Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:58 am

I was able to confirm with Rosa Curiel @ Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta that Ocean Front King is on the Main/North Tower which is the renovated room.

Thanks all!

Btw, any recommendation or water sports in front of the hotel?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by johnxkrn
I was able to confirm with Rosa Curiel @ Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta that Ocean Front King is on the Main/North Tower which is the renovated room.

Thanks all!

Btw, any recommendation or water sports in front of the hotel?
See if you could be a bit more specific with her and ask for a room with a true balcony. The North tower does not have that many, most rooms having a
"french" balcony...if that makes a difference for you.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:07 am

Looking to stay in Spring 2017 and will be a plat equivalent in WoH, so likely no upgrades. What are the specific benefits of a club room besides the pros/cons of the room itself? Looks like the following:
  • Larger rooms, all with balconies
  • Lounge with food that isn't any better than elsewhere in the resort and a slightly higher level of alcohol.

Is there anything else that I'm missing? Is the adults-only pool available for all or just the Club tower? Any examples of what alcohol is in the club tower and in the rest of the resort (i.e. sparkling wine only in club, Tequila X in Club vs only Tequila Y at the resort, etc.)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Looking to stay in Spring 2017 and will be a plat equivalent in WoH, so likely no upgrades. What are the specific benefits of a club room besides the pros/cons of the room itself? Looks like the following:
  • Larger rooms, all with balconies
  • Lounge with food that isn't any better than elsewhere in the resort and a slightly higher level of alcohol.

Is there anything else that I'm missing? Is the adults-only pool available for all or just the Club tower? Any examples of what alcohol is in the club tower and in the rest of the resort (i.e. sparkling wine only in club, Tequila X in Club vs only Tequila Y at the resort, etc.)
Adults only pool is open to all... I saw an occasional child as well.

I am sorry I can't speak to the alcohol as I don't drink. I heard the same as you that there is a small bar in the lobby of the south tower that does serve a slightly better alcohol to club members.

As to the room...which to me is most important.....it is really a gamble. The north tower rooms are renovated but many do not have balconies. ( that is a deal killer to me) The south tower is not renovated but all have balconies...some, on the upper 5 floors with the best views of course, have a Jacuzzi on the balcony taking up half the floor space. ( I never used them and missed the extra space to lounge). Another factor.....noise. I found the new Hyatt configuration much more noisy down on the south end which seems to be a hub for activities and pool and beach music. So you may have the sound of partying guests along with gentling crashing waves in the South tower.

We stayed in a top floor plunge pool suite in the North Tower on our last stay which was the most amazing room ( two stories) I have ever stayed in. I liked the resort but the food was so unfortunate the entire week that we will not return.

Post #216 has a review I wrote shortly after our return.

Last edited by david55; Dec 29, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by dngrmys
Good luck. I arrived and ask about plunge pool upgrade with several different people. All wanted to negotiate a rate that was north of $200+ a night. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that, but my expectations of a complimentary plunge pool upgrade were quickly shattered.
What email is everyone contacting to coordinate room preference? I have looked EVERYWHERE and I can't find contact information besides a phone number! Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by william142
Email and arrange before hand. If you wait till you get there you are at the mercy of whatever porely trained person you get.
Who are you guys emailing? What contact info? THanks!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:30 am

Dress code enforced?

Hi All,

I was getting ready to book a quick three night stay with my wife and two young daughters (1 and 4) and when checking out the dining options - noticed that the dress code said no "flip flops".

This seemed a bit odd to me. When traveling to a warm weather resort location I purposely only pack sandals.

I'm thinking about my last couple of trips, Hyatt Regency Maui, Hyatt Regency Scottsdale, Fairmont Maui, Hilton Los Cabos - never wore shoes. The thought of packing shoes to any of these destinations never even crossed my mind.

Typically wore some khaki/golf shorts and a button up resort shirt. Never had a problem or was refused entry/service and always felt like I was dressed much like everyone else.

I get wanting to keep out the folks who show up in soaking wet trunks and a tank top, but restricting sandals completely seems like a bit much to me.

Is this really enforced?

I've never been to PV but was looking forward to trying something new and a short flight. This will be my first time at a Ziva brand property. I was under the impression that it was a family brand (hence bringing the two kids).

