Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Scottsdale Resort & Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Scottsdale Resort & Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any high level comparisons here vs. the HR Gainey Ranch?

While I would always lean towards a Andaz generally, bigger / more dynamic pool scene of the HR (waterslide, etc.) along with "brighter" rooms has me thinking. Similar Q4 rates.
Neither. I've stayed at most of the better properties in the valley and neither of these makes the list IMO.

The biggest issues I have at Andaz is that the rooms are very dark and you're sealed in with the air conditioning, with no sliding doors or screens to enjoy the Arizona light and air. Also not a fan of the landscaping . . . lawns really don't belong in the desert. A shame because the location is great. Staff are generally affable, but the service is hit or miss and overall I would barely call 4*.

Gainey Ranch is for families. The reports on T/A are that they're currently letting in locals for fee to use the pools and waterslide in the hopes of increasing spending at the restaurants and bars.

I had a decent stay at Royal Palms the other night, but the quality of the rooms is highly variable.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any high level comparisons here vs. the HR Gainey Ranch?

While I would always lean towards a Andaz generally, bigger / more dynamic pool scene of the HR (waterslide, etc.) along with "brighter" rooms has me thinking. Similar Q4 rates.

Thanks.
I've stayed in both. Gainey Ranch used to get a lot of conference business, but it's probably more family/kid friendly, especially with the pools. OTOH, if they're crowded, this might not be good. I remember long indoor corridors with a few sitting areas where the hall became bigger (which was a nice feature during a meeting).

The Andaz has no interior corridors. Every unit (with maybe a couple exceptions) has its own patio area with seating and some dining tables. I had the top category nonsuite room and it also had a walled back patio (perfectly private and good for nude sunbathing) off of my huge bathroom, which had a skylight. I didn't think the room itself was dark and the bathroom was very bright, but I felt that I had to close the room's window coverings for privacy as people walking to their own rooms could see in easily. The single big main pool doesn't have a lot of deck space for social distancing and there is a pool bar there which is semi-outdoors. The ambience was "pool scene" with young adults lounging there to get tans and see and be seen, not swim. If you're concerned about space and want to spend time near the pool, you might want to go for one of the few but expensive rooms overlooking the pool that has its own private cabana attached to the room (as opposed to the handful of regular daily use cabanas right next to the pool. There's a back area of the hotel beyond the spa that's designed for groups with its own smaller pool that doesn't look very attractive; I think that pool is only for occupants of rooms back there (which are more motel style and might not have the patios, etc.---I seem to remember rectangular buildings around the pool when I explored the grounds) when a group (business meeting, wedding, etc.) is in residence. The main pool had some adorable big inflatable toys which got punctured often so YMMV. There had been some connecting units that formed "family" suites but these might have been renovated away and used to create some additional standard real suites.

I liked both properties, but they're very different. Gainey Ranch would be better for families while the Andaz is a more sophisticated adult atmosphere. You might want to check whether these hotels have created additional outdoor dining space as their preCOVID-19 outdoor eating and bar areas seem small relative to the number of rooms in the respective property; it should be possible to do this to enable guests to avoid indoor restaurant meals. Gainey Ranch seems more like a resort complex (those pools! and the lake and golf course view) while the Andaz is a boutique hotel with restaurant/bar and one attractive large-ish pool. The Andaz offers valet parking at the front entrance, but it would be better and safer now to self park in the spaces along the back drive close to your room's door. I didn't have a car during my Gainey Ranch meeting, but I would guess that it's valet.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Every unit (with maybe a couple exceptions) has its own patio area with seating and some dining tables. I had the top category nonsuite room and it also had a walled back patio (perfectly private and good for nude sunbathing) off of my huge bathroom, which had a skylight. I didn't think the room itself was dark and the bathroom was very bright, but I felt that I had to close the room's window coverings for privacy as people walking to their own rooms could see in easily.
That's the Saarinen. I have probably a dozen nights in that room over the past year or so. It's spacious and I like the furnishings but the living area is really dark, especially since (as you note) you have to draw the blinds for privacy. I just find this property really lacking compared to others (such as Sanctuary, the Camelback, Four Seasons, or even the nearby Doubletree) in terms of views and ability to enjoy the desert landscape.
The Andaz offers valet parking at the front entrance, but it would be better and safer now to self park in the spaces along the back drive close to your room's door.
The ability to park near your casita is one of the Andaz's best features IMO. Added bonus, they've never charged me to self-park.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I haven't paid for parking here either.

In Scottsdale, I like Canyon Suites (legacy Starwood LC hotel within a hotel in the Phoenician). Their rooms and suites are big and there's a good choice of pools, restaurants, a few stores (I'm not sure what's open now), and even a cactus garden and a historic building within the resort complex. Golf course too with clubhouse.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
The standard suite at the Andaz Scottsdale has been updated to the 1 bedroom Cattle Track Suite.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Anyone stayed here recently and can comment on whether the spa access provided with a suite is worthwhile? Debating on using a TSU for a two night stay for access to the pool.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Anyone stayed here recently and can comment on whether the spa access provided with a suite is worthwhile? Debating on using a TSU for a two night stay for access to the pool.
IIRC that would be an indoor heated spa pool, right? Everyone gets access to the main pool, which is fairly nice, and there's a second outdoor pool for rooms back in their group/conference area, which is located roughly behind the spa.

