Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skunker
I disagree with this. I found the Italian restaurant to be not as good as Blaze or even the Asian restaurant. We ate at Blaze the most (lunch and dinner). It's Mexico, they know how to make Mexican food and Blaze is mostly Mexican style food.
I agree that the Italian restaurant was the worse.

I disagree that just because it is in Mexico they know how to cook Mexican food. The worse meal (inedible) was in the Mexican restaurant and all the other "mexican" dishes in the other restaurants were not authentic or tasty.

The food kept me alive for the week I was there...but that is all that I can say was " good" about it.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
What did you order from that was inedible? The food served at Casa Grande is authentic for the region.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by skunker
What did you order from that was inedible? The food served at Casa Grande is authentic for the region.
I don't remember to be honest....there were 6 of us and no one liked their meal. ( Enough that we never went back during our week stay) While no expert, I do know Mexican food. My husband, a decent chef, specialty is Mexican and we have owned a house in Mexico for 20 years where good authentic Mexican food can be found on every corner in our town.

As often is the case...reviews of any restaurant vary widely. Some like it some don't...we were the "don't'.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Hi,

Does anyone have the email for the concierge or another contact at the hotel? I'm looking to get a few questions answered before booking.

Thank you!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by BOSFish
Hi,

Does anyone have the email for the concierge or another contact at the hotel? I'm looking to get a few questions answered before booking.

Thank you!
Try this one:

Ms. Curiel is the Asst. Manager and was very helpful to us.

[email protected]
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Thank you
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Hello! We are looking to book a stay here in early March. I was initially going to book the base level room & use a DSU to get the Club Hot Tub room, but there are pretty good prices on the Swim Up rooms, so I'm thinking of booking that. My main reasons are that we loved our swim up room at Zilara Rose Hall, they are renovated rooms, & they are adults only. I know people say they aren't very private, but they still look awesome. Would anyone recommend the Club Hot Tub room over the swim-up? Additionally, if the resort were to upgrade us to a 1 bedroom plunge pool suite, would you choose that over the swim-up? They look like spacious, beautiful rooms, but I've read several reviews where people say they didn't use the plunge pool much or it was dirty.

How is the internet at this resort? We are thinking of working remotely a couple days while we're there, so we would need decent internet. If it's not great in the room, are there any areas of the resort where it's better (i.e. lobby, a certain lounge, etc.)?

If anyone is there now or staying there soon & could run a couple speedtests, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by jkjetsetters
Hello! We are looking to book a stay here in early March. I was initially going to book the base level room & use a DSU to get the Club Hot Tub room, but there are pretty good prices on the Swim Up rooms, so I'm thinking of booking that. My main reasons are that we loved our swim up room at Zilara Rose Hall, they are renovated rooms, & they are adults only. I know people say they aren't very private, but they still look awesome. Would anyone recommend the Club Hot Tub room over the swim-up? Additionally, if the resort were to upgrade us to a 1 bedroom plunge pool suite, would you choose that over the swim-up? They look like spacious, beautiful rooms, but I've read several reviews where people say they didn't use the plunge pool much or it was dirty.

How is the internet at this resort? We are thinking of working remotely a couple days while we're there, so we would need decent internet. If it's not great in the room, are there any areas of the resort where it's better (i.e. lobby, a certain lounge, etc.)?

If anyone is there now or staying there soon & could run a couple speedtests, I would greatly appreciate it!
I would think twice before reserving or accepting a swim up room. They are NOT awesome. When I was there in November the swim up rooms were in the shade almost all day. I saw only one couple actually hanging out in their swim up pool...and frankly they looked so bored and more importantly...totally exposed. ( No privacy) This is a hotel where you need to be up as high as possible...the views are much better and the resort noise less. One bedroom plunge pool suite, whether you use the plunge pool or not..is way better then the swim up.

The wifi was surprisingly fast...the fastest I have ever experienced in a hotel....until...the weekend when the resort got quite crowded and I think their system was taxed by the quantity of users.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by david4455
I would think twice before reserving or accepting a swim up room. They are NOT awesome. When I was there in November the swim up rooms were in the shade almost all day. I saw only one couple actually hanging out in their swim up pool...and frankly they looked so bored and more importantly...totally exposed. ( No privacy) This is a hotel where you need to be up as high as possible...the views are much better and the resort noise less. One bedroom plunge pool suite, whether you use the plunge pool or not..is way better then the swim up.