I realize that it might sounds crazy to some, but wearing shoes on a beach resort vacation is going to be a deal breaker for me. Should I be looking elsewhere?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:04 am

I wish I could show you my outfit I wore to the main buffet dining hall one day. Complimentary room slippers, a pareu, and a handkerchief wrapped around my uncombed hair. I should have been kicked out.

Unless this is a new rule.....I doubt seriously it would be enforced.....at least at breakfast and lunch.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by 760Devilfan
Hi All,

I was getting ready to book a quick three night stay with my wife and two young daughters (1 and 4) and when checking out the dining options - noticed that the dress code said no "flip flops".

This seemed a bit odd to me. When traveling to a warm weather resort location I purposely only pack sandals.

I'm thinking about my last couple of trips, Hyatt Regency Maui, Hyatt Regency Scottsdale, Fairmont Maui, Hilton Los Cabos - never wore shoes. The thought of packing shoes to any of these destinations never even crossed my mind.

Typically wore some khaki/golf shorts and a button up resort shirt. Never had a problem or was refused entry/service and always felt like I was dressed much like everyone else.

I get wanting to keep out the folks who show up in soaking wet trunks and a tank top, but restricting sandals completely seems like a bit much to me.

Is this really enforced?

I've never been to PV but was looking forward to trying something new and a short flight. This will be my first time at a Ziva brand property. I was under the impression that it was a family brand (hence bringing the two kids).

I realize that it might sounds crazy to some, but wearing shoes on a beach resort vacation is going to be a deal breaker for me. Should I be looking elsewhere?
I would not worry about this. We were there in July and there seemed to be no enforcement of dress code at all. That being said, I would pack a pair of clothes-toed shoes just in case.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 760Devilfan
Hi All,

I wouldn't worry about it. I looked and the 3 restaurants they have that on are the 3 'nicer' restaurants, but they're still pretty casual. The Italian place, MelanZane, people def sit on the patio with covered swimwear & flip-flops at lunch, but maybe they wouldn't let you sit inside like that. We wore flip-flops/sandals to MelanZane & PureZa without issue (last March). I would think you'd definitely be fine with sandals or nicer flip-flops.

And like you said, the dress code says, "Smart casual (not wet clothes, tank tops or flip flops allowed)." I bet they're more concerned with the wet clothes & tank top part too. The outfits you described sound perfectly smart casual to me.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
I wish I could show you my outfit I wore to the main buffet dining hall one day. Complimentary room slippers, a pareu, and a handkerchief wrapped around my uncombed hair. I should have been kicked out.

Unless this is a new rule.....I doubt seriously it would be enforced.....at least at breakfast and lunch.
Originally Posted by dngrmys
I would not worry about this. We were there in July and there seemed to be no enforcement of dress code at all. That being said, I would pack a pair of clothes-toed shoes just in case.
Originally Posted by jkjetsetters
I wouldn't worry about it. I looked and the 3 restaurants they have that on are the 3 'nicer' restaurants, but they're still pretty casual. The Italian place, MelanZane, people def sit on the patio with covered swimwear & flip-flops at lunch, but maybe they wouldn't let you sit inside like that. We wore flip-flops/sandals to MelanZane & PureZa without issue (last March). I would think you'd definitely be fine with sandals or nicer flip-flops.

And like you said, the dress code says, "Smart casual (not wet clothes, tank tops or flip flops allowed)." I bet they're more concerned with the wet clothes & tank top part too. The outfits you described sound perfectly smart casual to me.
I was just there last weekend and agree with the above. We definitely had no issue wearing sandals during the daytime hours (we ate lunch at Blaze every day and I always was wearing my bathing suit / shirt and sandals and my girlfriend was wearing workout clothes and sandals without issue).

At night, I wore sandals one night (to the Asian place) with no issue and the other nights I wore sneakers with golf shorts / polo shirt (to the Italian place and buffet) again without issue.

I don't think there is any cause for concern or need to deviate from your expectations.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
I was just there last weekend and agree with the above.
How was the food? We were there a year ago with 4 friends and the food was so awful it was the one component that would keep us all from returning.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
How was the food? We were there a year ago with 4 friends and the food was so awful it was the one component that would keep us all from returning.
Very mixed - I'd give it a B.

