Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt South East Asia Flash Sale 72 hrs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt South East Asia Flash Sale 72 hrs.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gummibar
That's what it said in the terms and conditions. It is an eligible rate, just that DSU cannot be used with it.
Jeff Zidell is on the case!
https://twitter.com/TokyoHyattFan/st...03967704870912
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Starts only at 10:01 am SGT on Sept 15.. Be patient.
Gotcha

I see 351 SGD for my dates at GH Singapore, just a little cheaper than my fully cancelable Costco rate. It does include free breakfast for all guests, which is a nice touch. Not seeing the DSU restriction though (ah, I see it's in the T&C of the Flash Sale, but does not pop up when you check "rate rules" during the booking process . . . very sneaky!)

Now I guess I have to wait another 40 minutes for GH Bangkok rates to post.

Edited to add: 5740 THB, or 420 more than the "Great Escape" rate it's replacing.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think they were not discounting because they know exactly how to price their rooms. It is very hard for hotels to maintain high rates if they substantially discount, so if they do discount theg are going to do so discreetly. They will not slash published rates.
That's one perspective. I think it was foolish. At 10% occupancy, rate discipline is pointless. You need to attract guests who would otherwise not be visiting Bangkok.

During the period in question, I was contacted via e-mail by a property that shall remain nameless after canceling my Bangkok reservation. They offered me a very small additional discount (around 5%) which was not enough to lure me back.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 14, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's one perspective. I think it was foolish. At 10% occupancy, rate discipline is pointless. You need to attract guests who would otherwise not be visiting Bangkok.

During the period in question, I was contacted via e-mail by a property that shall remain nameless after canceling my Bangkok reservation. They offered me a very small additional discount (around 5%) which was not enough to lure me back.
Not at the high-end level. Rate integrity is very important, and it could well make sense to just ride out periods of low occupancy without discounting much.

I have been very successful at negotiating during such times, but I do so by negotiating upgrades after arrival. They will not budge on the published rate I pay for my room or suite, but if they have signature suites or villas available they will often allow upsell at substantial discounts.

And no, attracting low budget tourists to bkk during a political crisis is not what the top properties are interested in doing.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not at the high-end level.
A very limited number of chains (e.g., Four Seasons) will not discount. Most others will (though sometimes only through indirect channels). What was going on in Bangkok during the coup was sheer foolishness. Even the mid-level properties, such as Hilton Sukhumvit and Millenium were holding rates firm.

And no, attracting low budget tourists to bkk during a political crisis is not what the top properties are interested in doing.
How charming. Hope that makes you feel superior.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

A very limited number of chains (e.g., Four Seasons) will not discount. Most others will (though sometimes only through indirect channels). What was going on in Bangkok during the coup was sheer foolishness. Even the mid-level properties, such as Hilton Sukhumvit and Millenium were holding rates firm.

How charming. Hope that makes you feel superior.
I was just stating a fact about why rates were not discounted. As this is the Hyatt forum, I was thinking of the Erawan, which is a high-end hotel.

Four Seasons does discount, but not by lowering published rates. They discount (sometimes substantially) in the form of inclusions and upgrades. Four Seasons pricing is a prime example of perfect rate integrity and rate parity. It works very well for them.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:05 pm

I was just stating a fact about why rates were not discounted. As this is the Hyatt forum, I was thinking of the Erawan, which is a high-end hotel.
So how do explain Hilton not discounting at its mid-tier properties? Again, it was just sheer foolishness in ignoring the effect of price on demand.

And for your next trick, perhaps you can defend TG fare pricing
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

So how do explain Hilton not discounting at its mid-tier properties? Again, it was just sheer foolishness in ignoring the effect of price on demand.

And for your next trick, perhaps you can defend TG fare pricing
I agree with you re hilton and other mid-tier properties, at that level it does make more sense to discount. I do not check rates at those properties, so wouldn't know about discounts.

Bringing this back to Hyatt, the GH Erawan and the upcoming PH are high-end hotels in prime locations. They are correct to maintain strong rate integrity and not to discount much off of daily rates.

I don't know what you are referring to with TG. I find their fares to be very good value, and I love flying with them.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:13 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I've seen Siam Kempinski for a brief period go below THB 6000 and that's definitely not a mid tier hotel. Their rates are normally touching THB 8000

I remember post the red shirt occupation, IC had rates as low as THB 4000.

In BKK, there are 3 hotels that I can think of off the top of my head that can getaway with NOT discounting; The Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and a boutique hotel up the river (The Siam??? can't think of the name).

Speaking of PH BKK, it'll be interesting to see if they can break the THB 10,000 per night barrier. St Regis tried this, couldn't do it.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:03 am

Oh.. and you can't use DSU with this rate. Bummer...
Originally Posted by hailstorm
FWIW I was just able to apply a DSU to a booking at the GH Bali for November utilizing the SEAF rate.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Shangri-La Jade
GP Concierge:
"Good Afternoon!
I am sorry for the delay with this reply. I have read both terms&conditions and upon research I found the answer. Since this is a package and discounted rate it is ineligible for a suite upgrade.
Have a good day!
Anne"

Its new for me, that packages are ineligible for DSU... Awaken rates etc are packages as well...

*wondering*
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Rates with breakfast or parking are packages too, as are the romance packages that some Hyatts offer on hyatt.com. It would be a major change if DSUs can't be used with any of these. Let's hope that the HGP agent is just wrong on this.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:49 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Good Evening,

I wanted to address the questions we have seen in regards to using a Diamond Suite Upgrade with the special SEA flash sale rates that we are now offering. Our terms and conditions do state that this rate is not eligible to use in conjunction with a Diamond Suite Upgrade. We are reviewing this further for future sales and promotions.

We thank you for your loyalty and for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Jillian McCall
Assistant Manager, Guest Services
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Good Evening,

I wanted to address the questions we have seen in regards to using a Diamond Suite Upgrade with the special SEA flash sale rates that we are now offering. Our terms and conditions do state that this rate is not eligible to use in conjunction with a Diamond Suite Upgrade. We are reviewing this further for future sales and promotions.

Best Regards,

Jillian McCall
Your Hyatt Gold Passport Terms and Conditions state that Diamond Suite Upgrades are available for paid rates, with no additional qualifiers.

Hyatt now breaks its own T&C with tiny fine print?

EDIT: Sorry, there was an additional qualifier; the rate must be an Eligible Rate, which is covered in another section of T&C as "any hotel published room rate, including, but not limited to rates found on hyatt.com..."

Last edited by hailstorm; Sep 15, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemini573
Speaking of PH BKK, it'll be interesting to see if they can break the THB 10,000 per night barrier. St Regis tried this, couldn't do it.
No way. I would expect rates to be similar to the Erawan. Only the Oriental, Pen, and the siam can charge that much for a standard room, and that's only in the high season.

Only club rooms and (junior) suites or higher categories in BKK will fetch THB 10,000/night under normal circumstances.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 16, 2015 at 4:29 am
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update. I hope you will review it thoroughly and maintain the integrity of gp program. This is a slippery slope and once introduced there will be others to follow - individual properties will start posting sale rates ineligible for benefits and who knows what else.

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Good Evening,

Best Regards,

Jillian McCall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.