Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Based on recent posts (May 2023) the Grand Club is open with a nice-looking evening spread and is accessible via room key at other times.

AirTrain is generally recommended, but if you really want to walk from the terminals to the hotel, it's entirely possible (pictorial instructions in post 344)
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:23 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Is The Grand Hyatt SFO Failing in a number of Regards?

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
She had said she would do what she could, non committal
Really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and warn other Globalists about what they may expect.
Disappointed and saddened to hear of your experience.
I've already canceled one of my two bookings there just hearing a number of concerns from yourself & others
This sounds much like the first few years of the Park Hyatt New York where there was a hostile stance against Globalists with a hard up sell to suites before and at check-in
A lack of ownership taken period with guest experience overall
Today with new management the PH NYC is a much better friendlier elite friendly hotel.
I won't go on about the Globalist breakfast benefit though thats been beaten to death and highly emotional for some hating or loving it

My question to the community is does the tab even begin to justify the experience for a Globalist @ Grand Hyatt SFO?
I'm considering cancelling my last 400 dollar night @ GH SFO.As a result of the reviews I've read
I could hire a chauffeured limousine for that price and stay at the Le Meridien,Marriott or the Grand Hyatt Downtown and still come out ahead
I've always had satisfactory experiences at Hyatt Regency SFO despite some small bumps in the road over the decades
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:24 pm

Are These comments fair & accurate I've seen at Trip ADV?

Arrived at 1am to clueless front desk with no directions to room so ended up in basement.
As a globalist checked into tiny room with cheap porcelain tile and a floor that stinks from the rain!
This is NOT a category 5 hotel and the only reason it is Hyatt wants to rip you off because it is connected to the tram!
It is an airport shoe box! Nothing more with clueless staff!

They Got the location noting else except for that
I will stay at this hotel again to travel to SFO the day before a flight, or to rest up after arriving on a long international flight.
They Got the location noting else except for that
As long at the room rate was no more than $200.

Rooms are nice. Public areas are well done. Nice views.
Water pressure and temperature control are terrible.
If a good shower in important, not a great hotel for you. If washing off with either a trickle of cold water, or being blasted by very hot water is for you, the shower is great.

The location is great for going in and out of the airport and easily accessible to the city. They need to pay attention to detail there doesn’t seem to be consistency.
As for the restaurant the service is very poor and cold food was not what I ordered.

The hotel is beautiful and in an incredible location. SFO was severely lacking anything like this - the accessibility is wonderful and I was pleased to not have to leave the airport for my stay.
The entry is stunning and every detail is artfully appointed. Room facing the terminal was nice to watch the international flights coming in and out. Bed was comfortable.

I had been to the restaurant for a drink when the hotel first opened and things seemed very cohesive, the staff well-trained and attentive.
It was the reason for me to return. Now, it seems chaotic. For a high-end restaurant, I would expect that my server (Grace) was trained.
It seems like she has never spent a day in a restaurant in her life, let alone in a fine dining environment.
I could have got better service in the terminal at a quick-service stand. The management was nonexistent for the duration of my visit, staff aimlessly involved in other things,
and when I asked to speak to a manager (Joy) she was dismissive and cold about my concerns with Grace and my experience.
This restaurant went from promising to complete disaster in a matter of months. Where is everyone who opened the hotel? Seems they all left along with the charm of this place. Wouldn't return.

Another identity oddity: there is no top sheet between you and the comforter. The comforter is encased in a duvet but, that means 2 things:

1 - You either have a full comforter over you or nothing
2 - The hotel needs/should be changing the duvet cover EVERY time a guest checks out or else the next guest is sleeping on same bedding that previous gu

Staff needs more training. Hotel is very convenient to the airport, just take the Airtrain to your terminal.
Rooms are nice but expensive. Paid extra for a larger room with runway view but it had more of a freeway view.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like the night manager was an idiot, although I've seen some bad examples of a manager on duty coming from catering or special event/group sales.