The wifi was surprisingly fast...the fastest I have ever experienced in a hotel....until...the weekend when the resort got quite crowded and I think their system was taxed by the quantity of users.
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear the internet is pretty good! And I will talk to my husband about the swim-up suites again & see what he thinks. We can't afford to book a 1bd plunge pool suite, so we'd only get one of those if we were lucky & happened to get upgraded by the resort. If we didn't book the swim-up, we'd book the base room & use a DSU for the Club Ocean Front Hot Tub room, but it didn't sound that great from reviews I've see. Anywho, thanks for your input!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Just wondering if diamonds even get anything here that is worthwhile? Room upgrades?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:16 am

Arrived yesterday with the gf. Staying 6nts but had booked their 5th nt free along with citi prestige 4th free (2 free nts!) applied a dsu but was upgraded to a plunge pool suite at check-in. The rm is huge and has amazing views. Have only ate at blaze so far (dinner was ok but breakfast we found to be pretty good). We like staying at the beach rather than pool area. The beach is beautiful, huge, soft sand, strong waves. We love it! The pools are amazing as well. Most of them are infinity pools with views of the ocean horizon. Hotel is mostly facing the west side so sun does not really hit the resort area until 10am. Cant see sunrise but can see sunset (amazing views from blaze while dining). A good amount of people here as it appears hotel is sold out but service has been on point. Concierge is phenomenal as well as all staff. Beach service has been swift and frequent. There are few vendors trying to sell you merchandise and excursions but very respectful and not pushy. There are daily shows every night and are quite entertaining. And did I say these waves are amazing!!! Very relaxing and can hear it crash from our room even with the door closed! So far loving this place and already know we will be coming back because this place is so beautiful! Definitely a hidden gem and the price point is great for an AI.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Arrived yesterday with the gf. Staying 6nts but had booked their 5th nt free along with citi prestige 4th free (2 free nts!) applied a dsu but was upgraded to a plunge pool suite at check-in. The rm is huge and has amazing views. Have only ate at blaze so far (dinner was ok but breakfast we found to be pretty good). We like staying at the beach rather than pool area. The beach is beautiful, huge, soft sand, strong waves. We love it! The pools are amazing as well. Most of them are infinity pools with views of the ocean horizon. Hotel is mostly facing the west side so sun does not really hit the resort area until 10am. Cant see sunrise but can see sunset (amazing views from blaze while dining). A good amount of people here as it appears hotel is sold out but service has been on point. Concierge is phenomenal as well as all staff. Beach service has been swift and frequent. There are few vendors trying to sell you merchandise and excursions but very respectful and not pushy. There are daily shows every night and are quite entertaining. And did I say these waves are amazing!!! Very relaxing and can hear it crash from our room even with the door closed! So far loving this place and already know we will be coming back because this place is so beautiful! Definitely a hidden gem and the price point is great for an AI.

Just out of curiosity which building do you end up in?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
Just out of curiosity which building do you end up in?
The club tower, the one closer to the blaze restaurant
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Glad to hear a good review! We are arriving next Friday the 4th and can't wait. The reviews on TripAdvisor have been really good lately so we're pretty excited. We're currently booked in a swim-up room but I would really love to stay in a plunge pool suite. Did you ask for the upgrade or did the hotel upgrade you on their own? Right now the hotel shows availability for all room types so I can't imagine they're close to full during our stay. I have a DSU available so I'm tempted to re-book a base room & apply a DSU & hope for an upgrade. Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I just got back from a 1 week stay. This was the second time I stayed here (last year was the last week of Jan). Last year was a short 2 night stay and it rained. This week the weather was beautiful.

Our group had 2 rooms. My wife and I had a room in the club tower (19th floor) with a hot tub in the balcony. The others had a room in the other tower.

