introduce an option to pay a fee to roll forward a certain number of base points year over year. That would be ingenious of them - 100 times better than any mattress run for them - just free money.
Pay a fee this year to earn status next year to get unspecified benefits the year after that? Not going to pay (bet) any significant amount for that, sorry.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
In addition to all those changes that I don't see very favourably, especially as a European based traveller, I just don't get it WHY on earth existing Diamond members (so turning into Globalists at 1st March 2017) have to requalify for the first time in 2017 with 60 nights too, and not the 55 nights like from there on. So they turn it into a complete new program and say you have to qualify like everyone else. No head start for former Diamond members.

I'm more likely to achieve the 60 nights than not, however, I better hope that the recognition as a Globalist is as advertised and the service is delivered accordingly, because otherwise I certainly need to reevaluate the whole "loyalty" thing and just go for the best price or book via FHR, etc.
A further problem is that 2017 will have many Diamonds turned Globalists, so suites at check in could be tough to get. The numbers could give people a bad impression during this "taste of Globalist" transition year, although if I understand the rules correctly, Diamonds with less that 60 nights in 2016 or 60 nights in January and February of 2017 won't be assigned a My Hyatt Concierge until they hit 60 nights during 2017. For those of us with Private Line Agents, this transition period could be rough.

Then, in 2018, there will be few Globalists due to the 60 night requirement, with the numbers gradually rising in later years as some new ones enter with 60+ nights while others requalify with 55+ nights.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A further problem is that 2017 will have many Diamonds turned Globalists, so suites at check in could be tough to get.
The new program won't make any difference... you are kidding yourself thinking that properties will upgrade to suites any more than they do now.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Over time, all of the main bloggers have gotten a lot closer with credit card companies, airlines and hotel chains. They are still useful, but it seems like none of the bloggers want to risk giving up access to all their referral bonuses, free rooms, one-on-one meetings with top executives, etc., so now I just read everything with a bit more skepticism.
That issue is not entirely unique to the bloggers. There has been some concern that it's an issue on FT too even beyond just those blogging. Not biting your sources and those capable of doing you favors happens beyond just on the blogs.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by RTW1
The new program won't make any difference... you are kidding yourself thinking that properties will upgrade to suites any more than they do now.
Right now suite upgrades without a DSU are pretty rare for me (the one property that used to always give me a suite cut that out a year ago), so I'm guessing it has to change somewhat or everyone will be even more upset than they already are.

This was one of the few redeeming qualities of the new program (along with DSUs working for award nights), so I don't think they can afford to have this benefit be a total flop.

Not saying it will be great, but I'd be shocked if suite upgrades for globalist didn't increase quite a bit.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RTW1
I would tend to agree with that.

I don't think they can afford to have this benefit be a total flop.
It's the properties that decide, not Hyatt management.

Not saying it will be great, but I'd be shocked if suite upgrades for globalist didn't increase quite a bit.
If they're not giving discretionary upgrades now, I see no reason to expect discretionary upgrades in the future. It's already a challenge at many properties to get the "best available" room at check-in and that's a non-discretionary benefit.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:02 pm

This was one of the few redeeming qualities of the new program (along with DSUs working for award nights), so I don't think they can afford to have this benefit be a total flop.

Maybe, but might be wishful thinking. Everyone, consider...

Suites are a fixed and (very?) limited commodity at any given property. If WoH changes increase the number who "should" get a suite, but the number of suites remains fixed...well, many will naturally lose. And, of course, any suite that is bought and paid for, or reserved with real money full-rate guarantee, is naturally taken out of the running (especially during conventions/conferences). So, with high demand but limited supply, what to do? An impacted property can say, too bad nothing available, or, redefine "suite"...maybe two ordinary rooms with a connecting door (or, perhaps move the bed out of a connecting room, put in a table, and call it a "business suite"?) Complaints? Sure, but after finding out at check-in, the excuse will be that's what was available, and any complaints can be taken up with GP corporate -- in other words, let them take the heat. At least for 2017, properties can blame the sudden Globalist transition surge. Corporate will adopt a wait-and-see during transition year. Lots of apologies: "It's a transition year, sorry, it'll get better next year. Thank you for your continued loyalty." Yes, maybe eventually, after enough complaints, the property might get a talking to...eventually. And that's the key -- it will likely be a long time (years?) before seeing a reliable increase in real suite availability, if any, particularly at impacted properties. Meanwhile, Hyatt's got your (increased?) business. Promises, promises.