At midnight the ADA suite should certainly be given to an arriving elite. If someone needs ADA features, they should (and probably do) reserve an ADA room that meets their needs at least several days in advance. Moreover, ADA suites are a real specialty category that give special needs guests the possibility of obtaining a suite and might be required in some properties, but often are the last open room or suite available at the property. I've had free elite upgrades many times into ADA suites, although sometimes the agent will ask specifically if I'm willing to take the ADA type, which often is located on a low floor near the elevator/stairs and might not have the usual shower and/or bathtub in addition to the additional space and wider doorways, low rods in the closet, low peephole, low lightswitches in some older properties, and sometimes light indications for doorbells and phones.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You said it was "the manager" but what was the person's exact title? I doubt that it was the GM. IMO you should contact the VIP person and perhaps also the property's GM. A Glob upgrade should not feel like bargaining in some tacky street market in a third world city.

BTW, AFAIK designation as an ADA room/suite does not change whether the room should be available as a Glob upgrade, although of course we should all avoid booking or requesting ADA rooms if we don't need their special features. I don't believe that every ADA suite is considered premium.
Well said
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:01 pm

In terms of the price/night being justified:. In my opinion the hard product is really very good. The suites are nicely sized and it have beautiful views. I really like the gym as well.

I think the lounge is also very nice although food quality at the Hyatt regency SFO is also very good. For me the price was justified when they were taking such good care of me, last night was really horrible in my opinion.

In terms of the water pressure I would agree it's not strong the rainfall shower head has a very gentle drip. Handheld shower though as a decent level pressure so I don't mind it that much.

The comforter situation doesn't bother me I honestly don't notice but I think they're right I think there's a comforter and a sheet not a sheet comforter than a sheet.

The Hyatt regency is actually where I was going to check into it's half the price of the Grand Hyatt SFO and since they weren't willing to take care of me I knew I could at least save my company some money by going there. Standard rooms at the Hyatt regency are much larger than standard rooms at the Grand Hyatt SFO. The comments about the tiny shoebox rooms at the Grand Hyatt SFO are true, that's where they put me in last night until they moved me.

Just finishing my rant on last night, the night manager not only accompanied me to my room but insisted to show me what an ADA suite is and why it's different than a normal room. Which I guess is an okay gesture but I didn't appreciate him walking into my bathroom with his shoes on and dirtying up the floor. I'm one of those people that don't like to wear their shoes around the room.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like the night manager was an idiot, although I've seen some bad examples of a manager on duty coming from catering or special event/group sales.

At midnight the ADA suite should certainly be given to an arriving elite. If someone needs ADA features, they should (and probably do) reserve an ADA room that meets their needs at least several days in advance. Moreover, ADA suites are a real specialty category that give special needs guests the possibility of obtaining a suite and might be required in some properties, but often are the last open room or suite available at the property. I've had free elite upgrades many times into ADA suites, although sometimes the agent will ask specifically if I'm willing to take the ADA type, which often is located on a low floor near the elevator/stairs and might not have the usual shower and/or bathtub in addition to the additional space and wider doorways, low rods in the closet, low peephole, low lightswitches in some older properties, and sometimes light indications for doorbells and phones.
The night manager said he used to work at a Hyatt place. Which I think explains the treatment...
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The night manager said he used to work at a Hyatt place. Which I think explains the treatment...
It sounds to me like the GM needs to train this subordinate appropriately, given that the GM presumably decided to hire someone from a HP. I would also add the night manager's inappropriate attitudes should have been revealed during the hiring/interview process. Please send this employee back to McD/subway/Motel6/etc. This is not someone who should have a management position in a GH.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:11 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
... this time I really did need a suite ...
You said you really did need a suite, but you were unwilling to book one, using either cash, points or a suite upgrade ? Then you're unhappy that they won't give you a complementary premium suite ? It sounds like you pushed and eventually got what you wanted, but ...
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by skj
You said you really did need a suite, but you were unwilling to book one, using either cash, points or a suite upgrade ? Then you're unhappy that they won't give you a complementary premium suite ? It sounds like you pushed and eventually got what you wanted, but ...
Am unhappy at the interaction, it was midnight, i have stayed at this hotel 20 nights since it opened, and i really needed a suite. They started at $500, then asked for a tsu, then went to $100 then to $80 after i i refused each of the options. They basically valued my loyalty at $80*5=400, which for me felt like nickel and diming. If you don't want to give me a suite say it's policy and stick with it, but when you value my loyalty at $400 at your nightly rate is 2X the rate of the Hyatt regency SFO just down the road then you are telling me you don't care about my loyalty.

