Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrade rules

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by danger
I have a three (consecutive) night reservation coming up. One of the nights is cash; the other two are cash+points.

I just phoned the Australian line to add a DSU for the entire stay. The agent told me that it would require two DSUs: one for the paid night and a separate one for the two C+P nights.

Correct or another misinformed agent?
This is definitely possible with a single DSU. Recently did something similar at GH Hong Kong.

If the 3 nights are on a single reservation the agent is not only misinformed but incompetent. It is a bit more tricky if they are on separate reservations, but still can be done (I think it just requires the agent to contact the hotel). If you can't get an agent who knows how to do it, I suggest you PM Hyatt Concierge here on FT.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:33 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I have a three (consecutive) night reservation coming up. One of the nights is cash; the other two are cash+points.

I just phoned the Australian line to add a DSU for the entire stay. The agent told me that it would require two DSUs: one for the paid night and a separate one for the two C+P nights.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Never, ever call the Australian call centre. They are useless.

Call the American Diamond Line via Skype.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
This is definitely possible with a single DSU. Recently did something similar at GH Hong Kong.

If the 3 nights are on a single reservation the agent is not only misinformed but incompetent. It is a bit more tricky if they are on separate reservations, but still can be done (I think it just requires the agent to contact the hotel). If you can't get an agent who knows how to do it, I suggest you PM Hyatt Concierge here on FT.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Never, ever call the Australian call centre. They are useless.

Call the American Diamond Line via Skype.
The US fixed it.

During the call I took the time to check on my other already applied DSUs. Turns out one of the reservations I'd made months ago and applied a DSU for a stay later in the year (and received a revised confirmation for) had been done correctly. The DSU hadn't been pulled or whatever it is they do. And according to my notes the agent who I spoke with in order to do that months ago was the same way I spoke with today and gave the misinformation about DSUs and C+P.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:27 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The US fixed it.

During the call I took the time to check on my other already applied DSUs. Turns out one of the reservations I'd made months ago and applied a DSU for a stay later in the year (and received a revised confirmation for) had been done correctly. The DSU hadn't been pulled or whatever it is they do. And according to my notes the agent who I spoke with in order to do that months ago was the same way I spoke with today and gave the misinformation about DSUs and C+P.
Sometimes the DSU is deducted when you call. Sometimes just prior to the stay. Sometimes at check in.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Sometimes the DSU is deducted when you call. Sometimes just prior to the stay. Sometimes at check in.
Sometimes never.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold

None of the above. The answer is lazy. It can be done in a single DSU, but combining different kinds of reservations is a pain, and the agent likely didn't want to do it.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
None of the above. The answer is lazy. It can be done in a single DSU, but combining different kinds of reservations is a pain, and the agent likely didn't want to do it.
I've had difficulty on multiple occasions with the Japan call center as well, and I doubt that they are lazy, although I do suspect that they might be subcontracted.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sometimes never.
Ha, I forgot that one!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Can Hyatt's DSU rules be made more clear? Yes, I think so.
The restriction to "consecutive nights" is clear to everyone but you. Common sense is a fundamental interpretive principle.

The problem isn't the rule, it's the failed effort to game the system.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:25 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
DSU rules are perfectly clear to me. Nothing to misunderstand...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 59Impala
DSU rules are perfectly clear to me. Nothing to misunderstand...
^ The only thing that can be argued about is the "eligble rate" part .... and even that is simple, it's whatever GP deems it to be :-). (and in reality is nearly everything).

And to make it quite clear. There's no need to include the word reservation, because when I make two consecutive reservations from my/the same account (on eligible rates) that don't exceed the 7 day stay period, GP is perfectly happy to apply a DSU.
It's just the greedy ones they deny. I can only hope GP has a customer code where any additional benefits for those trying to blatantly game the system are denied.

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 27, 2016 at 9:12 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Two nights (Sunday and Tuesday) is certainly less than "a maximum of 7 consecutive nights". (If there's any doubt about this, get two different calendars and mark one of them with "2 nights" and mark the other with "7 consecutive nights". You'll immediately see which one is greater. Hint: 2 nights is less than 7 nights.)
Lest I be accused of being unhelpfully critical...

The requirement under "up to 7 consecutive nights" consists of two parts - the maximum number of nights, and the fact that the nights must be consecutive. Consecutive at the hotel that you are applying the DSU, because the second hotel will obviously not accept the same DSU that you're using at the first hotel, and therefore you will not be applying the DSU to consecutive nights.

Two nights are less than seven nights, sure. A Monday night and Wednesday night fulfils the first part. But it does not fulfil the second part, as they are not consecutive. As such, your scenario is ineligible.

Now, how long did it take to write your post? Do you seriously have nothing better to do with yourself?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stargold
Do find a new hobby as a matter of urgency. Your drivel is distracting people from actual issues.
It was either that or hearing people complain about the wording of the Brexit....
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTW1
It was either that or hearing people complain about the wording of the Brexit....
I didn't even read the original lengthy post from stargold. Now, after reading these follow up posts I went back and read it......Is he seriously saying he successfully got a single DSU applied to 2 different hotels because the total nights stay was less than 7 nights? Crazy peepeecocka stuff there that is.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I didn't even read the original lengthy post from stargold. Now, after reading these follow up posts I went back and read it......Is he seriously saying he successfully got a single DSU applied to 2 different hotels because the total nights stay was less than 7 nights? Crazy peepeecocka stuff there that is.
This is the same person that checked in and out of the same hotel each day, swapping accounts with his partner, in order to demand the amenity each time.

I suspect he complained enough that Hyatt just gave up and credited them as separate stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.