Also, as others pointed out, for next year many Diamonds will be Globalist, and eligible for suites, too, so the pool of "demand" is going to suddenly exceed "supply" starting March 1, 2017. Add to that anyone leaving or downgrading who is burning points, awards, etc. So, get more suite upgrades in 2017? Maybe for some, with luck, if hitting a property at the right time, or one that isn't popular. 2018? Maybe slightly more luck. 2019 and beyond? Well...willing to look forward to maybe more suite upgrades in a few years, if you maintain a high(er) tier meanwhile?

And, BTW, also consider award space (and P+C) availability, already a limited commodity, especially next year. Particularly at popular destinations. With added people burning points, demand is likely to be very high. Made reservations, yet? Booked flights? Maybe too late, if trying for high season, especially. Perhaps the strategy needs to be to plan on a 2+ year horizon, and ensure maintaining the new required tier qualifications for at least that long, in order to see maybe some guarantee of benefit. If you're lucky enough to know you will for sure qualify for the new tiers for the next few years, I bow to you, a true road warrior. Or maybe, that should be condolences, for knowing you'll spend so much of life (or someone's money?) the next couple years, away from home...at a Hyatt, guaranteed?

Oh, and don't forget, if the various threads and hints from Hyatt are correct, everyone will need to essentially qualify for the new tiers at the new "hurdle" qualification levels starting next year, in order to get that tier in 2018 (i.e. 60 nights/US$20K spend for Globalist, not 55 nights). So, next year, everyone starts over under the new WoH, no shortcuts -- prove you're worthy -- then in 2018, maybe you'll start to see some improvements.

So, betting against the house? Assume Hyatt is wrong, and the number of WoH members and demand nights drops significantly? But if they're right, and the numbers stay substantially the same or increase (i.e. more Globalists, or Globalists staying more often), will things really change on the availability front? Which way will you bet your loyalty spend?

(Apologies to spgplat21. This rant not directed to you. )
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I guess I have a concern if properties are going to withhold suites from those available with DSU's or 6,000 point suite upgrades in order to make spur of the moment suites available to those just checking in.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I guess I have a concern if properties are going to withhold suites from those available with DSU's or 6,000 point suite upgrades in order to make spur of the moment suites available to those just checking in.
They seem to be pretty stingy in the US as it is. If you point out the wide open availability, they very reluctantly give you an upgrade, even though you have a guaranteed upgrade upon availability using your concierge, along with your status.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A further problem is that 2017 will have many Diamonds turned Globalists, so suites at check in could be tough to get. The numbers could give people a bad impression during this "taste of Globalist" transition year, although if I understand the rules correctly, Diamonds with less that 60 nights in 2016 or 60 nights in January and February of 2017 won't be assigned a My Hyatt Concierge until they hit 60 nights during 2017. For those of us with Private Line Agents, this transition period could be rough.
Whoa -- that tears it for me. That's a real minimum of 64 nights including the "free" ones that come with 30 nights, 60 nights, 5 brands and HCC. That's before redeeming points, which brings the real number to about 75 nights.

And for what? A worse program than exists now.

Insanity.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Just waiting for the inevitable status match frenzy that will occur after the major drop off in elites occurs :P
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
One way Hyatt is wildly overplaying their hand is the "have to" factor.

I would surmise that there are no cities in the world where you would "have to" stay at a Hyatt, due to no suitable MR/SPG/HH properties. So many of us sought out the Hyatt, even when it was less convenient and/or more expensive.

And how many cities are there with no Hyatt option at all, but MR/SPG/HH are all there.

I see a perfect storm of business migrating away from Hyatt. HGP mitigated the frustration and expense of seeking out the Hyatt. With everything good removed, many will simply not bother.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
One way Hyatt is wildly overplaying their hand is the "have to" factor.

I would surmise that there are no cities in the world where you would "have to" stay at a Hyatt, due to no suitable MR/SPG/HH properties.
Hakone, Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.