I didn't try the spa, but IMO it didn't look specially attractive and it was empty when I explored the hotel upon arrival.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
IIRC that would be an indoor heated spa pool, right? Everyone gets access to the main pool, which is fairly nice, and there's a second outdoor pool for rooms back in their group/conference area, which is located roughly behind the spa.

I didn't try the spa, but IMO it didn't look specially attractive and it was empty when I explored the hotel upon arrival.
None of this is correct.

The spa pool is in a private men and women’s area and both have their own private spa pool and it is extremely nice, quiet and relaxing.

And the retreat pool is now available to all guests. And the actual pool near the gym which was previously only available to spa guests is now adult only.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
None of this is correct..
We're shocked to learn this.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:37 pm

Anyone escaping the LA smoke right now and heading to this property? Seriously considering bugging out there this week - the air quality is terrible and I'm assuming it's better there. Anything new to know about this property in terms of if restaurant is re-opened or not? Wonder what the occupancy is like mid-week in 100+ temps and whether I should use a TSU or will Globalists likely be upgraded to one bedroom suite?

Also curious since @Kacee you mentioned the units are dark...is that ALL the units including the suites? If so, a bummer!

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by madderlake
Anyone escaping the LA smoke right now and heading to this property? Seriously considering bugging out there this week - the air quality is terrible and I'm assuming it's better there. Anything new to know about this property in terms of if restaurant is re-opened or not? Wonder what the occupancy is like mid-week in 100+ temps and whether I should use a TSU or will Globalists likely be upgraded to one bedroom suite?

Also curious since @Kacee you mentioned the units are dark...is that ALL the units including the suites? If so, a bummer!
I'm currently at Royal Palms and will be in the valley for much of the next two weeks (VRBO for next week). Air quality is much better than CA and temps are down from summer peak.

I'm not a big fan of the rooms at Andaz, but the location is very good. Lots of nearby dining options. The Cattletrack suites are not as dark as the Saarinen rooms. It's a pleasant enough place overall and certainly preferable (IMO) to being trapped indoors in California.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:29 pm

@Kacee - thank you! It's funny because the weather app on my iPhone says Scottsdale is going to be in the 100's all week... but maybe that's not the case like you're saying? (gosh I hope you're right!) Regardless though, like you said - anything is better at this point than being trapped indoors in LA which is getting worse by the day.

I'm looking at the Royal Palms too in fact. Trying to decide between the two or maybe split time and explore both? Looking for a place to hole up and get some work done during the day... if we can get some early morning hiking/walking in (before the heat sets in) even better...with the ability to easily eat outdoors at night (either on property or nearby restaurants).

I would definitely upgrade to those Cattlerack Suites thank you for mentioning there's more natural light in those. Wonder if I'd need to put in a TSU as a Globalist or would they automatically do it most likely?

Given what I'm looking for, which of the two properties would you say is the best bet? Or try both?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:01 pm

It's funny because the weather app on my iPhone says Scottsdale is going to be in the 100's all week...
There's a huge difference between a high/low of 115/90 (much of July and August) and 102/76 (now), As they say, it's a dry heat.
I'm looking at the Royal Palms too in fact. Trying to decide between the two or maybe split time and explore both? Looking for a place to hole up and get some work done during the day... if we can get some early morning hiking/walking in (before the heat sets in) even better...with the ability to easily eat outdoors at night (either on property or nearby restaurants).

I would definitely upgrade to those Cattlerack Suites thank you for mentioning there's more natural light in those. Wonder if I'd need to put in a TSU as a Globalist or would they automatically do it most likely?

Given what I'm looking for, which of the two properties would you say is the best bet? Or try both?
If you're going to be working from your room, Andaz is better. Royal Palms is pretty old-style (i.e., minimal power outlets, no USB ports). The real charm here is the outdoor spaces. It's a nice place to come for evening cocktails in the courtyard amidst the palms. Both properties are well located (only about 4 miles apart).
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:43 pm

Thanks again @Kacee! Considering booking the Hyatt Privé 3rd night free promotion on the standard room. Curious if given the Privé booking and Globalist status if they would proactively upgrade to the Cattle Track Suite or if I'd have to put in a TSU to confirm that.

Wondering if anyone has experience with that situation?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks again @Kacee! Considering booking the Hyatt Privé 3rd night free promotion on the standard room. Curious if given the Privé booking and Globalist status if they would proactively upgrade to the Cattle Track Suite or if I'd have to put in a TSU to confirm that.

Wondering if anyone has experience with that situation?
I did the Prive 3rd night free promotion earlier this summer. Booked a Saarinen room and confirmed an upgrade to a Saarinen room with attached cabana after checking with the hotel (I specifically wanted the private cabana). On the day of check in, I texted the hotel before arriving to see if a further upgrade would be possible--the only room types above what I already had were suites, and I stated that I only wanted a suite if it had an attached cabana as well--and was told that my room had already been upgraded (to the Saarinen with attached cabana). Suite availability came and went in the days leading up to my stay, and I decided not to press further at check in.

Overall I enjoyed the stay--having the private cabana was key, even if it was a little ways away from the pool. (There are poolside cabanas for rent, but the ones attached to rooms/suites are sort of elevated above the pool, requiring you to walk around to one of the entrance gates to the proper pool area.)

I'd encourage you to ask your Prive advisor to check with the hotel to see what upgrade might be available to confirm at booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.