Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrade rules

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Diamond Suite Upgrade rules

Hello everyone,

I usually lurk and don't post but I don't know where else to turn for this.

I've been under the impression that a diamond suite upgrade can be used for the eligible suite as long as it is available on a cash rate.

My situation:

I have a reservation at Regency Grand Cypress from Feb 21-23 C+P for which a suite certificate has been applied to which has been verified to be the executive suite. I added a 3rd night (separate reservation) for 23-24 on C+P as well. However, I'm being told there isn't suite availability for the 23-24 night stay, whereas I can see cash availability for that suite on that night.

Is the suite availability different if using C+P?

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Unfortunately, it appears that suite upgrade inventory is capacity controlled. In your case, it may pay off to contact the property directly and advise them that you are confirmed for x nights and would like to add a night. They may be willing to do it as a courtesy or for a fee. It is worth a shot.

Originally Posted by shakim
I've been under the impression that a diamond suite upgrade can be used for the eligible suite as long as it is available on a cash rate.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Sometimes it's different. Going to a hotel like Sensei suggest is an option, but since you're Diamond, have you tried asking (politely suggesting) Diamond Line to contact the hotel to see if they could open up availability for the last night?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shakim
Is the suite availability different if using C+P?
Sadly, that is correct.

As others have suggested, try talking with the property directly and see if you can work something out. If you can afford to wait, they may be more amenable to an arrangement once you arrive if the suite is still available at that time (I did something similar on a recent Park Hyatt Tokyo stay)
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I've stayed there in a suite. The upgrade is a lockout/suite connector.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
I'll call them a couple days before and see if they can open up the 3rd night. If not, I'll just cancel that 3rd night reservation and stay at another hyatt to get an additional stay credit.

Also, is the executive suite a connector or the junior suite? I had thought it was the junior that is a connector.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:29 pm

Since the introduction of cash+points awards a year or so ago, I have never seen an instance where the DSU-applicable suite was available at the Hyatt Daily Rate while not available for combination with the cash+points rate. Until this week.

Andaz San Diego has the Andaz Suite available at the Hyatt Daily Rate, but Gold Passport is unwilling to apply a DSU cert on an existing cash+points booking. Gold Passport is willing to apply the DSU if I book a standard room at the Hyatt Daily Rate.

A bad omen. Was great while it lasted.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:46 pm

As I understand it, there is an entirely separate inventory for the C+P plus DSU, as opposed to booking into the C+P first, then applying the DSU on the reservation afterwards. So it is managed differently from a normal paid booking plus DSU, and hotels seem to take this opportunity to differentiate the inventory.

This has the unintended (and potentially lucrative) benefit that some properties will show no base rooms, no C+P, but will allow C+P plus DSU because the suite (and the associated C+P plus DSU) inventory remains available.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have a related question. I'm currently very low on points but I have a DSU remaining that I have to use before 2/28.

Could I book a room for August at the Park Hyatt Siem Reap at the regular daily rate, apply the Diamond suite upgrade, then later change my paid reservation in a few months to cash and points?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:10 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I have a related question. I'm currently very low on points but I have a DSU remaining that I have to use before 2/28.

Could I book a room for August at the Park Hyatt Siem Reap at the regular daily rate, apply the Diamond suite upgrade, then later change my paid reservation in a few months to cash and points?
You can book the cash and points without the points required as a Diamond benefit, and apply the DSU instantly. If you change dates post tomorrow you will lose the DSU.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by m0hamed
You can book the cash and points without the points required as a Diamond benefit, and apply the DSU instantly. If you change dates post tomorrow you will lose the DSU.
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm no longer a Diamond member, I'm only Platinum. Can I book a cash rate now, apply the DSU that's about the expire, then change to cash & points later (if available) and keep the DSU?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:25 am

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm no longer a Diamond member, I'm only Platinum. Can I book a cash rate now, apply the DSU that's about the expire, then change to cash & points later (if available) and keep the DSU?
Can you have a DSU when you are not a Diamond?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Can you have a DSU when you are not a Diamond?
Yes. I was a Diamond member (status challenge).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are ways that it has been done before.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:23 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Don't think so, I had a reservation in 6/2014 with an applied 2013 DSU. Shortly before the stay, the rate dropped a bit but my Private Line Agent wasn't able to lower the rate and keep the DSU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.