I guess i felt given my loyalty to this hotel they would have come through and not made it feel like such a bad transaction..almost like night market bargaining for a suite. I realize they didn't have to give me a suite but the way the cost went down and down made it seem like they could have (and obviously they did) but just didn't want to.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:53 pm

Am unhappy at the interaction, it was midnight, i have stayed at this hotel 20 nights since it opened, and i really needed a suite. They started at $500, then asked for a tsu, then went to $100 then to $80 after i i refused each of the options. They basically valued my loyalty at $80*5=400, which for me felt like nickel and diming. If you don't want to give me a suite say it's policy and stick with it, but when you value my loyalty at $400 at your nightly rate is 2X the rate of the Hyatt regency SFO just down the road then you are telling me you don't care about my loyalty.

I guess i felt given my loyalty to this hotel they would have come through and not made it feel like such a bad transaction..almost like night market bargaining for a suite. I realize they didn't have to give me a suite but the way the cost went down and down made it seem like they could have (and obviously they did) but just didn't want to.
You sure have and I couldn't agree more
A new hotel should be bending over backwards at that time of night with someone as loyal as you are to Hyatt and be
peppering it with words like its our please to accommodate you etc
Let me say even if the hotel needs hospitality and charm school Thank You for your loyalty to Hyatt, this forum and your helpful contributions
so we can make our own decision to stay or not!
I canceled and booked my reservation Downtown and will tour it instead at a later date. After your experience I don't want stress with my intended 1 AM arrival
It will also be to late to experience the lounge
I've also heard its a hassle to get a direct Air-train at that time for all those reasons I am out and my pockets deeper!
Your information was perfect timing for my final decision making
Cheers
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:17 pm

I was there last week and got a Junior suite even though suites weren't even showing as available. it was really nice.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Many staff at this property are inexperienced, and some lack basic customer service skills. You may encounter same anywhere in Bay Area these days due to the very tight labor market. Businesses are hiring down to levels they would prefer not to.

The rooms are nice. The shower heads are horrible. Flow restrictors are a fact of life in California, but this property chose an incompatible shower head. They should all be replaced. The property seems to have fixed the issues with the motion sensitive lights that I complained about after my first stay.

Prices are highly variable based on demand. Can by $161 one night, and $400 the next. This is not inconsistent with the SF hotel market in general. There are nights that Marriott Courtyards price over $700. Obviously the value at the high end of the scale is significantly reduced.

I had a positive service recovery after an issue with my assigned room last stay. My general experience is staff and management are eager to please. I certainly do not think it's in the category of either the GH or HR SF, both of which have a history of gaming the system, denying upgrades, and otherwise treating Diamonds/Globalists rather poorly.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:00 pm

I'm writing a letter detailing the interaction to the GM, i agree shower heads are bleh but I can deal. To be fair the food offerings in the lounge tonight were outstanding, arancini, two kinds of chicken wings and eel and avocado sushi (my fave).
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm writing a letter detailing the interaction to the GM, i agree shower heads are bleh but I can deal. To be fair the food offerings in the lounge tonight were outstanding, arancini, two kinds of chicken wings and eel and avocado sushi (my fave).
Maybe a regional VP would care more. GM's response will probably be make or break for your future stays with this property.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Maybe a regional VP would care more. GM's response will probably be make or break for your future stays with this property.
Agree that my future week long monthly stays will hinge on the response bc as of now hyatt regency sf is tops. I don't have a regional vp contact besides Pete Sears and i think he is group president. If you have a contact and wouldn't mind pming i will send the letter to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.