We though the food at Blaze was quite good for lunch (we got fajitas every day and they were great), the service there was also fantastic. They recognized us every day and even brought out a Happy Birthday dessert platter for my girlfriend at lunch on her birthday.

The Italian place was solid but nothing spectacular, the buffet was an average buffet, and the Asian place had some really good (the freshly cooked chicken / beef skewers were amazing) while the rest was average.

We went for a long weekend (got there at 12pm on Friday, left at 230pm on Monday) and for that length of time the food was perfectly fine and the rest of the place was incredible so we really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would go back for a longer stay since I was starting to get sick of the food by Monday but I would happily go back for a long weekend, especially at the price I paid (~$1000 for 2 people for 3 nights of All Inclusive).

Pro Tip for anyone going in the future. There is a "Club Lounge" in the Club Tower but it's not gated at all, it's open-air for anyone behind the Club Tower check-in desk (we were Diamond/Club Tower but no one checked ever and there are no wristbands at Ziva PV - I think anyone can go in there and get something). They have higher tier liquor (Don Julio, JW Black, Grey Goose, etc.) available for free. It should be your go-to for spirits given the higher quality. In addition Ruben, who works the area, makes the margaritas fresh (no mix) with tequila, triple sec, and fresh squeezed limes (squeezed in front of you) - it's much better than the margaritas from any other bar that use the margarita mix. Ask him to use Don Julio and he will without issue - though I do suggest bringing a few singles and tip each time (well worth it IMO). The other tip, ask bartenders at any bar for the specific liquor you want. If you see it out on a shelf, it's available to you, but if you don't ask they'll just use the well liquor. Cazadores is the widely available mid-tier tequila that's available at all bars - just ask for that (or any other liquor you see out) specifically when ordering your drink and they'll use it without issue.

Last edited by Duke787; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:20 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Very mixed - I'd give it a B.

We though the food at Blaze was quite good for lunch (we got fajitas every day and they were great), the service there was also fantastic. They recognized us every day and even brought out a Happy Birthday dessert platter for my girlfriend at lunch on her birthday.

The Italian place was solid but nothing spectacular, the buffet was an average buffet, and the Asian place had some really good (the freshly cooked chicken / beef skewers were amazing) while the rest was average.

We went for a long weekend (got there at 12pm on Friday, left at 230pm on Monday) and for that length of time the food was perfectly fine and the rest of the place was incredible so we really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would go back for a longer stay since I was starting to get sick of the food by Monday.
Thanks. A year ago we were there for a week. It became a joke. We kept thinking the chef was having an off day...but seven of them in a row? We never got sick but we ate in town as much as we could. It was odd...they had all the right ingredients....they just couldn't put them together for something that tasted good.

It sounds like, from your review, they may have gotten it together or hired a new chef.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Globallist
HELLO FT travelers!

Hoping for a little feedback on this Hyatt Ziva PV.

Questions I hope people can add their thoughts on recent travel, maybe the past 90 days. Really appreciate the insight

The QUICK story

13 of us, ranging from 13-70. 3 NIGHT stay. probably 5 rooms. I'm HYTATT DIAMOND/Globiewhatever

1. Thoughts on THIS property vs HYATT ZIVA CABO We do LOVE the Hyatt Ziva Cabo, been there 2x in past 12 months. Can you compare this property with the Cabo? Have you been to both? Age diffence between the two? PROS? CONS?

2. Are there wrist bands? If so, do they recognize Diamond/Plat/Gold? If not wristbands, why not? Reason I ask, I feel like HYATT CABO does a GREAT CLIENT SERVICE for all that stay there, including their 12 different color wristbands. I KID, but do feel like our Family was treated exceptionally both visits.

3. Room type. Doesn't seem to been any huge options, PREZ SUITE 1500 square feet. Any recommendations for 5 rooms? location? Have you had a connector room? Such a thing here?

4. Any contact info? Concierge or Reservations Manager, or......? Please PM if you would

5. A couple excursions included?

REALLY appreciate any thoughts. Normally I would just show up, but with 13 people, doing more research than probably needed.

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.