A few notes / observations:

1) The club tower is nice because the rooms are a little bigger (couch + sitting area) and there is a concierge and lounge with food and drinks on the ground floor. In reality, we never got food or drinks from the lounge and we didn't use the concierge (we did check out here though to save time).

2) We had a hot tub in the balcony but never used it. I always told myself that I'd try using it "later tonight" but never did.

3) There were some kind of bugs / mosquitos that bit my legs (ankles, feet, calves) as well as my arms (near elbows). I didn't get any bites anywhere else. Whatever bit me...it's really itchy.

4) The activities staff is cool. They are always trying to get people to play beach volleyball, ping pong tournament, water aerobics, etc. It's nice to participate a little bit because you then get to know them.

5) Nightly entertainment was mostly pretty good. The fire show was similar to the fire portion of the show at a luau in Hawaii. The water circus was good. The regular circus was also good (juggling, gymnastics, etc.). The star wars dance was interesting. The mime was a little boring but oh well. I don't remember them having nightly entertainment last year. Maybe I was just too busy to attend last year.

6) You need to get out early to reserve chairs. By around 9am, many chairs are taken. It is a bit annoying because many people show up really late or don't show up at all.

7) Drink service, etc. is all pretty prompt and good. Service was good all around. It does help if you tip them a little bit (otherwise they sometimes ignore you).

8) Restaurant service is very slow. You're on vacation so hopefully you're not pressed for time. It was common to sit in a restaurant and take 20 minutes to order, 20 min for food, etc. Meals typically took at least 1 hour but 2+ hour meals were not uncommon. Some guests were annoyed and would simply get up and leave and walk over to the buffet (or sneak food into the restaurant from the buffet or grill to eat while waiting).

9) One elevator was broken in the newer building. You had to use your hands to force open the door, etc. Later they just closed the elevator so it took forever to get an elevators sometimes.

10) Check in was nice as they give you a glass to drink and a nice cold towel. It was nice to see Beatris from last year (she's nice!)

11) Check in took about an hour or so. I guess we had a slightly complex reservation. Our group was 4 adults, 1 child (10) and 2 infants (2, 1). The website indicates that infants are free and we booked them when making reservations but sometimes they didn't show up in the reservation as a child. We made multiple reservations including:

1 - paid reservation for 6 nights / 7 days. straight up vanilla reservation made online. no problems with this one. 2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant.
3 reservations each were 2 nights free sign up offer using hyatt visa credit card

The 3 reservations were made back to back to equal 6 nights. However, these have to be made via phone only and they are made as 6 separate 1 night reservations back to back. Some said 2 adults / 1 kid and some said 2 adults / 2 kids. Phone lady said it didn't matter if the extra kids are infants but it turned out that it did matter. Luckily my other reservation was 2 kids (1 kid / 1 infant) so these reservations were fine since I only needed a spot for 1 kid.

The desk agent had a lot of problems figuring out how to do these free night reservations that are all back to back and organize them in a way so that we don't have to change rooms every day. It was a lot of him going back and forth and him getting confused and him creating a spreadsheet to organize (with many mistakes) and in the end, he finally got it. He did say that I had 2 other 1 night reservations in the middle that I should cancel but I didn't get to the bottom of that one since he gave me 2 rooms for the week which is all I wanted.

12) The coffee shop is nice and it's great that it's open 24/7.

13) Restaurants were all decent. Blaze was good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (but service is slow). Asian restaurant was more like South Asian but was good as well. Casa Grande is always good. The buffet is best for breakfast. Italian is good for lunch but pizza was broken one afternoon (and service is really slow).

14) We took a taxi into old town one afternoon to walk malecon and get some dinner. It's close to the hotel and the taxi is cheap (like 60 or 80 pesos).

15) Rodrigo is a nice bell hop but we asked for a van to take us (+ our friend's family) to the airport on check out day. I booked it with him the day before but on the day of, there was no van. He said that the van service failed him. We ended up taking 3 cabs when no van showed up after waiting around 20 minutes.

16) Beach vendors are all fine. They aren't pushy. I felt bad for one older guy that we bought some stuff from and offered him some water but he said no...seemed to indicate that it was against policy and that security would kick him out if he drank water from a guest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.