Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:37 pm

Mosquitoes?

HI all - have a trip upcoming in Jan but wife and I are a little unsure given Zika virus - anyone been there really recently? Like this past month?

Anyone know if the property sprays/does pest control for this? I know CUN is on the beach and this time of year, but we are a bit nervous and not sure how to analyze the true risks.

Just looking for actual first hand experience/knowledge of the resort recently or if they do spray for mosquitoes?

TIA!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:05 pm

Was there at thanksgiving and no bugs whatsoever.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mariobey
Debating between the Zilara/Ziva for my wife and I.

We are trying to rank pools, atmosphere, beach/ocean, room type, and restaurants be our factors for deciding.

No upgrades available at either, so it would be standard rooms at both if that helps.
I stayed at both properties and I would say both have their pros/cons.

Overall, both are very nice properties and I would not hesitate going back to either of them.
So to your factors, my subjective opinion:
POOLS: Ziva is nicer. You have more pools, a nicer layout, simply a much larger property, more tropical feeling.
ATMOSPHERE: Zilara is adults only, so no kids. Zilara has some loud music and parties around the pool on certain days. I think Tuesdays was a foam party at the pool. Ziva has kids (we were there with our kids also) and I don't know what their adults only section is like.
BEACH/OCEAN:
Both have nice beaches, Zilara is much smaller though. Ziva has beaches on 2 separate sides of the resort and you see water from everywhere. Zilara has all rooms with ocean views which is great as well.
ROOM TYPE: We had basic rooms in both properties. Received some upgrades and both rooms were fine, but nothing special. I would give a slight edge to Ziva rooms, I remember their bathrooms being a bit nicer.
RESTAURANTS: Here, Zilara is a so much better than Ziva that I was at first very disappointed with Ziva (after having stayed at Zilara before). Food quality and variety is simply much, much better at Zilara. They literally had some food options that impressed me on their buffet, like good sushi and Jamon Iberico. So if this matters a lot to you, you should choose Zilara. On the other hand, outdoor seating at restaurants is better at Ziva. Zilara has the specialty restaurants all with inside seating only whereas Ziva has some options for outdoor dining as well. The Ziva restaurants sound great, but then when you actually dine there, the food quality can be quite disappointing like the brewery with awful beer (I am German, I can judge!) or the Diner that looks very cute but has really poor food. To compare with a few other all inclusive resorts, I have stayed at, I would rank food quality as follows:
1. Hyatt Zilara Cancun
2. Riu Palace Mexico and Riu Palace Riviera Maya
3. Hyatt Ziva Cancun
4. Hilton Rose Hall Jamaica
Of course, this is very subjectice, but I hope it helps in your decision making. But either way, with the expectations set correctly, you will have a great time at both properties.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:18 pm

Lightbulb

Need some advise. Planning to do a 4 night AI at Cancun Ziva for 2 adults and 2 kids (11 and 9). Have 2 + 2 chase free nights on Chase signup.

I read Hyatt allows extra kids without any any additional points/cash while using chase free nights. Is it still true ? What is the best option to book .. It seems they are not bookable online. So, does twitter/facebook work ? Can I combine the two reservations (of 2 each) and be in the same room ? Any perks for Platinum ?

Appreciate help.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ftbargain
Need some advise. Planning to do a 4 night AI at Cancun Ziva for 2 adults and 2 kids (11 and 9). Have 2 + 2 chase free nights on Chase signup.

I read Hyatt allows extra kids without any any additional points/cash while using chase free nights. Is it still true ? What is the best option to book .. It seems they are not bookable online. So, does twitter/facebook work ? Can I combine the two reservations (of 2 each) and be in the same room ? Any perks for Platinum ?

Appreciate help.
You will have to call in to book the reservation, no real perks for Platinum or even Diamond which has lounge access but is not all that big a deal at AI.
I'm not sure about the extra points for children but I'm sure there are others here who can answer it. Have fun!!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Chase free nights should allow 4 persons per room. So you should be fine.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Any recent DPs on upgrading a Free Night (CC-based) stay upon check-in? I emailed in advance and got the standard "will see whats available when you get here" - but curious what success/cost/options people have had. Heading there this weekend.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by levilevi
Any recent DPs on upgrading a Free Night (CC-based) stay upon check-in? I emailed in advance and got the standard "will see whats available when you get here" - but curious what success/cost/options people have had. Heading there this weekend.
Nothing here, but it would be great if you could report back and let us know. TIA!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:39 pm

Points reservations with kids 3+

I just tried to call and book a reservation with gold passport points for myself, wife, and 2 kids (one is less than a year old and the other will be 3 years old).

The agent told me that when booking with points, it would be 25,000 base rate plus 12,500 extra for each kid regardless of age...so 50,000 points a night for one room!

It seems the chase free nights include kids 3+ but has anybody had any success booking with points for 25,000 a night and no extra charge for kids under 13?

This is still a ridiculous policy to charge as much for two small kids as two grown adults.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:12 am

I tired to book a stay at Ziva using chase signup bonus nights via twitter and they keep on saying that they dont have access to the CC on file to confirm the reservation. I've a CC saved on my hyatt gold passport profile, but not sure why they cant access it to confirm the reservation. Has anyone recently booked via HyattConceirge twitter ?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:24 am

Just returned from a 4 night stay - on the Free night upgrade - at checkin at the Club tower desk, I asked politely, they offered a Corner Suite for a higher price than I was looking to pay but I took a look at the suite, said I was looking to spend less , and ultimately got it for about $150 USD /night - well worth the upgrade.

Hotel seemed relatively high occupancy and talking to butler, staff they said that week had picked up after a light December.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:25 am

FYI - I had posted questions around the forum here and in Mexico travel forum about Zika, mosquitoes, etc... it was *very* windy while we were there, but not a single mosquito of bug for that matter anywhere on property (except for a few ants and even THEY were hard ot find).

Excellent property, service, etc.

Not one to type up a full review - but having just been there and time to explore most of the property (and knowing people in 2 different towers and seeing rooms etc) I'm happy to respond to any q's.

Last edited by levilevi; Jan 16, 2017 at 1:57 pm Reason: ETA feel free to ask q's
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:29 pm

Just returned from a 4 night stay - on the Free night upgrade - at checkin at the Club tower desk, I asked politely, they offered a Corner Suite for a higher price than I was looking to pay but I took a look at the suite, said I was looking to spend less , and ultimately got it for about $150 USD /night - well worth the upgrade.

Hotel seemed relatively high occupancy and talking to butler, staff they said that week had picked up after a light December.
Thank you for following up. Do you have any status with Hyatt? I'm assuming at least Plat, since you had free nights. I wonder if that affected the cost of upgrading.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by concuss
Thank you for following up. Do you have any status with Hyatt? I'm assuming at least Plat, since you had free nights. I wonder if that affected the cost of upgrading.
I have Plat and they mentioned that b/c I'm a Plat member they could offer XXXX... part of the negotiation
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:22 pm

Ziva with 3 kids

So, I'm planning Cancun with wife and three kids (6, 9, 12). Looks like our only option at Ziva is 2 separate rooms or Pyramid Suite. What do you guys think the best strategy is? Can use points or money for a five night stay. I'm Diamond now but will no longer be in the summer when we travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.