Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consecutive Nights Question

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Consecutive Nights Question

(new to this, feel free to place this in whichever thread it belongs in... i tried to do some searching, couldn't find a concrete answer...)

I'm qualifying on stays, not nights, for this year, so my question is, can I do a 3 night stay, and have it count for 2 stays, under the following structure?

Night #1: Points + Cash (1 night, stay)
Night #2: Credit Card Night (Award, 0 nights of credit)
Night #3: Points + Cash (1 night, 2nd stay?)

I would set it up as 3 separate reservations, although, it would be 3 consecutive nights.

I've seen answers to the 2 consecutive points + cash nights NOT counting as 2 stays... but I'm in a way breaking it up with a full award night in between... does that improve my chances at all?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 30, 2015, 4:10 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
It counts as one stay.

There are various rigorous definitions but, in plain talk, if you spent "last night" in the same location, it's the same stay.
Originally Posted by lakersown81
Old May 30, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lakersown81
(new to this, feel free to place this in whichever thread it belongs in... i tried to do some searching, couldn't find a concrete answer...)

I'm qualifying on stays, not nights, for this year, so my question is, can I do a 3 night stay, and have it count for 2 stays, under the following structure?

I would set it up as 3 separate reservations, although, it would be 3 consecutive nights.

I've seen answers to the 2 consecutive points + cash nights NOT counting as 2 stays... but I'm in a way breaking it up with a full award night in between... does that improve my chances at all?

Thanks in advance!
Exactly as stated above, one stay. Is there not another Hyatt property in the area?
Old May 31, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
It is a 1 stay as long as the name stays the same , the nights are consecutive, and you don't check out of the room IIRC.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Move to a different property for Night 2. Alternatively, if you are staying with somebody else you can book that night in their name.

(I'd be curious to find out if gifting a free night to a third party counts for splitting up the stays)
Old May 31, 2015, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
It is a 1 stay as long as the name stays the same , the nights are consecutive, and you don't check out of the room IIRC.
I don't think this is accurate. You can check out and check in, but that doesn't give you an additional stay. In fact, you could even be forced to change rooms and it would still count as a single stay.

A tricky case might be where you check out and leave the property with all of your belongings bu then return later that day for a newly made reservation. An example might be that you go the the airport, discover that your flight is cancelled, and want to return to the Hyatt for an additional night.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think this is accurate. You can check out and check in, but that doesn't give you an additional stay. In fact, you could even be forced to change rooms and it would still count as a single stay.
You are correct, but I believe there is some misunderstanding.

What I meant is if: your name stays the same + the nights are consecutive + you don't physically check-out and back in = it will likely count as the same stay.

Now in OP's case what he suggested will definitely be 1 stay.

If he did this
Night 1 P+C (his name)
Night 2 Award (Other person in room name)
Night 3 P+C (his name)

By changing the name, the nights are technically no longer consecutive as the room is occupied by someone else.

But if they do not check out between nights, the hotel could technically consider it all as 1 stay.

A tricky case might be where you check out and leave the property with all of your belongings bu then return later that day for a newly made reservation. An example might be that you go the the airport, discover that your flight is cancelled, and want to return to the Hyatt for an additional night.
I've had something similar before, it was tied to the same stay.

But as always YMMV.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 31, 2015 at 11:42 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 11:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
You are correct, but I believe there is some misunderstanding.
Don't complicate things... if nights are consecutive, at the same property and are from/to the same account they will count as one stay.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Plat, AA Plat, United Sil, Delta, Hertz PC, National ExecEl
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
It counts as one stay.

There are various rigorous definitions but, in plain talk, if you spent "last night" in the same location, it's the same stay.

The above is accurate AFAIK.

It doesn't matter if you physically checked out, went to the airport, cancelled flight made you book another reservation and you checked back in at the same property. Still considered one stay.

However, make sure you get the amenity this time if you got the bonus points the first time around. Even if FD asks points/amenity and you choose points, you'll still only get 1000 added at the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.